Beyond Starbucks

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by fudgypup, Dec 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. herrhelmet

herrhelmet Land n sea adv

Oddometer:

So, Rob, if leaving our bikes in a heap at the back of a biker bar offended the dudes so much they threw their shit all over my bike----like monkeys I might add, what will the decafe-latte drinking metrosexuals do to the the bikes at Scarfucks?
  2. notmybikemodelname

notmybikemodelname KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer:
    Nothing..................No balls
  3. fudgypup

fudgypup Banned

Oddometer:
  4. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:
    I'm in Eric...got one of each 'big bike'...primarily road and primarily dirt. :thumb

I mentioned Zion if you plan on going again.

August next year I'm planning to tow bikes up to Seattle and either ride Vancouver Island or into the interior of BC. If I had more time would take the Alaska Ferry up and ride back, but I think that would take more time than 4 or 5 days once I get there. I'm pushing it to get 2 weeks at a time, but have about a month of PTO. :D

650 Versys

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the Husky 630

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    They would probably call the police to report a traffic accident.

Now that I think about it, I should probably read the damn Aprilia manual. It has a tip-over sensor under the seat, which cuts off fuel, that will require a password to reset. :huh It would be embarrasing to have to call my wife out to Starbucks with the manual, or worse, a tow truck.:lol3
  6. herrhelmet

herrhelmet Land n sea adv

Oddometer:
    My answer too. Guess well have to do that for them as well...!
  7. notmybikemodelname

notmybikemodelname KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer:
    Hey Fudgy, with as many hits as this thread has got in 24 hours, I think you struck a chord with not only the new/noob members here, but maybe reminded some of us vets that we might need to reconnect with some old friends. I mean bikes, not people :rofl

So I went out in the garage last night and had a few drinks with the BMW, and made the KTM just watch.:freaky
  8. CA Stu

CA Stu Peace and love

Oddometer:
    My TE 610 is my small bike. :D
  9. fudgypup

fudgypup Banned

Oddometer:
    Zion is probably the best big bike type trip I've taken and would love to do that again. That could be a contender for the one major big bike ride for this thread next year. That Versys is perfect for that too. If I don't do that Continental Divide trip in Aug, I'd love to join you on the AK trip as I can only take 2 weeks at once as well.
  10. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:
    Driving time to Seattle from here is 22 hours. It's 1250 miles from LA basin to Marysville WA, just north of Seattle. Can be done in two days but two and a half to three is better. I've done it several times, being from there. Wife's folks are there so will leave the fam there in the RV with them and ride from there.

For two weeks the ride could probably be stretched into 7,maybe 8 days. The AK trip could be done but it might be rushed with a lot of long-mile days. I think it's about 3K miles from Anchorage. But there are shorter stop-offs on the ferry run up there. Could be tailored to fit the allotted time. I could also throw your bike on the trailer and you could fly up, ride from there.

Did you see this RR? http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=714304 Nice story about a guy and his son, 2-up, making the trip up from Portland and the ferry back.

My thought was TE for Vancouver Island, or Versys for a long road trip, AK or northern BC. Up to Dawson Creek is pretty scenic, thru BC and into Yukon.

BTW, I picked up Dirtbagz for the husky at the bike show. Ready for camping off the bike. The Versys is already setup, did 1000 mile tour of Sierras in June this year.
  11. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:

eric.....good reading....many of the statements i felt touched.....:lol3
  12. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    I was gonna say, for years my XR650R was my small bike. :deal
  13. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target

Oddometer:
    cant wait to see you pick that thing up...

:1drink
  14. CA Stu

CA Stu Peace and love

Oddometer:
    Sweet rig!
  15. fudgypup

fudgypup Banned

Oddometer:
    Iron Butt would make a great big bike goal this year.

How many of you FF's have done one?

I know Geoffster did one not too long ago by going from the LA area down to San Diego, over to Tucson, up to Flagstaff, then back here.
  16. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    Nice job Fudgy, now I finally get the text messages a couple of weeks ago. Just got back on the grid after a much needed surf trip ... oh I love warm air, warm water and tiny bikinis in DEC ... and bam! Who actually made the one millionth "starbucks" comment that caused the thread to go live <?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape style="WIDTH: 11.25pt; HEIGHT: 11.25pt; VISIBILITY: visible; mso-wrap-style: square" id=Picture_x0020_1 alt="Description: 0" type="#_x0000_t75" o:spid="_x0000_i1025"><v:imagedata o:title="0" src="file:///C:\Users\TRICHA~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Reading thru the comments, it's good to see everyone so stoked. As for the nature of our big bikes and what they are capable of, you can only imagine how big my smile was riding by all the guys with their bikes on trucks and trailers rolling the 15 south after LAB2V. Then for the extra scoop, riding the same bike on my regular commute to work the next day. <o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Of course I’m in!<o:p></o:p>
  17. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    Already have. :baldy

Actually, with the cylinders sticking out and propping it up, it's actually easier to pick up than my 800. WAY easier.
  18. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    It's all about leverage ... and hitting the gym

[​IMG]
  19. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:

you're an animal todd, built like a bull....:bow

show up next month at the carrizo ride. geared for all big bikes, 400 miles, though all small bikes are also welcome. i'll post up the details soon.

hi scott!

until you discovered the little brother...xr400, love mine.
  20. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.