Beverly Dunes Ride March 18-21

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by 88NX250, Mar 7, 2005.

1. 88NX250

88NX250 Team USA

Oddometer:
    BUMP+

I would still like to get a ROLL CALL for this! Let me know when you are planning on going to and when you will be leaving so I can plan the events.

Here is some incentive: PIC

That is a map of a route that I have laid out for us. That is a 72 mile loop that should include some great hill hopping and awsome views overlooking the Columbia, the Beverly dunes, and the surrounding area. I have never riden this loop and it is planned out totaly off of the roads that are shown in my GPS software so it should be an adventure to say the least. That loop will most likely take us past the TOP of Saddle Mountain which will give us an oportunity for an "easy" out if we need it. The dunes will get a bit boring I am sure so we can give this route a go after we finish exploring the sand.

So lets try to get a roll call going here. I know Ron is heading out early Sat morning and I will probably be going with him then unless anyone else is planning on being at the dunes Friday night. Ron and I are planning a little lunch adventure to get the gravel and dirt out of your system before the 100+ miles of slab.
  2. Davidovich650

Davidovich650 KLR-ista

Oddometer:
    Iain,

I'm heading over Friday after work. No doubt I'll be setting up camp in the dark. I'll just go to the back-left of the ORV parking area and camp under the trees. I'm only staying Friday night though - I'll be bugging out around dusk Saturday afternoon - so I may miss the Saddle Mtn loop you've got planned. I'd like to have my little bike for that anyway.
    So don't worry about rushing over Friday. Enjoy the journey. We'll get a few good photo-ops in Saturday afternoon horseing the 650's around in the sand.

Tacking on a few pics of Beverly from last year. They don't do it justice. We'll do better this time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. LarryB

LarryB Baja GPS Maps, LBMaps.com

Oddometer:
    A fun pic from the SaddleBack dunes looking north up the Columbia River.
    [​IMG]
  4. gs dakar

gs dakar live to ride

Oddometer:
    i think darin, Iain, and myself(Ron) may be heading over early sat am so we will run into you (Davidovich650) and hopefully others in the early afternoon. Any other takers for earlt sat am???....looking forward to it....yea
  5. darkthought

darkthought pull my trunk

Oddometer:
    Iain, et. al.,

I'll be heading out with Dave on Friday. See you guys when you get there!

- Brian
  6. gs dakar

gs dakar live to ride

Oddometer:
    what is the saddle mt loop ride....is there a way from the pass to beverly or close by? Thanks...sorry but many of these roads are new to me...bike is only 6 months old.
  7. 88NX250

88NX250 Team USA

Oddometer:
    The Saddle Mtn Loop is just a trip that I whipped up using the GPS software tonight. It will basicaly just make a large circle around Beverly in the surrounding hills.

I don't know of any way from Snowqualmie pass to Bev other then I-90 but I am sure that there are sections that could be done on gravel. Ron, you should get on your GPS software and see if you can put together some gravel segments.

I have been thinking about when I am going to go to the dunes and I am thinking I might drive out on Friday in the afternoon. If Ron and Darin will be riding together out to Beverly then I can suply you with a GPS route to take you right to the staging area. My truck is NOT a high speed tool and I would be slowing you two down badly on the freeway. I am not pressed for time on Friday so I may just take a relaxed drive out in the afternoon and get my camp set up.

Ron and/or Darin, do you two think you can handle getting out there on your own if I suply a GPS route? If you are not comfortable with finding you way then I would be willing to wait until Saterday morning.

Iain
  8. GODSPEED

GODSPEED finger lickin' good

Oddometer:
    Davidovich, said something about all gravel roads except for a small section. The weather sounds like it might be interesting at the pass this weekend.
  9. gs dakar

gs dakar live to ride

Oddometer:
    Iain,

no prob...I am sure I can get out there. Just post a lat/long and I can plug it in. As far as posting some coordinates, I am still learning with the GPS software but will try. I can at least post segmented routes with headings by going back in and sourcing my waypoints. I will open up the garmin mapsource ( this is going to be painful) and see what kind of trouble I can get into. As it is, I had to buy a PC of all things (mac addict) just to download into the unit...anyway here goes....

FYI Darin and I will be at the cascade golf course off exit 32 in northbend at 8am sat morning...I am sure there is a cafe / restaurant located there....cup of coffee and we're off. It is snowing in the mts as I type this..should be interesting...
  10. 88NX250

88NX250 Team USA

Oddometer:
    OK...

[​IMG]
    SNOWqualmie Pass
    (if that link works)

This could be interesting as they are expecting another "snow flurry" on Sat.

The weather at the dunes is supposed to be mild (mid 50s) with some overcast and then rain showers on Sat.

I am still in regardless and I should be leaving on Friday in the afternoon some time.

