Beverly Dunes Ride March 18-21

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by 88NX250, Mar 7, 2005.

1. 88NX250

88NX250 Team USA

Oddometer:
    I think that the theme for this ride should be "beached whales."

The dates 18-21 are totaly flexable still. The 18th is a Friday.

There are two good options for getting out to Beverly:
    1) Fast Way - I-90 out to the Columbia River.
    2) Senic Way - HWY 2 over Steven's Pass, through Levenworth, through Wenatchee, down HWY 28 along the shore of the Columbia River.

The fast route is about 140 miles each way and will take around 2.5 hours. The senic route is about 200 miles and will take around 4.5 hours.

My recomendation for this ride is to bring camping gear and camp out one night, ride the next day, camp out the second night, ride home the next day. I have tentative plans to stay at a friend's house about 30 miles from the dunes so if we have some people who chose to camp on the dunes then I will join you for atleast one night.

The area where we will be riding is much smaller then the Moses Lake area and in my experience, there are fewer crazies at Beverly. The issue of crazy dune people is a real one however because I think this is the first weekend of spring break from colleges (atleast from mine) so there is a chance that there might be some dumbness to observe. I will say again however that I think the chances of that are low.

There is a LARGE parking area to set up a tent or park a truck with a camper or a trailer if you trailer your bike in. Chances are that I will be bringing my bike down in my truck because I am planning on staying for longer then this ride will last. If I do end up driving down then I will have one more space for a bike in my truck.

If you have the ability to carry a cooler with some food I would recomend it because the nearest "stores" are gas stations and I think the closest real grocery store is about 30 miles away. **THERE IS NO RUNNING WATER AT THE DUNES** don't be mistaken, if you decide to spend the night then you are camping in a "rustic area." There were 2 porta-potties there last time I was there but I can't guarentee if they will be there again.

Some of you also know about "Saddle Mountain" which is a series of dunes on the side of a mountain and at the top of the dunes there is a single track that leads up to places un-known. Saddle Mountain is ~5 miles down the road from the Beverly dunes so there is pleanty of good exploring to be done!!

The theme is "beached whales" because I am picturing a group of fat DS bikes that have no buisness being in the dunes having way too much fun floundering around.

So there you go...just under 2 weeks notice!

Iain

PS - just for grins HERE is a picture of my crazy friend out near Beverly.
  2. 88NX250

88NX250 Team USA

Oddometer:
    OK here are is the map of the two routes incase you are not familiar with the area.

HERE

The YELLOW line is the Senic Route (HWY 2)

The PURPLE line is the Fast Route (I 90)

And just to give people an idea of what/how to pack if they need one: I will (most likely) be driving my truck down with my motorcycle, a cooler for food/water, a tent, sleeping bag and pads, wood to create a flat surface in the truck bed for camping (and to use to create ramps over soft sand if needed (VERY unlikely)), rain gear, cold gear, hot gear, camel-back, and a camp stove if any of my food needs it. A gas can also wouldn't be a bad idea, there is a gas station close by but that takes away from valueable dune time.

I don't know if fired are allowed at Beverly so I am going to assume they are not so that I am prepared (boy scout).

If you are not even remotely interested in riding in the sand then atleast consider taking the the ride on HWY 2 and making a loop back onto I 90 because if the weather is good then that is a VERY nice ride. If you take that option you will be around the 400 mile mark when you get home. Riding down, camping and riding back the next day with no dune riding is also an option but dont be suprised if people attempt to peer presure you into tearing it up a little.

ready....GO

Iain
  3. gs dakar

gs dakar live to ride

Oddometer:
    hey Iain...

any thoughts on throwing in small (say 20-30 mile) special somewhere in the rt #2 area?

either way I should be able to make this...
  4. 88NX250

88NX250 Team USA

Oddometer:
    Good suggestion!

That is always a posability. I don't have ANY first hand knowledge of what lies off the pavement in that area, but I have heard that there are a good deal of forest roads near Levenworth and also near Wenatchee.

Does anyone have any input on roads that we could link up in that area??

Iain
  5. gs dakar

gs dakar live to ride

Oddometer:
    i have some knowledge with lake wenachee and fish lake....remember there is no snow....this will be early to get to some elevation however some great rides....I'll do some searching :thumb
  6. 88NX250

88NX250 Team USA

Oddometer:
    sounds good. I will do some research as well.

Even if I drive the truck down I might be able to unload the bike for a special stage :thumb

Iain
  7. darkthought

darkthought pull my trunk

Oddometer:
    This sounds like fun! I will try to make this if I can re-arrange my schedule.
  8. 88NX250

88NX250 Team USA

Oddometer:
    Alright!

Another tid bit incase anyone is intersted.
    Just about 10-15 miles away across the river lies the Wanapum State Park which is the home of many many petrified trees.

I have been there and walked around on their viewing trails and I give it a rating of 10% cool, 90% dumb but if you like trees that are so old that they have turned into rocks then you will like it. It was interesting to think about how old those puppes were though...somewhere in the millions I think.

Iain
  9. Davidovich650

Davidovich650 KLR-ista

Oddometer:
    Anyone know if Denny Creek Rd is open? Other than the I-90 section from the North Bend east exit, to exit 42, and crossing the Columbia river, you can ride back roads from Puget Sound, all the way to Beverly. Way more enjoyable than that big black slab.

