Beyond Starbucks

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by fudgypup, Dec 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    look up the "MotoDude" tumblr, you'll like that one a lot! Heck, I bet the DBRA (Dirt Bike Riding Authority) would even like it. Geez, for all I know this is one of them.

Quote from his profile:

"Life on two wheels, from Old School Motorcycles to Modern Machinery. This is a glimpse in the mind of a true MotoDude...SoCal style."
  2. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:
    Yep, here's one. Except mine was a 400. First year KTM bikes came to this country with their name on them. In 1977 they were Pentons.

[​IMG]

Here it is...my first real enduro. 1973 Penton 125 ISDT - International Six Days Trials

[​IMG]
  3. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    END OF THE WORLD REPORT

cool guy riding a big pig on single track ... blasphemy!

[​IMG]

Must be some crazy Euro ... you obviously can't to that in CA.
  4. Geoffster

Geoffster Fool - Born This Way

Oddometer:
    My yearning to replace my 19" front wheel with a 21" just vaporized. REAL men ride 19s!

And my bike desperately needs another lung.
  5. notmybikemodelname

notmybikemodelname KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer:
    Funny thing is Todd, you claim you don't want to create issues, then there you are being a dick and baiting people.

Let's just face it, we're all dicks and we all like schism. Comes with having an A type personailty, so my wife says. Don't lie, you'll just look like a liar. :1drink

Once you can admit it to yourself, you'll feel a lot better
  6. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:

Hear - Hear ... I totally agree with you and I know I am a major leauge dick. There is a great line in the movie Patton where he says something like "I know I'm a prima donna but what I don't like about that son of bitch is he can't admit he is too." I use it all the time.

Really I'm not trying to bait anyone, just looking for someone to answer up to where he gets off telling me or anyone else where or what I can ride, that's all. Just Ride!
  7. macadamia

macadamia XK Red 27 Technique

Oddometer:
    you have a long way to go to be a master baiter like some of the others around here... :deal
  8. Cannabinoid

Cannabinoid Banned

Oddometer:
    I don't tell anyone what they can and should or should not ride. Ride the world and ride whatever you want.

Riding a huge a$$ tank in places that would be much more enjoyable with a smaller nimble bike, seems an excercise in futility. However, people who poke fun and tell me what I can't do...well, that just pisses me off and I go right out and do some stupid sh1t to prove to them "F You", don't tell me what I can and can't do.

Different tools for different applications. I can use a wrench of the appropriate size, or I can use a channel lock to tighten bolts. They both will do the job, but I'll work alot harder with one. My hats off to the guys running 900lb bikes up mountains, but riding my 450 lb bike has proven to me I want to go smaller and lighter to ENJOY myself more.

To each their own!

P.S. My "beyond Starbucks" consisted of a making their italian roast in my tent at 7700 feet at 5 am while freezing my nuts off. I may be beyond starbucks, but that magic drug filled drink, is not beyond me.
  9. Motomochila

Motomochila Moto Scientist and time traveler

Oddometer:
    I'll step into this one, if only to join up with some new riders. Been doing solo, (tough to take the group photos this way).

Fudgy, how about meeting in Lone Pine and doing a two day along the Eastern Sierra's? Plenty of dirt roads with Bodie and Aurrora as stops, or the White's along the "forgotten" mountains of the Sierra's. Ther are more than enough easy dirt roads and relatively simple single tracks to get you feet wet on. Another great loop is out of Kernville with dirt roads through glennville and along the western side of the Sierra's. Easy bail outs and gas/food with cool camp spots high up in the trees.

No matter, I'd like to ride along wit ya'll...
  10. fudgypup

fudgypup Banned

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the route ideas. I was talking with Browneye last night and he recommended the Sierras too. If you have any tracks you can forward, please do. My email is my adv username at yahoo dot com.

It has to be scenic enough to get people's interest and avoid the "droning" factor. 310 miles a day means a lot of slab too; you just can't do that much dirt in a day. The difficulty level also has to be very easy. It's meant to be an intro to adventure.

Just a reminder, we're meeting at Pizza Port this Saturday in San Clemente at 5:00 to discuss routes, dates, etc...

I'm sure we'll come up with something great and just start small and see where it goes.
  11. notmybikemodelname

notmybikemodelname KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer:

Sure you can, no problem. The shortest day we've ever done on the KotW was 258 miles of crazy ass shit from Ely, NV to Brianhead, UT, with less than 10 miles of slab. The first day of the 2010 KotW was 419 miles and almost all of it dirt, except for maybe 45 miles, from the Piutes all the way to Moapa, NV. 310 miles of the stuff you guys will ride is simple dimple.
  12. MotorCade

MotorCade Rugby whore

Oddometer:
    Keep the updates coming for those of us who can't get down that way saturday. This looks fun.
  13. fudgypup

fudgypup Banned

Oddometer:
    This would be more like "n00bs" of the West than Kings. To use a golf analogy, the KoTW guys regularly shoot in the 70's while this crowd would be lucky to break 100. It fits with the "Beyond Starbucks" theme of getting people who ride adventure bikes but don't do adventure riding beyond their local coffee shop. Make it too hard and they'll just stay there sipping their lattes.
  14. MNCherryinCA

MNCherryinCA KTM Noob

Oddometer:

or guys that ride desert racing 600cc bikes who still are more comfortable sipping venti bold:lol3
  15. nomad5326

nomad5326 Xventurous

Oddometer:
  16. MotorCade

MotorCade Rugby whore

Oddometer:
    Some of us just purchased an adventure bike and are looking to start treating it like one <---- :evil

Depending on how the trails are, this might be something I repeat later with my 7 year old aboard - which means noob friendly routes are great.
  17. fudgypup

fudgypup Banned

Oddometer:
    That's the first trail I looked at! I'd have to ride it myself but was initially thinking that would be a good first half of day one going north to Idyllwild then on to Big Bear/Arrowhead area perhaps.
  18. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:
    My Versys just sold....YAY!!! :freaky
  19. macadamia

macadamia XK Red 27 Technique

Oddometer:
    Yeah! I never had the heart to tell you that you just looked weird on that bike... :deal
  20. fudgypup

fudgypup Banned

Oddometer:
    Anyone up for doing this on Saturday?

I'd want to meet in Ramona at 8:00 and leave there by 8:30. Do tracks 1-14 but turn right at Hwy 76 halfway through the last track in order to get back to San Clemente by 5:00 (Pizza Port).

I don't want to lolligag and take a bunch of pictures; just do the route as quickly as possible, stopping for lunch and not a whole lot more. Skill level should be intermediate or higher so we get it all in in time.

A lot of this will be at elevation but it will be HOT at the lower altitudes. I'm seeing 93 in Temecula Saturday. Maybe I'll bring my new cool vest?

Do you SD guys think this is possible or do we need to leave earlier? Start at 8:30 and at the 76 by 3:30?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.