Iain

Oh yea... If you were thinking of taking Stevens and just skirting Snowqualmie pass...its WORSE.
    [​IMG]

Enjoy!
  11. gs dakar

gs dakar live to ride

Oddometer:
    does les schwab have any more chains for 650s
  12. Davidovich650

Davidovich650 KLR-ista

Oddometer:
    Well... crap. I want to go camping, dangit. I'm still going to attempt it Friday after work. If I have to turn around, so be it.

The skinny on I-90, is to take exit 42 and parallel 90 on Tinkham Rd. Cross under to the north, then take Denny Creek rd to the summit. Drive past Summit West & Central, down to Hyak (sorry - oldschool), cross under the freeway and take the right turn after the westbound freeway on-ramp. There's a frontage road that parallels 90 on the north side of the freeway heading east. You've done this section Iain. It dumps out at Kachess Lk Rd. There's a spur rd along the SW edge of Kachess Lk that will get you to Easton, or you can go the long way on the south side of 90 and do the Cabin Creek crossing. There are two ways to take gravel to the next freeway interchange - exit 80. One on the north, one on the south of 90. From there, it's back roads - paved - into Ellensburg - SR10 is SWEET. From Ellensburg, take the Vantage Hwy east to Vantage - another very nice, quiet section of riding on any bike. So, from Issaquah to Vantage - 120 miles on the big slab, you can do all but about 8 miles on back roads and gravel.
  13. gs dakar

gs dakar live to ride

Oddometer:
    great info...thanks again...you should put together a "best roads(trails) of washington....I"ll buy one..

I was wondering should a plan b happen in the event of really crappy weather. We have the momentum with a good number of people.....just a thought...not trying to rain on Iain's plan....its a great plan
  14. 88NX250

88NX250 Team USA

Oddometer:
    OK. With the weather as it is, I will still be heading out on Friday in the afternoon. The way I see it is wet sand makes the riding easier :)

It will be a bummer if we get rained on but the snow on the pass wont give me trouble in my truck.

Have you gotten your electric clothing yet David?

Iain
  15. Davidovich650

Davidovich650 KLR-ista

Oddometer:
    Got the Gerbing vest going. It's awesome. The grip heaters - well - ran into a metalics problem - lead in my butt. Should have them finished tonight - after I mount a new rear tire on the BigGreenBeast.
    Yeah - snow. Who'd a thunk it. I've been looking at NWAC - Don't know if y'all know about the Northwest Avalanche Center's website. They have something like 30 towers located up and down the Cascades with 60 minute old telemetry sent from the towers to NOAA via modem, then downloaded to the website, with temps, humidity, wind speed, precipitation, and snow accumulation. Go to http://www.nwac.us/mtnweather.htm and pick your area. For Snoqualmie, as of 16:00hrs, at 3,000ft, it's 38 degrees F, no precip since 08:00.
    But the forecast for Saturday stinks. Getting back over the pass on compact snow on the KLR would be a first! Kinda sounds like fun!
  16. gs dakar

gs dakar live to ride

Oddometer:
    just installed studs on the tires.... :thumb
  17. 88NX250

88NX250 Team USA

Oddometer:
    Well Dave, if worse comes to worse...you might just be land-locked at the dunes for another day and then be forced to go explore the hills. Then I could give you a ride back in my nice warm truck :)

I will be going to the dunes tomarrow!

Leaving in the early afternoon and probably exploring a little on my own. My plan is to have some food ready to cook so I can warm up the hearty adventurers as then roll into camp and set up tents under the light of my sealed beam halogens :)

I am going to go the store tomarrow to stock up on top ramem, beef jerkey, gatorade, GORP, a loaf of bread and some PBJ. If everything works out I will bring my "camping box" it is the ultimate in car camping accessories, and even home made!

See you there!!

Iain
  18. 88NX250

88NX250 Team USA

Oddometer:
    OK guys, the weather actually looks really nice right now. I am the highway!

I should be there in 2-3 hours (3:30-4:30)

Look for a black ranger (in the dark) at the back left of the staging area near the trees.

Good luck guys!

Iain
  19. Darin

Darin WYSIWYG (WIZ-zee-wig)

Oddometer:
    I'll be there with GS Dakar in the AM, looking forward to more adventure riding with the bOyZ

Lets ride.:D

Darin
  20. 88NX250

88NX250 Team USA

Oddometer:
    This is Bethany (Iain's girlfriend) posting for Iain. He wants me to tell you guys that he is happy and well in Beverly, rocking out to the CLEAR rock radio station and playing in the dunes (not very well, he adds). He has set up camp and he's ready to welcome anyone and everyone who shows. He has cell phone reception if anyone needs to call him to ask about directions, location, gear, or just wants to chat 425 nine.two.two 1627. He says it's beautiful and that you're all missing a great sunset. He says, "Looking forward to seeing you all."

Have fun guys. (I know you will) ;)

Bethany