Bicycle thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Zodiac, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    I thought it was John Denver in the beret. "Colorado rocky mountain high,etc"..My bad.
  2. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nope. Ratty leather greek fishing cap thing, found cheap at some outdoor market someplace when I didn't have a hat along. I know not where it is today. I've also lost two English auto caps, one with a vintage Norton pin at the front along with a few cowboy hats, straw and felt. Oh, and plenty of cycling caps.
    Jeathrow Bowdean likes this.
  3. dogsslober

dogsslober No neck tie, Ti neck

Oddometer:
    Rode Pacifica today with grandpa Mark, fun morning !
    120107174_10218082322905603_2158970822453497401_o.jpg
  4. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    quick toodle around the block this afternoon cause my head was pounding all day

Stopped at a neighbor's house with a 3rd gen Dodge like mine and may have sold my 20" wheels and tires (again)

We'll see

M
    Mr Head likes this.
  5. Askel

Askel Perma-n00b

Oddometer:
    So help me google something here-

Looking for a new front fork for the Karate Monkey. I'd like to send the suspension fork out for rebuilding this winter and use a rigid fork for some singletrack commuting.

Need 100mm suspension corrected, 100x15 axle (edit:110x15), tapered steerer, disc, and ideally a bunch of nubs and eyelets for racks/fenders/everything cages/etc.

Ideally steel, because I'm cheap, but not really opposed to carbon. Salsa and Surly come close, but don't really have something that checks every box.

Also, anybody got a favorite Fox rebuild service?
  6. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Jeathrow Bowdean and Askel like this.
  7. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    I wanted one of those RS's in the worst way.
    Foot dragger and Mr Head like this.
  8. cjbiker

cjbiker Nobody's Robot

Oddometer:
    100x15 is kind of obsolete in the MTB world, no? And not in the good way like 100m QR. Can you get a 15mm TA to QR adapter and use a QR Monkey or Krampus fork?
  9. Askel

Askel Perma-n00b

Oddometer:
    Er... 110x15. You know, what the kids like. :D
  10. cjbiker

cjbiker Nobody's Robot

Oddometer:
    Even better. Slap a new Krampus fork on it.
  11. Mr Head

Oddometer:
    Got my hour in on the trainer. Thanks to @joebar for a great route. Yikes those sharp little climbs are tough. Good thing I got the granny or I'd have had to dismount and push. :imaposer

I'll know a little later if I can end the week a days worth of calories below my allowance. Half-hearted attempt at watching the men's UCI worlds road race.
    My app tells me I should hit my goal late February. I'm fine with that, though I suspect closer to Spring is more likely. But, who knows? Early days.

@2whlrcr I searched for that RS for a couple of years. It began life as a Phoenix Gold RT in Iowa. The dealer and/or first owner changed the tank and upper plastics and tail to the European red with gold pinstripes. I saw it and simply could not resist. The motor was easily one of the three best I've ever ridden of that model and size. I sold it when we had our first daughter thinking I should not be riding motorcycles, (BMW motorcycle mechanic that doesn't ride motorcycles? :eek7 Yeah, guess how long that lasted? :imaposer).

Since I worked at a shop, I had no end of bikes I had to ride, between used bikes taken on tree we needed to evaluate and tune up for resale and new demo bikes I had to put 600 miles on, I had little time to ride my own. The guy who bought it sold it within a year to a moron who destroyed it. Broke every panel on it and since he parked it outside, the paint was faded to near silver and he managed to dent the tank on all sides, not do any maintenance, run it low on old and blow the motor and lunch the transmission. It got sold at auction to yet another guy, who brought it into our shop for a repair estimate. The other mechanic I worked with wanted me to stay inside and not see it.
    Man it was in terrible shape. The new owner didn't like the estimate and went away. I lost track of it. But, the second bike I sold to a moron. The Norton was the first.
    2whlrcr likes this.
  12. Askel

Askel Perma-n00b

Oddometer:
    It’s a contender, but straight steerer means I need to replace some or possibly all of my headset.

Edit: it’s pretty easy to swap to QR for me, but most of those don’t have tapered steerers. If I’m just going to make something work no matter what, I have an old kona p2 QR fork with straight steerer on the shelf....
  13. cjbiker

cjbiker Nobody's Robot

Oddometer:
    If you're using a Cane Creek headset, you only need the correct crown race in order to use a straight steerer with a headset that is meant for a tapered steerer.
    chippertheripper and Askel like this.
  14. zouch

zouch part-time wanderer

Oddometer:
    @Dogslobber good job on finding what was probably the coolest spot in the SF Bay Area today!

i was out for a few hours this afternoon, and it was toasty; mid-upper 90s. :knary
    good thing about weather like this is with the humidity as low as it is here now, my eye protection isn't fogging over because of my mask,...

Mr Head likes this.
  15. joebar

joebar R.I.P. Richard & Fabrizio

Oddometer:
    The ride to Jalama beach is definitely not easy, but it has very rewarding views of the ocean at the end, doesn't it? Was it worth it?
    Jeathrow Bowdean and Mr Head like this.
  16. dogsslober

dogsslober No neck tie, Ti neck

Oddometer:
    Dumb luck, Mark ask me to join him. Started a bit after 8 am, there were section that was like AC. I kept saying out loud this is NICE ! Done by 11:30
    Mr Head likes this.
  17. Mr Head

Oddometer:
    Absolutely worth the ride. I want to do it for real some day. That long 8.1% climb is rewarded with an awesome descent.

Did I notice you passing your wife at about 4.8 km? The bike is a tell.
  18. joebar

joebar R.I.P. Richard & Fabrizio

Oddometer:
    Good to hear you enjoyed it. It is one of my most popular videos on Kinomap. I do want to go back and ride there again too!

Yes, it was my wife and all the other people I passed were also part of our group.

We had another great ride today, Old La Honda Rd, San Gregorio, Tunitas Creek Rd, Kings Mountain Rd. I was nice and cool on the coast, hot everywhere else...

20200927_122845.jpg Screen Shot 2020-09-27 at 7.03.20 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-09-27 at 6.59.56 PM.png
  19. zouch

zouch part-time wanderer

Oddometer:
    one of my fav loops when i lived on the Peninsula.
    i know i've said it before, but Kings Mtn Road is still one of my all-time fav descents. it's that good.

20. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    On a geared bike you have to have somehow mechanically locked so you can't shift right? I would think it would be a slight weight penalty running a geared setup?