Beware Mexico border xing EaglePass tx

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Migolito, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Migolito

Migolito Prognosticator and MotoYogi

Oddometer:
  2. Hohmie

Hohmie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info, I feel this is relevant to us, we will see if they punt it.
    Migolito likes this.
  3. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Skizzman mentioned the event on Saturday as it was going on and Ohio Danimal had this story referenced with this link
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...2ae348-1450-11ea-80d6-d0ca7007273f_story.html

That Washington Post item does a much better job of it , clearly locating the town as being Villa Union which is east of Allende ,Coahuila .
    The Fox News story gives the impression that it was a shootout in the border town Piedras Negras itself. Sloppy journalism

And why would you expect it to get punted ?
  4. ApexJeff

ApexJeff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It would be in IMS,
  5. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    SB- for the sake of argument the 2nd paragraph in the Fox news writeup clearly states the town you state yourself above "Villa Union".
    The thread that got punted became somewhat hinting of politics and I understood why it was tossed.
    Not that it's a perfect piece either...:-)
    Honestly, many, many news reports from most news sources tend to put whatever emphaisis they lean toward on those reports. It pisses me off on my local TV news at not only how shallow the reporting but the strongly seen aspect of dramatizing the misery of others such as vehicle accidents. My nearest neighbor is a KY State cop and also a primary accident investigator and he too sees mostly erroneous reports. One fairly recent incident a father pulled out and at fault yet the news people repeatedly said his vehicle slid in the gravel. That mans 10 year old daughter was killed by his negligence but not per the report.

If we let it become such that pointing fingers at either the so-called liberal or conservative news sources, then all is lost here, credibility wise? :nod
    :wave

My take on the event is that it happened, it was horrible and it's over (lets hope?) and that it didn't actually affect crossing at Eagle Pass nor using Allende for a TVIP?
    Migolito likes this.
  6. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    my mistake , Mike , .although I feel it might have been elaborated a bit after the initial post by Fox .
    It certainly has a lot more comments added.
    After already having read the other report I think I probably shut down, deja vu, and stopped reading at the first commercial interruption . I was likely influenced by the implication of the title of the thread suggesting that it was at the actual border .

I find it incredibly vain and stupid of those cartel goons to have the nerve to paint their trucks with the initials of their criminal clique .
  7. Migolito

Oddometer:
    There was zero implication or suggestion in the title of the thread that the violence occured at the Border. Zero, none, Nada. The point of the thread was to provide a heads up to those folks heading towards, from either side, the Eagle Pass crossing...which is a major crossing point. Villa Union is only 43 miles from the crossing and 12 miles from Allende (which is a major route crossroad town). Thats pretty close IMO.
    ApexJeff likes this.
  8. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    My wife and I both worked in a prison and I was a teacher and superintendent of a juvy treatment program. While prisons are full of some very smart people, the majority of crooks are not so smart. I know this from direct, personal contact. I can only imagine a Mexican crook is quite similar to the further north version overall. The smart ones tend to lead the dumb ones around on a string too. The drug/pill head thing here is sort of like when we had the draft in the USA, now more of a cross section goes to jail due to drug crimes.
    No matter the words used by news agencies of any political bent- THEY ALL GO FOR DRAMA AND TRYING FOR YOUR ATTENTION!
    My DIL, knowing I'm a Mexico lover/traveler, sent me a link to the Mexican avocado growing area cartel problems. Her husband, our son is a vegan and lives on avocados to a large extent! At thanksgiving she ask me about going to the Dominican Republic, to which I've never been before cause Mexico's dangerous. I told her I preferred Mexico still but would consider a shared trip to DR but only if we did not stay at a mega resort.
    Painting the trucks was probably an "under the influence move" on the part of somebody?
  9. ApexJeff

Oddometer:
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  10. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    43 miles might seem close but I would consider that a safe distance from downtown Baltimore or Chicago.
    kantuckid likes this.
  11. ApexJeff

Oddometer:
    To be clear, I love Mexico, have a casa here. These idiots are changing the rules, used to be that Americans were hands off. I think we have an obligation to post useful information, good or bad, and let the readers decide. No politics? Shit, I take issue with some threads being "punted" because the mods determined it came from an unreliable or biased source, I can determine that without any any censorship.
    MAXVERT and Migolito like this.
  12. Migolito

Oddometer:
    Very well said.
  13. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree most of us are mature and controlled enough to talk Mexico or news sources or even the Middle East but in the end a thread that allows religion or politics is probably doomed. Another e.g. of a thread topic here that usually has a predictable path is the "carry a gun to be safe from bears":lol2
    I just went back and re-read the thread that got locked down and without me pointing any fingers, there were at least three specific comments there that would have resulted in myself as a MOD, locking down the thread! They all involved some form of a slight toward Fox News. I'm not at all interested in anything here and now except to have an adult discussion as to why that thread became toxic. Say what you may be thinking and this one will die as well. I also happen to be one who watches Fox news and read two newspapers (one from my closest city is even more liberal than the NYT's and that's not easy to pull off!:rofl), including the NYT's which I tend to not agree with about 97% of the time...:-) In my world real people don't march in lock step to any one news source or political party. If, and it's a big IF!!! at that, we had a viable 3rd party I'd belong but for now I remain a diligent mutli-party guy who has leanings in many directions depending on the topic.

When you call any news source faux, the thread will get the boot, there's little mystery there and wasn't about ability to have mature viewpoints! . :nod
    severely likes this.
  14. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Reminds of this guy I ran into at the farm supply. He was talking runing his dogs with the guy who loads us and I casually asked him where he runs them? Turns out it was on my land! I kept my cool but mentioned that it was my place and did he know that I had a shooting range (true) there? and left it at that. Sometimes close is close, other times it's not so dangerous. Having been a pedestrian in Baltimore leaving a baseball game I can say that I felt less than safe in a certain locality there.
    ApexJeff likes this.
  15. Migolito

Oddometer:
    Agreed with what you said above. Instead of locking the thread, and thereby giving Veto power to those who have an agenda, the Mods should simply delete the specific post with a private warning that should it happen again a timed ban will occur. I've noticed, as you have already pointed out, that certain topics illicit a response that are destined to shut down the topic. I believed this topic was pretty neutral and might be appreciated by those heading home after the holiday.
    ApexJeff likes this.
  16. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree on the topic itself as worthy but stand by IMO, statements therein having pointed out that it wasn't the topic that got the thread canned, it was those statements about Fox news, which is a very hot button notion for many (not all of them) people who hold liberal political viewpoints.
    Migolito likes this.
  17. ApexJeff

Oddometer:
    IMO, its kinda like how the thread is titled, IMS? It leads newer riders new to actually answer and discuss Mexico safety, but its about taco stands and circle jerking, don't get mad, its a fantastic thread but if anyone references "BEWARE " it will get "punted" and wished a short life. I too read 2 papers and watch CNN and fox,
    I just don't want to bad mouth the US, while comparing it to Mexico, its not the right way to endorse Mexico. In our adventures we should respect and abide (sorry Dude) its amazing how well that works, ask the Texas hunters, its a shame they don't want to come back
    Smiles
  18. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    :snore
    MAXVERT likes this.