Bicycle thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Zodiac, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Christine94

Christine94 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know... but call of shame is a real thing.
  2. BeeCeeGS

BeeCeeGS WeaponOfMassDestruction

Oddometer:
    Trying to convert a set of Fulcrum wheel from TA to QR. I sense there's a part or two missing, and the "instructions" don't even match what I'm looking at.
  3. Askel

Askel Perma-n00b

Oddometer:
    I switched to Schwalbe tires on the road, I don’t get flats anymore.

I merely carry a pump, tools, patch kit etc. as a talisman to ward off evil spirits.

Also good for karma regeneration. Nothing like finding some poor roadie on the side of the road cursing and yelling at co2 cartridges or some shitty mini pump and pulling a floor pump out out of the big dummy bags.
    zouch, Ridge and fz6kd7 like this.
  4. edtheslowrider

edtheslowrider Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    We're enjoying an exceptionally warm stretch here after some unseasonably cool weather a week ago.
    Mrs slowrider and I blew off some home projects for a nice 25 miles and 2K ft, right in my wheelhouse.
    Nice ride to have out the garage door.
    Scenery was spectacular, although with the high sun and humidity the light wasn't optimal to bring out the colors.
    Temps in the upper 70's felt amazing.

Along a similar route as last weekend except we added a little elevation going home.

Along our new little two-track and hike-a-bike

200926_Ride_4.JPG

We skipped the popular secondary road through the valley; such a lovely road to drive, shitty road to interact with bicycles.
    I looped us around the other way for more gravel.

200926_Ride_5.JPG

I've always enjoyed the views along this road

200926_Ride_9.JPG

I planted the seed to upgrade her Journeyman, I think that itch is about to get scratched.

200926_Ride_7.JPG

Attached Files:

5. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    That's a banable offense around here
    dogsslober likes this.
  6. cjbiker

cjbiker Nobody's Robot

Oddometer:
    I miss riding in Vermont :cry
  7. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    This guy,Ryan Van Duzer does big ride videos on you tube,cross America etc etc.
    He uses top of line Schwalbe Marathons on any big ride. 3300 miles with 2 bikes with the Marathons,no flats.

He just did the Trans Continental Trail ,looked like a great ride. A Canadian friend rode with him riding a big truck of a traveling bicycle,has box all set up for Mira the dog on the back. Mira is about the size and shape of @Dogslobber 's dogs.
    Mira is a hit everywhere she goes and either runs or rides in the box.
    Askel likes this.
  8. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    I did not. I was off my game. About 35 people total and I was 7th O/A. Now this was a very low key, mainly locals event. Several people who finished ahead of me by less than 30 seconds, I would have normally beat. I was 2 minutes behind the O/A winner. I never expect to O/A I haven't been that fast in a long time and this was short course with most of the times coming at between 20-30 minutes. I typically do best in 1.0-2.0 hr races. But it was fun and for a first time event, at a new trail system they did a good job and it was FREE!!!
    Ridge, Foot dragger, Schlug and 3 others like this.
  9. slugsmasher

slugsmasher Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That just stimulated thought about how much money I have not spent this year for gas/food/lodging/camping due to no racing.
    Ridge and Mr Head like this.
  10. Schlug

Schlug JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer:
    put something on and stay in that position.
    I always wondered who sits through those videos.
    chasbo likes this.
  11. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've only had to do this once. Use the phone. I was on a 100 mile ride, twenty-six from home when the front tube I had pulled the stem. The spare tubes all were the same cheap, garbage Specialized tubes and their stems pulled the same within a few miles each. I had forgotten about the two possible options for bicycle shops within a mile and called for my daughter to come get me.

Those cheap tubes coupled with the big hole for the stem in the OEM Roval rim are what cause the failure. The cheap tubes do not have an extra reenforcement around the base of the stem. My Vitoria latex tubes do, as do the $20+ Specialized up-sale tubes. The $5 tubes are a waste of money.
    Schlug likes this.
  12. Schlug

Schlug JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer:
    put something on and stay in that position.
    Did you carry a patch kit? People want to know.
  13. Mr Head

Oddometer:
    I was pushing Oggy on the swing yesterday morning as he laid his head on his unicorn, closed his eyes and contemplated a mid-morning snooze and I happened to catch a view of my 990 peeking out form under the gathering garage detritus.
    That got me to thinking about mileage, and fuel and tires and such.