I can't make Sunday, but I just might pack the bike Friday morning and run over after work.
  10. 88NX250

88NX250 Team USA

Oddometer:
    I did Denny Creek Rd Eearlier in the winter in my truck and it was a little snowy but totaly passable. I would imagine that there is even less snow now. I can't say if it is closed due to road damage or not though.

Iain
  11. Davidovich650

Davidovich650 KLR-ista

Oddometer:
    I thought I heard the single-lane bridge was out - just west of the campground. You were able to drive over that? The one with the stop sign?

Has anyone been up it lately? It should be passable to the summit. Then there's the forest road from Gold Creek down to Kachess Lake. It's probably open too by now. Might make for an interesting mid-week/after-work ride, just to scout it out. Any adventurous souls out there? (now if that ain't a challenge, here, what is?)
  12. HighwayChile

HighwayChile greetings from Wa state

Oddometer:
    please post your ride after, cant go but i would like to know how much riding is still there, crab creek used to have a lot, saddle mtn too, ( busted a shoulder there at the desert 100 26 yrs ago) that friggin winery took over some good ridin area. have fun... :1drink
  13. gs dakar

gs dakar live to ride

Oddometer:
    Hey I am up for a sat or sun (this wkend) scout up to donnelly road, et al.

I was up in the woods just east of duvall the other evening. Took the cherry valley rd(not n.e. cherry valley rd) due east and had to get around a gate at the northwest end of the Mackworth exp. forest. I got lost in there for over two hours with gravel, mud, single tracks and many downed trees. Had to use the utility saw several times. It was getting dark so I aborted however was able to continue further east and south. Landed on the old cherry valley truck road and eventually onto stossel creek road. Great riding and somewhat technical in areas. The gate I passed had a sign indicating it should stay unlocked at all times...they lied. There were no other postings what so ever. This is a great area with lots of trails and logging roads.....anyone game.? :thumb
  14. Davidovich650

Davidovich650 KLR-ista

Oddometer:
    There's a ride planned for this area Friday March 25th - http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68061

Yeah, most people blow down the Cherry Valley Truck Rd/Stoessel Crk Wy and don't seem to explore the side roads. Plenty of stuff out there. Got up there in the snow earlier this year. Just high enough to run around on two or three inches of the white stuff, not high enough to hit heavy accumulation.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. gs dakar

gs dakar live to ride

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info re cherry valley...got up there again all sat afternoon...fun and great that it is so close by....
  16. gs dakar

gs dakar live to ride

Oddometer:
    just got back from the donnelly rd, hanson ck rd. etc,etc,etc....man there are a ton of roads up that way. May be a good start next sat am early as many may head over to beverly dunes. Some great washouts with basketball size rocks. I have some pretty good shots if I can figure how to feed them into this grey box.The terrain was vast and quite diverse. GS litre bikes could do this no prob but there would definately be some challanges.

Created some particular waypoints in the gps ( more damned buttons ) on many of the roads. I will try to get these posted. Altitute was upwards of 3800 plus / minus with some awesome views, temp read 58-62 F. Really some of the better D-Sport riding I've been on recently. Far better then Reiter pit some weeks back. I did not see one other bike out there the whole time. Merely some shooters and two or three misc 4x4

90 east to tinkhan rd exit to hanson creek rd. That heads generally south with many east and west spurs. Some major elevation rises (quickly) which means some of the jeep trails are very steep. I got onto the powerlines and finally saw all the mud and water crossings I needed. It was now over 4.5 hours of riding back there. I covered just over 68 miles and had enough.

great weekend for riding....

�*
  17. 88NX250

88NX250 Team USA

Oddometer:
    OK,

First off, I would like to appologize for not updating this at all. Excuses: finals, and replacing the transmission in my truck over the weekend.

I know that some, if not many, of you are thinking about making a little pilgramage out to the dunes this coming weekend. When are we planning on going out?

If we all chime in about when we are planning on riding out then we can get a gathering together.

I will be driving my truck out for camping purposes so go ahead and call me borring if you must.

As I posted origionaly, I will be free to be at Beverly as early as Friday, but if no one is planning on going out until Saterday then I might wait until Sat morning to leave.

No matter which way route you take, these last 3 directions will be the same:

Take exit 137 to the right onto Hwy 26
    Bear right onto Hwy 243
    Turn left onto Lower Crab Creek Rd W

From Lower Crab Creek Rd, you will see the parking area and there should some vehicles there. That is where I will be camping.
  18. gs dakar

gs dakar live to ride

Oddometer:
    here is a link to some images during my ride up to hanson crk rd. Planning on meeting up somewhere in carnation or n bend around 7:30-8am on sat, if anyone is game for denny crk and hanson crk roads, et al. might be good for a lunch stop on top of one of those peaks, en route to beverly dunes

http://homepage.mac.com/rrobin4x5/PhotoAlbum1.html

Iain, all of these roads are 4x4 trails and somewhat technical depending on your choice of route. may be a good reason to try out the new tranny.

this is my first photo link...apologies for any technical glitches. :bmwrider
  19. gs dakar

gs dakar live to ride

Oddometer:
    or better yet..... we can just pop out the o'bike from the truck and toss her back in when you are done.
  20. 88NX250

88NX250 Team USA

Oddometer:
    OK. I am fairly confident in the truck's ability to go most anywhere but so long as the adventure will take us back to the truck then I wouldn't mind popping the bike out...not like its hard hahaha

Iain

PS- your picture worked great.

PPS - THIS is my truck