Between the snow and the wetness

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Ingrid, Nov 9, 2006.

1. Ingrid

Ingrid KTM_Chick

Oddometer:
    I live between the Pacific Northwet and the Great White North - more specifically Vancouver Island, B.C.. Can I see a show of hands for any advriders from Victoria, or heck, anywhere close to here. Maybe we can hook up for a ride and a latte, or just chew the fat and pose in front of the local coffee shop. That can be fun too. I suppose I better post this in the Pacific Northwet forum also as I am not sure where this would be best posted.
  2. helikron

helikron The Fixer

Oddometer:
    :wave

See you in a month. :nod
    Moka House on Cook Street? First round is my treat, eh?

Are you still on your VFR?
  3. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Hi Ingrid. Mark here. I see from the VFR thread that you're thinking about getting a KLR in the spring and coming up here. I just got one about 1,800mi ago and am loving it. I see one of the guys in the thread commented about it bein a bit rough since it's a thumper. Yeah, comin from a smooth runnin 4 cyclinder, I'll bet! I'm glad I'm used to twins so the transition isn't so noticable.

Did you know there's gonna be about a hundred of us ADV'ers in Dawson for Solstice? Care to join us?

Do you have any kind of itinerary for AK? Ton of great info you can search out in this forum. Or just ask. A lot of us up here enjoy playin "tour guide." :D

A good buddy of mine has been datin a girl in Vancouver for a long time who's big into sportbikes. I think they both have VFR's down there.

Take care, Mark H.
  4. Ingrid

Ingrid KTM_Chick

Oddometer:
    Hi Mark, yes, we want to get 2 KLR's for the Spring. We saw 2 beautiful Dakars for sale in Montana, and believe me, I was tempted, but I hear they don't handle nearly as well as the KLR's for off road adventures. I prefer my bikes with ABS, but I love the KLR's so much, I am willing to make an exception here. Plus we really want to do ALOT of off road riding, and they simply handle better then the GS's (650's) and Dakars.

We'll see how things go, but Inuvik is the plan for next August, and well a trip out to Montreal via all the gorgeous States immediately south: Washington, Idaho, Montana, N & S Dakota for sure, and we'll figure out the rest as we go along. So many places to go and never enough time or money to do it all at once.

I owned the 650CS with ABS for almost a year, along with a CBR before flipping those 2 for a new VFR with VTEC and ABS. I LOVE the combination of sport and touring in that bike. Some magazines argue there isn't enough power, but I think they'll be fixing that with a 1000cc version soon enough. It works for me!!

I'd love to head north for solstice, see all those amzing northern lights, but alas I'll be working hard to finance my extended trip next summer. If you're ever this way, don't you dare do a drive by without stopping in for a beer.

:freaky
  5. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Lotsa KLR riders in your area on Dual Sport BC.com, I owned a KLR in the past and found it to be a great "all purpose" machine well suited to the Island.
  6. Ingrid

Ingrid KTM_Chick

Oddometer:
    So what would be the best cases for a bike like that? Hard, soft? I need cases that can cope being over packed, and "dual sport" tough - so to speak. And can I get them used or should I buy them new? Suggestions to my questions?
  7. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Hi Ingrid. I'm sure you'll find some good answers if you do a seach on KLR bags or if you start a thread in the 'Thumpers' forum. I can only imagine how many pages of replies you'll probably get in 'Thumpers!" :evil

See ya, Mark H.
  8. JTT

JTT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Greetings from the "Right" coast :wink:. There is lots of folks who like hard bags, however my feeling is, particularly for offroad, there is too much exposure to injury getting a leg jammed under a bag or such. The disadvantage to soft bags is the lack of security, but this isn't an issue if your not in an urban environment in most cases.

I have a pair of Wolfman Summit saddlebags that I got used from someone on here. These things are built tough. Overloading is not a problem for sure, they seem to eat it up and grin.

The one thing I will suggest is buy yourself some variety of supporting rack however (HT, or otherwise). I ran mine on a recent Labrador run, grossly overloaded, using only a little guard to hold them off the pipe. Well, with all the weight packed in the bag, they ended up pushing pretty good on the pipe I guess. There was no indication of damage to the bag, however when I unpacked them the heavy plastic liner bag I was using was melted into the contents :eek1. Removed the bag and found the side cover on the bike also partially melted. Wolfman bag barely showed it was ever warm....pretty impressive comment on bag quality, but didn't help the sheepskin with plastic melted into it much :cry.
  9. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    I've had good luck with the Moto-Sport Yukon panniers on my 640 Adventure. They're a semi rigid soft bag that come with full mounting framework and hardware for about $450 US for KLRs. Ed caters to Canadian customers by shipping via the post office so you avoid those outrageous broker fees. My bags are holding up well after over two years of use including 2 up traveling with the bags stuffed to the max.