Bicycle thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Zodiac, Jul 10, 2006.

1. expatbrit

expatbrit Still pretty much a n00b.

Oddometer:
    Well. Sorted the MTB out and rode it over to and around the foothills. Yay riding. That was yesterday— now I am apparently joining the crowd of sick folk and struggling to get off the couch.

Boo sick.
    mf13368, Ridge, Mr Head and 1 other person like this.
  2. CA_Strom

CA_Strom Cunning Linguist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Checked. Defiantly coming from BB shell.
    Mambo Dave likes this.
  3. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    They leave you all muddy and stand you up like weekend at Bernie’s and make your carcass pass out handups.
    Ridge, Mr Head, chasbo and 3 others like this.
  4. Schlug

Schlug JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer:
    put something on and stay in that position.
    I have glued hundreds of tubs as a noob mechanic. Most of them were pulled from and went back into in a stockroom and I cannot speak intelligently about my success rate. However, for those tubs about which I can speak, no failures that didn't involve a crash. A crash can result in tremendous, almost pure lateral loading on a tire. A glued on tire was never intended to handle that sort of load. And most cases, the rolled tire wasn't the worst part of the fall, although, admittedly, it was at times when the bike and the ride were good to go and the tire was not.

Old school tires would accept that sort of force and still keep rolling. I don't know if the newer 20 or 18 or 15 spoke wheel would take it.

By the bye, if you're running rim brakes, a carbon clincher is a terrible idea. A carbon tubi is a much better idea.
    Mr Head and fz6kd7 like this.
  5. Schlug

Oddometer:
    Yesterday I absolutely stole 20 miles. Between homecoming and work and family and motorcycles, I really thought it would be impossible to get out before darkness set in.

In moto news, my XR400 does not live here anymore. He went to a farm with lots of room to run and be free with people who will love him.

Seriously, one of the fellows I ran into at work bought his son a little motorbike. They have a fair bit of land and the boy desperately wanted the dad to ride with him. Dad knew I had a few bikes and asked me about a dirt bike. I didn't want to sell the 1998 XR. I still didn't want to sell it the fourth time he asked, but this time the kid was with him--- which was dirty pool. How was I supposed to say no? So he came round and collected it. He didn't give me near what I would have asked, but he he only had so much on hand and was willing to pay the rest in installments. He doesn't make much so we called it good cash on hand and I told him I'd give him a month or so to return it if blew up on him or didn't work out. I stuffed the cash in my tool box. Hope he has fun. Now there's an empty spot in the garage and an empty spot in my heart. Lots and lots of miles and hours on that bike. Lots of memories.

I snuck away to kit up and slide out of the garage before anyone could stop me, but it was late, in the 50s and dropping.

[​IMG]

Cannot believe the leaves are still this green. It is mid October. Crazy.

[​IMG]

Cold enough to wear long, thin gloves and a long sleeve retro 7-Eleven fleece jersey.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was out a little late. The sun was about to fall and I was about 8 miles from home at this point. I rode the last mile and half in the dark.

[​IMG]

I took these two photos moments apart-- just when the Garmin kicked into night mode.

[​IMG]

It was day for knickers, too. Not cold enough for full tights or shoe covers-- yet.

I did have to stop and change caps. From the standard cap to a winter cap with ear flaps. My right ear started to ache from the cold.

[​IMG]

No riding today, even though it is warmer. Hockey tonight.

Speaking of eyewear-- rides like emphasize the usefullness of a pair of photochromatic lenses. I really, really need shades at that start with the sun in my eyes, but I really, really needed no tint on the way back. I did not have the right lenses and ended up riding back with my glasses in my back pocket and my eyes streaming water in the 48 degree wind.
    SilkMoneyLove, Ridge, Mr Head and 2 others like this.
  6. TeneRay

TeneRay Bitch, I'm fabulous

Oddometer:
    Did some Katy Trail prerunning for a trip I have planned in a couple weeks. Went to Hermann, MO for the Oktoberfest, ate some brats, and hopped on over the river to ride a few miles.

In a couple weeks I'm going to go up to Jeff City after work on friday, hop on an Amtrak to STL, spend the night and head back on the Katy to Jeff City. Trying to spread it over a couple days. Apparently people can do this ride in a day huffing it. Plan is to hopefully be in the peak of leaf colors.

20191013_092555.jpg
    Ridge, Mr Head, chasbo and 2 others like this.
  7. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave I cannot abide.

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Justin Bieber falling off a unicycle
    theMISSIONARY and Foot dragger like this.
  8. Mambo Dave

Oddometer:
    Dude.... that car(!).
    chippertheripper and TeneRay like this.
  9. Mambo Dave

Oddometer:
    Good on ya for selling the bike. Hopefully he's a calm rider to have fun with his son, as opposed to hooning it, breaking it or himself, then not riding with his son.