Since my last trip a year ago, I've only been to the shops on the moto once to buy oil and once to look at bicycles and maybe groceries. I know I put fuel in once and burned it down to about half. So, less than 300 miles for the year with no future trips anticipated.
    The car went to Arizona and back along with some running around town so maybe 1,500 miles.
    The Auto club will be impressed with our small numbers come the end of the year I'm sure.

I don't remember what fuel costs were running. Since servicing the motorcycle I've put only a few miles on it to check that rear wheel conversion. Still holding fine.

The bicycle of course still records mileage thanks to the Strava gear manager. It should be able to swap to hours or pause tire use.
    Doing that by hand I can see I have 1,750 km of actual movement on the bicycle.
    63 hours sweating, but not moving, compared to 72 hours while moving.
    I think next tire sale, I'll buy a pair of 28mm GP5000. But, they will hang in the garage unused for a while.

On another related note, my white bar tape is spotless. :-)
  14. chasbo

chasbo Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You need to stop posting those Vermont pictures @edtheslowrider , my wife is trying to convince me to move away from my beloved Arizona and then she walks by and sees those pictures. For the record, I do love the east coast fall weather.
    Ridge, cjbiker and Foot dragger like this.
  15. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    So,how do you know about em if you dont watch em?
  16. Mr Head

Oddometer:
    I want to visit the North East someday. But, I do not want to live there. One word: snow. :vardy

Those fall colors though. Just wow.

One of the best things about being a motorcycle mechanic in Colorado was Monday rides in the Fall.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. cjbiker

cjbiker Nobody's Robot

Oddometer:
    Anyone can make it through a New England winter. It's when the snow is melting in March and you realize you've got a couple more months of mud season before you can enjoy the outdoors again that the SAD really kicks in.
  18. Mr Head

Oddometer:
    When we moved from Colorado, I had been looking for jobs elsewhere since the current job at that time was going away. My wife and I decided to only look at jobs in areas where it did not snow.

I gave the snow blower away. I also gave the lawn mower away once we knew we would not have to deal with that.

I left my skis in Colorado. I ended up giving my winter coats away after a few years in California. We carried them back to Colorado for Christmas visits because it was always a blizzard. One year the washer fluid in my windshield wiper res froze when it was -20F for too long a time. That was $400 to fix. Audi parts and labor are not cheap.
    Oh, it split the supply line to the windshield too. I think that was the last time I skied as well.

I helped shovel a lot of snow that trip at various relatives and friends homes. I don't miss snow or cold or ice. I think the last time I was snowed on was May 2013 in Johnstown PA, work travel. It was over 100F when I left Phoenix.
    Jeathrow Bowdean likes this.
  19. Ridge

Ridge Faster than farm equipment. Supporter

Oddometer:
    2nd in today’s race... it was a legit 2nd as well since the cheater on a geared bike decided to finally give up on SS and entered his aged category in expert. We did not miss him...

My buddy that won was behind me most of the first lap but was running a bigger gear ratio than me and was catching me on all the flats (there was a lot of that on this course). While I thought I’d hemmed him up in lap traffic of the 50+ guys I’d passed; I caught sight of his jersey in my periphery and he was gaining. I just could not keep that gap closed on those long winding sections next to the river. Where he finally got a clean pass on me was at the river crossing. I opted for the direct but steeper crossing and he went down-Creek about 30 meters to a shallower exit. He got past and kept the lead for the remaining lap. I finished within a minute and nobody else was behind us for another 10 minutes.

4322D6F9-4893-4CFD-B6D6-93EEA522953D.jpeg
  20. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are you wearing a raspberry beret? The kind you find in a secondhand store? The kind that if it was warm, you wouldn’t wear much more?
    mf13368, Askel, CA_Strom and 5 others like this.