Bicycle thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Zodiac, Jul 10, 2006.

1. jjjjjjay

jjjjjjay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    XL, thanks. PM sent just in case
  2. CA_Strom

CA_Strom Cunning Linguist Supporter

Oddometer:
    I got out for 25 miles of easy gravel on a gorgeous morning today. I ran across this beast down by the jungle along the Santa Ana river. It seems they might finally be clearing a path to connect this portion of the trail to the main section in Orange County that heads all the way to Huntington Beach.

I guess if one had some property, they could do some serious trail clearing with this monster. Check the size of that tire with my bike for scale.

6CD7119B-857C-4E32-8A76-7555D60C410A.jpeg
    fullmonte, TeneRay, Ridge and 2 others like this.
  3. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave I cannot abide.

Oddometer:
    My recommendation would be Facebook Marketplace for a higher-quality used one.

But I just went through this, and am still going through this, with my step-brother who wants a bike. He has absolutely no clue as to what is considered 'higher' vs. 'lower' quality, so he keeps sending me ads to look at that are either ancient collectible bikes (very nice 1990's Gary Fisher steel bikes), or garbage modern bikes that people are asking far too much for.

$500 to $600 would probably get you an advertised $700 to $950 used bike, but you really need to know what you're looking at and for.
    Foot dragger likes this.
  4. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I stopped in Iowa real quick today.
    It’s just like I remember it.
    0ACE701A-C912-4351-993A-9F140AF3CB62.jpeg
    fullmonte, Maritimer, TeneRay and 3 others like this.
  5. ADK

ADK .........................

Oddometer:
    Hmmmm... maybe bicycles should be a sub-forum of fluff. :hmmmmm
    TeneRay and CA_Strom like this.
  6. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    2:40ish on the road riding to Warrenton and back to fetch spokes for another DT Swiss 411 to DT Swiss 240S CLD hub wheelset.

Hoss Active Sports Group is awesome. You can get Sapim spokes in onesies so you don't have to order boxes of spokes and have a crapton of leftovers that you may or may not ever use again.

M
    fullmonte and Mambo Dave like this.
  7. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m still waking up coughing after about four hours at night.
    I think I’ll start back walking tomorrow. Weather is cooler, but still perfect. Bicycles are becoming buried with debris down in the shed. The pile of crap is collecting and piled higher, longer and widening.
    I’ll have assert my displeasure to the pileupers of the pile or it will pile more. I noticed some of another pile had rearranged itself to the floor under the motorcycle.
    I hope that is not a crashing falling thing.

Anyway, the usual crappy chest thing.
    I’m also inducing the new/old diet.
    Real simple, don’t eat or drink garbage.
    But, I like garbage! Tough you fat old fart. And do some crunches and a few pushups so when gym time comes you can at least not when trying to keep up with your wife.

I’m going to rewatch that MTB video on the television. Yes I’m bored. I’ve read all my magazines.
  8. cjbiker

cjbiker Nobody's Robot

Oddometer:
    Makes my eye twitch to see any bike flipped upside down for any length of time.
  9. cjbiker

cjbiker Nobody's Robot

Oddometer:
    @chippertheripper I swung by the pump track again today.

[​IMG]

I did a few laps on my fat bike:

[​IMG]

No, not all 9.42 miles were on the pump track. I was getting what I think is pretty good rhythm going on the right side in the pic, coming back to where the photo was taken. Heading out on the left side, I couldn't get any speed without casing the third roller. Hard to see, but there's a tabletop before the bowl at the far end. I could barely get enough speed to roll that. All the kids were airing it out. Not sure what I'm missing there.
  10. Undercover Poe

Undercover Poe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My trick star IMG_0501.JPG
  11. Ridge

Ridge Faster than farm equipment... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nephews soccer tourney ended earlier than planned; they got 2nd. So, we all headed to downtown Colonial Williamsburg, saw much sites, gnoshed on fine vittles, and the adults had many beers.

We all said our farewells as they headed back to the NC coast and I scoped out a ride target.

Target acquired... the Virginia Capital Trail is a 50 mile paved greenway from Williamsburg at the Jamestown settlement to Richmond. It follows a historic trading route that parallels the James River (no relation). I could fit in 40 before the rain got so bad I had to pull the plug at the Four Mile Creek trailhead.

I don’t know what algorithm the beer counter uses but I think I earned at least a 12 pack! :bluduh
    128341D4-00ED-426B-8510-FBB6DBA42A7B.jpeg

088E17A8-5F77-4B97-8956-40CA42C1F8DA.jpeg B24E97FF-C007-4B1E-953B-F14E79333C73.jpeg DBE9AC9B-3C06-4779-AA7B-FEF88A770C40.jpeg 0312D0C1-76D9-48F6-A59A-0B0D701EBF08.jpeg 8F423C7A-228A-4153-852B-7830BBB127B5.jpeg B9C334C2-5FCD-4984-8460-3B5B5850D521.jpeg

They built this monstrosity for the World Road Championships.
    68D98737-DE05-4D8D-8459-C015CCED3054.jpeg
  12. Omi

Omi Out of step

Oddometer:
  13. TeneRay

TeneRay Bitch, I'm fabulous

Oddometer:
    I just finished servicing the car and was about to put the ramps away when I had an epiphany. Turns out car ramps make decent mini kickers, lol!

20191013_172807_1.gif
    Mr Head, fullmonte, Ridge and 3 others like this.
  14. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave I cannot abide.

Oddometer:
    I'm jealous.

Ever since getting back into cycling here in Florida, I've been looking for one of those paved, meandering and long paths. They just don't seem to exist in south Florida, let alone most of Florida from what I've seen.

Now, ten or more years ago I thought "Holy Sheet - we're getting a bike trail to go across Florida!!!" after seeing them build what has to be a multi-million dollar cycling bridge over SIX LANES, plus TWO RAMPS, of I-95.

Look at this fucking thing. LOOK AT IT. This must be the promised-land of cycling paths in Florida!

[​IMG]

No. No it is fucking not. The path length? 4.4 miles. Not 14 miles, not 44 miles ... 4.4 miles.

Who in the right fuckin hell builds a bike path, calls it the TRANS FLORIDA CENTRAL RAILROAD TRAIL, and leaves it at 4.4 miles long for over a decade?
  15. chippertheripper

Oddometer:
    Where again is this? I wanna see how far away it is, and see if I can make it up for a sesh.
  16. cjbiker

cjbiker Nobody's Robot

Oddometer:
    Top secret. You've got mail :deal
  17. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    And you didn't stop to say hi?
  18. cjbiker

cjbiker Nobody's Robot

Oddometer:
    Dang, I've had a set of those forever, and it never occurred to me.
  19. chippertheripper

Oddometer:
    That wasn’t you yelling get off my lawn?!
    Ridge likes this.
  20. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Weekend of fail. No bicycle, HS race today and I was doing good, right up to the point, I was not. Stuck in huge mud bog, 30 minutes of struggle to get out and took the short cut back to the pits. At least I didn't roll my tire.