Beyond Starbucks

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by fudgypup, Dec 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jnyrav

jnyrav Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. M1Jeep

M1Jeep Long timer

Oddometer:
    Happy belated birthday, Eric! :beer
  3. fudgypup

fudgypup Banned

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ak6-l4QON0I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ha ha: "the bmw is very difficult to control the front end in the dirt."

no kidding?:lol3

Glad I got the 21" front wheel.
  4. roundtripping

roundtripping Adventourist

Oddometer:
  5. fudgypup

fudgypup Banned

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Jnyrav and i up here putting stickers everywhere
  6. fudgypup

fudgypup Banned

Oddometer:
    Got started at Silverado Cafe around 7:00 tonight w/Jnyrav. Bikes were looking real clean
    [​IMG]

Got up to Main Divide and took a little break to enjoy the scenery

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks so much, Jnyrav, for letting me ride up in your dust trail. I'm just a wreck!

[​IMG]

And just look at you! Simply Be-DAZZLED!

[​IMG]

Good times...

[​IMG]
  7. MNCherryinCA

MNCherryinCA KTM Noob

Oddometer:
    Fabulous pic of JNRAV!
  8. FYYFF

FYYFF Forever young...

Oddometer:
    Good pictures guys. Sorry I missed the ride but I was bonding with my in laws... :lol3
  9. fudgypup

fudgypup Banned

Oddometer:
    On the SoCal Dual Sport Riders facebook page, there's a guy in Newport Beach selling his '10 GSA with 1200 miles on it! It's pretty farkled too. $18k.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  10. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    Looks like this is where the "orange mocha frapachino" video should have gone :D
  11. Luv2putt

Luv2putt RETIRED!!

Oddometer:
    Hey Doc, is this the result of selling the big bike?
  12. fudgypup

fudgypup Banned

Oddometer:
    I know! I just get lost in his eyes! :toney

C'mon, man, that is SO 1984. While we didn't perform Wham!'s classic "Wake Me Up," we did work on a few Glee routines, namely "Don't Stop Believin'" (a capella of course). :wings

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xIoSTbPt_PI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  13. fudgypup

fudgypup Banned

Oddometer:
    I remember learning to surf way back in 1986 I didn't just grab my board and head out with the rest of the gang. I had to spend some time; quite a lot of time in the "shore slop" learning the basics of how to position myself on the board, when and how hard to paddle, when to lean forward, how to get up on the board, how to turn, etc... I wasn't such a fat fuck back then (~190 lbs compared to 235 now) but I was still tall and my board probably wasn't as long as it should have been. Basically, it took me a LONG time before I was out in the sets competing for waves with the rest of the "real" surfers. As BigTodd can attest, I'm still a kook.

Adventure riding, dirtbike riding, whatever you choose to call it, is not much different. You should really start slow and not try to bite off more than you can chew. A common saying around here is "ride your own ride" or "ride within your comfort zone." Don't ever feel you need to keep up with others. Go at what you feel safe with. In surfing they also say "if you don't surf, don't start," but that's not the case with riding offroad.

I recall starting riding last year and experiencing dirt for the first time on a big bike. I had ridden mini-bikes as a kid and a dirt bike here and there, but nothing like what most of us around here are into. When I did first attempt dirt it was Trabuco Creek Rd because Maple Springs was still closed. I went up the trail to the end and back without falling, but barely. My heart was pounding out my chest and I was pretty damned scared. Then I went to Death Valley in April '11 and FREAKED out on the West Side Rd and gave it up for the pavement. :lol3The West Side Rd in Death Valley is actually very easy dirt, but for a n00b just starting, it seems scary.

So where do you find good easy dirt around here in which to practice? :ear

Here are a few places but please chime in with other places you know are n00b-friendly easy dirt:

Carrizo Plain National Monument (~45 miles of easy dirt on Soda Lake Rd or Elkhorn)

Randsburg-Mojave Rd from Cal City to Johannesburg (~23 mile straight dirt highway)

West Side Rd. in Death Valley. No, really, you should try it. Remember, speed is your friend in the looser stuff.

Pretty much most of Southern Utah and North rim of Grand Canyon (go to FMAR at Zion Ponderosa next week).
  14. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    Holy fuck-crap-fuck-shit .... decided to mount my new Heidenau K60 tires tonight and holy fuck-crap-fuck-shit are those tires a mother fucker to mount. Couple times had me thinking they had to be the wrong fuck-crap-fuck-shit size.

Did I emphasize the holy fuck-crap-fuck-shit part. 4 bloody nuckles, god dam mother fucking wavy rotors.

As much as I dislike the milage on the TKC 80's at least they pop on and off by sneezing on them

holy fuck-crap-fuck-shit, I need some JD with some beer chasers

:kboom
  15. KaptSlo

KaptSlo In Idaho, never admit you moved from California. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bet you'll really trench the singletrack with those babies...:eek1
  16. macadamia

macadamia XK Red 27 Technique

Oddometer:
    I had trouble getting a K-60 off my rear rim. I thought it was my n00bness and lack of practice changing tires. The set I have on my rims now were put on by the local motorcycle store. I need a new rear tire, so I'll let them replace it for me... Thanks for the colorful story!
  17. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The rear Kenda Big Block is a tough one too. At least the sidewall is strong enough that you can ride it completely flat for 20 or so miles on the freeway if you have to.
  18. nomad5326

nomad5326 Xventurous

Oddometer:
    Gotta heat them up! Leave out for the day to soften if time from what I hear. Or...eat some spinach! TKC's are way easier.
  19. MTFYR

MTFYR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    BigTodd, are K60 hard to mount, wasn't sure???

Let us know what you think, trying to decide on next set.
  20. Motomochila

Motomochila Moto Scientist and time traveler

Oddometer:
    Heidenau; one of the two tires you absolutely should have your local shop mount. Michelin's are the other. But if you really hafta do it on your own, next time try a bottle of Booker's instead.
    Two shots and you become invincible. [​IMG]
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.