Beyond blanking plates: canisterectomy, questions & pics

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by jhank, Mar 21, 2006.

1. cpmodem

cpmodem Orange Caveman

Oddometer:
    masa yee yah tee 59° 14' 9" N / 135° 26' 42" W
    The 275mm 250 mm individual hose method is what was the original bowl vent design. These were seen on 2003 and early 2004 bikes. The canister on those bikes was used with the fuel tank vents only. The carbs were vented to atmosphere through said individual lines to a point under the airbox. The lengths specified in the TSB you refered to position the vents at the very bottom of the "V" formed by the cylinders. Right next to the starter.

On later bikes the vacumn valve was also connected to the carb bowl vents. Since there was only one open fitting left on the valve (Mikuni), the carb vents were wyed together in the airbox and the single line from the wye went directly into the Mikuni valve which was bolted to the bottom outside of the airbox (early bikes located the valve next to the canister).

You can, of course, leave the wye in place and run a single line to the outside of the airbox sans the vacumn valve. Many have done it that way. The dual line retrofit is mearly us "purists" trying to get our Katooms back to the way the original engineers designed it. IOW, as far from the smog feces as possible.

I would leave said hose to terminate in the same place as the dual vents, in the "V" next to the starter, though. Some folks have reported odd anomalies when long lengths of carb vent hoses or elaborate routing of the hose was done. KISS is the operative word here. No gain is to be made by elaborate routing methods. Same goes for the tank vents. Elaborate routing methods and devices just add to the complexity of what should be very simple. Complexity is just asking for problems sometime in the future.

Just sayin
    :freaky
  2. DakarNick

DakarNick Swabee

Oddometer:
    CP, thanks as always! You explained that very well! I will be removing the longer hose and let it termintate just under the airbox!
  3. teti

teti especie en extincion ®

Oddometer:
    estimados escribo en castellano y pido ayuda a kiwi para q traduzca, q opinan de quitar el SLS o aire secundario con los escapes originales, ya q e leido en algunos post q no es aconsejable, q saben ustedes?,

saludos atte

teti

What my friend Teti wants to know is if it's advisable to remove the SAS while keeping the stock mufflers on, as he has read somewhere that this might not be a good idea... suggestions, anyone?

He also apologizes if there is any thread on this particular topic already bouncing around, but he hasn't found any.

Ok, I did my part, now I'll shut up.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=349142

<!-- / message -->
  4. teti

teti especie en extincion ®

Oddometer:
    la otra pregunta es en las 990 con EFI, si sacamos todo de raiz (cables y valvulas) la ECU informa error ? , hay q hacer algun cableado para evitar esto ?

pido nuevamente ayuda a kiwi

gracias y saludos a todos

teti
  5. Splisken

Splisken I'm not dead yet...

Oddometer:
    Hey All,
    So...a lot of the old "How" articles are drying up and giving 404 errors or photo collections have disappeared. My 950se had the canisterectomy done many years ago and runs great; however, when I recently pulled off my tank for some maintenance I discovered a couple of hoses hanging in there that are driving me nuts and I don't remember what all I did during the 'ectomy now. The hoses I refer are attached to the carbs (see photos). I am assuming I can get rid of these hoses entirely and cap their sources (this is my question)? I might as well eliminate anything useless while I'm in here.
    MysteryHose-End.jpg (this hose used to run up inside the snorkel. Now it apparently hangs in space uncapped??? I went to the Rottweiler filter when I did the 'ectomy years ago.)
    MysteryHose-Midline.jpg (this is the mid-line of the above hose. The arrow points to the end of the hose in above photo; the white plastic fitting "T" has a hose that routes to the right side of the rear carb and is out of sight in this shot. The hose continues after the "T" and connects to the rear carb as shown below).
    RearCarb-HoseStart.jpg (this is where the above hose starts on the brass fitting. It is on the rear carb left side - rider's perspective).

I'm assuming I can simply remove all of this hose and cap the two end points? It seems silly to have these open to unfiltered air if they aren't required.