Who took the impostor-Schlug-shots? They're upside down.

Eyewear - when it gets to a season like this, this is where / when the cheapie sunglasses come into play: start the ride with one type, and the other in the jersey, then switch during the ride. Moderate chance of one or the other set either getting scratched, broken, or dumped out of the jersey mide-ride, but that's why they're cheap.
  10. Mambo Dave

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Initial test of my new Deore-level V-brakes up front. Bonus: automotive brake cleaner, a paper towel, and a little rubbing will take the bright-white Deore and Shimano logos right off without pulling the black paint off. I left a little there, sort of a faded logo, just for fun.

[​IMG]
    Foot dragger likes this.
  11. ADK

ADK .........................

Oddometer:
    I noticed it,too. Haven't seen one like that (here in the rust belt) in a looooong time.
    Mambo Dave likes this.
  12. Askel

Askel Perma-n00b

Oddometer:
    I've had some crazy good times on the Katy trail in the vicinity of Columbia. A friend of ours is responsible for this: https://www.pedalersjamboree.com/

We haven't made it for a couple of years, but our team is usually well represented.
    Mambo Dave likes this.
  13. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Just for kicks hunt on craigslist,so many bikes get bought and hardly ridden. You might get way more bike for your 5 or 6 hundred dollars. In general lighter is more better,better suspension comes on higher dollar bikes.
    And make sure the fit is right. Test rides at a dealer might point you in the right direction.

End of year deals will be happening at bike shops,2 of the bikes Ive got now were each marked down 500 bucks as they sat on the floor. Which never hurts.
  14. Askel

Askel Perma-n00b

Oddometer:
    Just so you, know- this thread is the worst for bike advice. You just asked a bunch of heroin addicts what to take for a headache. :lol3

$500-$600 will get you into a new basic 29er from any of the major brands. A Trek, for example: https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/...cross-country-mountain-bikes/marlin/marlin-5/

Any local friends into mountain biking? My local used mountain bike market is a minefield of bum deals. Most of the good deals get snapped up before they ever make it to craigslist or some such. Somebody local to help you navigate that can pay dividends.

If you can bump your budget up to $1200-$1500, that'll get you into really nice hardtail territory. You can spend more, but the returns start diminishing quite a bit beyond that.

Also:
    theMISSIONARY, Ridge, Mr Head and 2 others like this.
  15. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    The Surly touring/general purpose thrasher bike Im most likely going to get today has V brakes being pulled by road bike brake levers,which seems to work fine surprisingly. Also has 36 spoke XT hubbed really strong wheels on it,which look new still,no brake wear on braking surface. Im not sure what all I will do with it but at least one friend likes bicycle camping so something new will get tried.

Oooopf. I went to an annual get together of the class of 75 at a friend's house last night,more fun then a class reunion for sure,just a pack of buffoons getting together to bullshit/eat/drink.
    Too much tequila,I wobbled home at midnight on the Kona 1 speed. These things happen.
    Mr Head and Mambo Dave like this.
  16. Omi

Omi Out of step

Oddometer:
    I would look at the Giant Talon 29 line. They have a few different builds in your price range. Your local dealer is probably offering end of season deals.
    Mambo Dave and jjjjjjay like this.
  17. Schlug

Oddometer:
    What size do you ride?

I have may have something. PM me. Since I'm in the cleaning house mood.
    Mr Head, Mambo Dave and jjjjjjay like this.
  18. Schlug

Oddometer:
    How do we feel about turning a bike with disc brakes upside down for a lengthy period of time?

How long is this Katy Trail? looks like a great time.
    TeneRay likes this.
  19. TeneRay

TeneRay Bitch, I'm fabulous

Oddometer:
    It was actually a PA car all its life. Only survived because it had the rust preventative treatment. Doing my best to preserve it but rust spots pop up here and there. One spot ate through on the back window so I have to keep it covered. I only drive it when the weather is nice. Still drives great. 190k and only burns a little oil on startup. Likely the valve guide seals since its only burning on cyl 2 and 4.

Noice. Wish I saw that a couple years ago. Saw they had Here Comes the Mummies. Bet that was hell of a show!

Didn't even think of that. Sat like that for 3 or so hours on moderate roads and didn't notice a difference. I've stored the bike like that inside for days and didn't notice anything.

I think the KT is 240 miles then there's the Rock Island connector that goes to KC. So you can ride from KC to STL.
    Ridge and Schlug like this.
  20. jjjjjjay

jjjjjjay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, that's def what I need! Another two wheel addiction.

1st part of video sums up my experience so far pretty nicely. :D
    TeneRay, Ridge, Foot dragger and 3 others like this.