Bicycle thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Zodiac, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Perfect 36 mile day out on roadbike,only 80 miles this week with just some short climb rides and days off to attack the backyard. Temps were not warm,not cool,no wind,perfect. Didnt even sweat hardly.

Felt positively Spritely out on bike today,so a break was a good idea. Spun or stomped every short steep climb in the 42/28 or 42/25 just went right up for someone of my advanced age.
    I either spun in between climbs or stood up and nailed it just for laughs,with the big flat pedals stand up climbing with the whole arch of foot supported is really good,force of leg goes right to pedal not through flex of ankle and foot. Once your used to it,it really works.

7 months ago at the beginning of this re-training of the body to the bike I was struggling up the steeps in the 26/28 and lucky to get up and back,quite a difference and Way more fun now.

I like the 42 middle chain ring,use it all the time. Switched the 26 inner chain ring back to the 30 which also works great for the Really Steep stuff.

Flailed around on the mt bike some during the week,couple night rides,some trail searching. Desmo the DSCF3472.JPG DSCF3471.JPG DSCF3468.JPG DSCF3461.JPG Cat really likes being close when Im working on bikes,shiny objects/chainring bolts are impossible to resist.
    zouch, Askel, TeneRay and 5 others like this.
  2. Omi

Omi Out of step

Oddometer:
    I finally had a chance to toss together this old Rockhopper. Just need a rear brake cable and to fine tune the gearing. Should be a fun little neighborhood bike.
    fullsizeoutput_462.jpeg
  3. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    I'd rather live in that than a cookie cutter house in a subdivision. :nod

Got a ride in last nite. :ricky About an hour with a few efforts tossed in. :clap Today? Traffic, traffic, and traffic meant no ride or run for me :cry

M
    M
    Foot dragger likes this.
  4. Ridge

Ridge Faster than farm equipment... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks very... serial-killer ish...

Edit... damnit; Schlug beat me to it.

Did ride today, fitting in a ride between the nephew’s soccer games. I did receive a stern reprimand and talking to by the National Park Ranger for riding on a loop that was technically closed due to some destruction of property or defacement or something... whatever: I didn’t see any bodies; just turtles and deer.

Then there was the “closed” road... if you’re anyone else. Barriers are just to deter the unwilling; right?

F03E204F-C813-4551-ABEC-7BEAC9A0FB5C.jpeg 2F311563-D58C-422C-A97D-FF981A7D6815.jpeg D4EB9855-D4AB-4A4B-8092-BFF175F7792A.jpeg 74A60EDF-5F9A-45D0-B162-4F61B581F702.jpeg 2C3B8E35-073D-44E4-90A8-C9C02A6DE43E.jpeg
    Askel, TeneRay, fullmonte and 3 others like this.
  5. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Cross race in Madison today. Are you sure DFL is better than DNS? Because it was that kind of a day again today. Rolled another tire! I'm thinking I don't know how to glue tires any more. So you other cross guys who run tubulars (which is what, maybe one other guy here?) are you glueing, taping or both?

Hopefully the hare scramble tomorrow goes better. Probably get a Tubliss flat and roll another tire.
    Schlug likes this.
  6. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    4x8 is seriously old school. They were making that in the 80s. Didn't want it then either

1x is the new 3x till they figure out that it isn't and all those 1x systems are now hopelessly out of date and you need to upgrade again.

M
  7. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    If you're in Snottsdale, make sure you visit VFR700 at the Bespoke Inn.

He hasn't posted in a while, but he's one of us

M
    Mr Head and CA_Strom like this.
  8. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    Gluing. No taping here. I really dislike that stuff. :nod I'm probably the only guy here still racing CX on tubulars.

I've had a grand total of 2 tires roll. 1 was ridden by a guy that rides like Mongo and the other by me as I hit a pedal and skipped my rear end sideways. I was thinking that tire didn't glue up right to start with, so I wasn't surprised it rolled.

Mtn biking tomorrow. Charm City is in a bowl. You climb out of the bowl 5-6x/lap and I'm allergic to hills.

M
    Mr Head and Mambo Dave like this.
  9. CA_Strom

CA_Strom Cunning Linguist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Added a few new tools to the chest today to address the light click on my Wheels Mfg BB. Finally realized my carbon bikes deserve a better torque wrench than the Harbor Fright clicker I’ve had for years. New Park TW-6 inbound Monday, thanks Prime. Also picked up the very nicely made Wheels Mfg 48.5/44mm 16 tooth BB socket. Grinding up that 12% grade today was more than a little annoying with a light “click” on each revolution. I’m hoping a tear down and re-torque fixes it all up.

8E7564CE-540F-4F25-868C-C0627D74C201.jpeg 416EB573-76DD-4E28-A85F-166C911E703B.jpeg
    Mr Head and Mambo Dave like this.
  10. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    If a front tubular rolls off the rim at 44mph while leaned way the hell over making time on a rough corner,is cremation mandatory or do they paste some kind of layer on your whole body and face for open casket?
    Asking for a friend.
    fullmonte, Mr Head and Mambo Dave like this.
  11. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave I cannot abide.

Oddometer:
    HF torque wrenches put it in the proper ballpark. :D But that socket is sweet.

On my crawling-back last few miles I kept hearing a click, or clack, today. I played with a bunch of things up front thinking it was something loose. Tested this and that. Finally stopped to figure out what detrimental thing had occurred to my bike. Turned out to just be the rear LED light clacking off of the new(er) carbon fiber seatpost - it got angled up, somehow, and was bouncing off of it.
    Mr Head, Bappo and Foot dragger like this.
  12. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Orange seal sealant is good in Tubliss. Maybe 8oz.
  13. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave I cannot abide.

Oddometer:
    @Bappo - plan seems to be to test out the new brakes, new chain up on the levee Sunday morning. Not sure if your schedule has changed. Keep me updated.
  14. jjjjjjay

jjjjjjay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi, I have a hybrid and a road bike. I rented a mountain bike in Asheville on our trip this summer and had fun, so would like try some more. Any recommendations for a bike to get started?

Hoping to do $500-$600 range or somewhere near that, if there's one that wouldn't hold me back. Most of the ads I see are either way under or way over that range for some reason...
  15. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Check the rear mech hanger.
  16. nuggets

nuggets It's all my fault...

Oddometer:
    4x8, no thanks.

I'm holding out for 12x1. 12 gears out front and one on the back. Reduces unsprung weight don'tcha know, when that and the new 29.7365 wheels come out, it'll be time for a new bike.
    Schlug, fz6kd7, Ridge and 2 others like this.
  17. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I hate Halloween.
    Roller coasters are for people who have never ridden a motorcycle on a race track in anger. #TheRedMist
    And they are built by the low bidder.

Today was the first day I’ve felt almost good. Still coughing now and again. Maybe a week.
    #StirCrazy
  18. chasbo

chasbo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I ran one of those Mt. Tamer quad setups for a season in 87 or 88. Its was utter crap.
  19. Bappo

Bappo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Down your way on Monday, eye exam at 2. Good for a ride most any day next week. Back up in chobee for weekend.

Redoing orange seal on MTB tires and will convert the CX to tubeless tomorrow maybe.
    Mambo Dave likes this.
  20. barnyard

barnyard Verbal tactician Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    When I did enduros, I had a variety of safety glasses in various tints. Home Depot and the local hardware store both had varieties that worked. My daughter and I both liked them better than wearing goggles.
    DeepSea and Mambo Dave like this.