Beyond Starbucks

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by fudgypup, Dec 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johngil

johngil Reseda, CA

Oddometer:
    Just put the K-60 on the Husky for next weekend's ride. It is admittedly a bit stiff, but I still managed it with my two small MSR irons I carry in my tool pack.

I have yet to find a better long distance 50/50 tire.
  2. macadamia

macadamia XK Red 27 Technique

Oddometer:
    I have approx. 5000 miles on my set of K-60 Scouts. The rear is just about shot. These tires are the ones I rode from San Clemente to Chicago and back (4570 miles), including a Saddle Sore 1000 during the ride. I was on a fully gear loaded BMW G650X Challenge with my fat ass too.

I'll keep buying these for commuting and use D606s for the gnarly stuff...
  3. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    Doing a 3 day tour this upcoming weekend, will post up a report.
  4. nomad5326

nomad5326 Xventurous

Oddometer:
    Mac, compared to TKC's? Whatcha think? Im on a Dakar, little heavier than your challenge but not much w/your tank and panniers.
  5. macadamia

Oddometer:
    Since I've owned the bike, I've only used D606s, K-60 Scouts, and a Mefo Stone Master rear... I cannot say how they compare, since I've never used the TKCs. What size rims are on your Dakar? The X Ch has an 18" rear and a 21" front.
  6. macadamia

Oddometer:
    A few of us showed up to Pizza Port tonight...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:

:clap:clap

Sorry I couldn't make it. Intended to, but spent 8 hours on a 3 hour timing best replacement job on my kid's camry. :cry Spent three hours trying to get the crankshaft pully bolt loose. What a f'ing bitch. 150psi compressor and a half-drive impact gun - no go. Finally, as a last resort, web search showed, "I've seen guys put a breaker bar on it and crank the starter and it pops loose." That did it. Whew. And I was covered with oil, dirt, and grease from top to bottom. Car runs like a champ now. :1drink

I'm up for the next one. So did we make a plan????
  8. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    I wanted to get down there as well and had my own car issues. Spent most of the afternoon at the Hot Rod shop getting the Chevelle dialed in, wrapped it up a little after 5. My little dirt bike budget was well spent. The Chevelle which was already pretty strong is now a FUCKING MONSTER. Went sideways shifting into second at 6600 rpm on the drive home. :eek1
  9. Geoffster

Geoffster Fool - Born This Way

Oddometer:
    I hope this was on a fireroad, not single-track.

("But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother.")
  10. Off Limits

Off Limits Banned

Oddometer:
    4-speed?
  11. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    At the moment I have a TH400 auto but also have a Muncie rock crusher sitting in the garage if I ever want to go that direction.
  12. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    Wow!

Just learned that the founder of this thread has been banned :huh. Based on all the posts back and forth, I'm sure there are several inmates that feel vindicated however I would guess there are 10 times as many now scratching their heads. As the saying goes, there are 3 sides to every story and who knows if the 3rd side of this one will ever surface.

Hopefully the spirit of this thread can stay on track and continue building within the ADV community. SoCal is a tight, congested, uptight place but at the end of the day everyone can pretty much do their own thing. Lots of folks participating and or following this thread just want to do that. If it happens to be riding bigger adventure tour bikes instead of smaller dirt bikes, so be it. As long as the roads and trails stay public lands, we will all be within our rights to share and use them.

Ride safe and see you out there, where ever that might be.
  13. notmybikemodelname

notmybikemodelname KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer:
    Todd, I've said it at least a dozen times, and I'll say it again. People get banned because too many people get sick of their shit. There's no politics here as far as I can tell. Other than the people who frequent this thread, I've never met a person who doesn't think Fudgy is an arrogant, disrespectful, self absorbed prick. I ride with a lot of people, all very good people and excellent riders, and although I've found many who are indifferent to Fudgy, I've never ridden with a single one who would outright say they liked him.

My point is that I think your numbers are backwards. It is actually several that may like him, all on this thread, and ten times as many that are glad or could care less and won't miss him.

I can tell you this, the last time he was banned, it was much quieter and everyone got along much better in all the West Threads. :freaky. So instead of focusing on the negative and therefore beating his drum for him in his absence, let's just all move on.

Honestly, in the end, I believe he was banned because instead of trying to fit in, he instead tried to make ADV bend to what he wanted it to be and tried to define it. This is for the mods to do, and they have spoken. Besides according to Fudgy in one of his posts he claimed he had over 160 FFs signed up over at his sad attempt at a riding site. Most assuredly, this advertising of his own thing, thereby putting down ADV also contributed to his departure. Loyalty in the face of adversity is to be admired, and when it doesn't exist, should be admonished.:deal
  14. RAZR

RAZR u may run the risks my friend but I do the cutting

Oddometer:

he made his bed....
  15. NoVa Rider

NoVa Rider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm on the wrong coast and all, but I liked reading the 'pup's posts, as they captured his riding evolution. Sorry to see him banned. :cry
  16. Off Limits

Off Limits Banned

Oddometer:
    I don't think he was banned for the riding posts, but for trying to dictate what we post. Now we can go ride and drink beers wherever we want without harassment. Freedom and liberty always prevails.
  17. Buster714

Buster714 I'll ride anything

Oddometer:
  18. NoVa Rider

NoVa Rider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have that those t-shirts. . ..

Example from last year's five-day ride on a thumper:

[​IMG]
  19. notmybikemodelname

notmybikemodelname KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer:
    Absolutely no one had a problem with his riding posts. It was his drivelous spewing of his insight, or lack thereof, his desire to control and shove his viewpoints down everyone's throats until we hurled, and his continuous baiting Disguised as something else. Most of all his inability to laugh at himself and what a kook he is. He would've gained a lot more respect from the long time riders and ADV members if he would've just shown some to begin with.

Now that he's gone I think the wounds and injuries he created in this forum and all he posted in can start to heal again. And that's what should happen.
  20. pinocono

pinocono Fucking Pirate

Oddometer:
    Someone's laughing, my Lord, kum bay ya;
    Someone's laughing, my Lord, kum bay ya;
    Someone's laughing, my Lord, kum bay ya,
    O Lord, kum bay ya.

Someone's crying, my Lord, kum bay ya;
    Someone's crying, my Lord, kum bay ya;
    Someone's crying, my Lord, kum bay ya,
    O Lord, kum bay ya.
Thread Status: