1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Bicycle thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Zodiac, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Maritimer

Maritimer Bikeless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can someone check on @Schlug ?
    He’s probably twitching and convulsing in the corner.
  2. Askel

Askel Perma-n00b

Oddometer:
    Sex toy thread is down the hall on the right.
    Shawn595, Schlug, mf13368 and 4 others like this.
  3. Ridge

Ridge Faster than farm equipment. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Even I'm not so bold as to attempt strapping one of those on the bar...

Anticipation.gif
    Schlug, Mr Head, DeepBarney and 2 others like this.
  4. Dogslobber

Dogslobber Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hello Everyone,
    I just wanted to give you a heads up that you keep tagging the wrong Dogslobber. You guys want dogsslober, I just mention this so your conversations get together.

Have a great day!
    Foot dragger, Maritimer and Ridge like this.
  5. CA_Strom

CA_Strom Cunning Linguist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hahahaaa, that was my first reaction as well! If a buddy showed up with that appendage on his bike, I'd quickly hustle down to the "adult" store to get the largest purple appendage I could buy to graft onto that protruding bar!
  6. fullmonte

fullmonte Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer:
    For some reason I can picture you competing in a race with a latex ahem, ribbed cylindrical “aero pleasure device” in place of that leading edge foam grip. :lol3We all know that you’re a happily married man, but you are also the only guy in this group who could pull it off with a straight face and a belly full of booze.:deal I will pony up bail money if you accidentally instigate a stabbing incident out on the race course.:ilmostro Just use the NASCAR defense of “Rubbin’ is racin’.
    mf13368, Bullseye, Mr Head and 5 others like this.
  7. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    The 11 speed on my gravel bike really pointed out that my other bikes are sub standard. 11 speed is not like butter,it IS butter.
    Bullseye and CA_Strom like this.
  8. Askel

Askel Perma-n00b

Oddometer:
    Askel might think twice about it, but 2 Krunk Hustla would definitely be down with that.

76720778_10218200536899331_6977293214097080320_n.jpg
    mf13368, Mr Head, CA_Strom and 2 others like this.
  9. fullmonte

fullmonte Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer:
    The new Egads gravel group from Campy goes up to 13, thus rendering 11 speed to the dust bin of obsolescence. :hideLeaving in a few minutes to ride my 10 speed Roubaix.:augie
  10. dogsslober

dogsslober No neck tie, Ti neck

Oddometer:
    Thats what I was thinking
  11. Ridge

Ridge Faster than farm equipment. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm initially very impressed with the functionality of the Box drivetrain. The indexed gear changes are very crisp with a defined "click" and, even up in the 46T cog; I don't feel nor hear any chain drag. Time will obviously tell as the iterate components bed in and wear, especially when I subject it to some proper singletrack.
    Foot dragger, Bullseye and CA_Strom like this.
  12. dogsslober

dogsslober No neck tie, Ti neck

Oddometer:
    You mean I've been dodging bullets this whole time. Whew !
    Just for the record,me dog's slobber cause I get lots of dog kisses
    IMG_3748.JPG
    Dogslobber, zouch, fullmonte and 5 others like this.
  13. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
  14. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    The 13 speed is all about running a 1X drivetrain I guess?
    In looking at 2021 mt bikes or XC bikes and 1X is mostly what there is.
    12 speed shimano 1X looks good.

For just riding trail 1X would be fine,Im finding new trail networks around here and once on dirt 1X would work great.
    I do enjoy the top speed runs down any big downhill paved or dirt where a 48 on front isnt big enough. Always some trade off.

I ride my 9 speed vintage roadbike,I dont much notice having 2 less gears. 9 speed shifts just fine.11 speed is way slicker.
  15. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bright blue skies with a slight breeze. I'll get a trainer ride in today for sure. Fall is probably the best season in Southern California. Well, when we're not on fire. Almost crisp cool nights in the upper 50's with low 80 degree clear days. Light breezes nearer the beach mean one could wander hills and valleys between and through the subdivisions on wide shaded streets. In times past anyway.

I ended last week nearly a whole days calorie count down on my intake. That along with more hours per week on the trainer should translate into less kinetic energy available to stub my bare-footed toes. My BMI will slowly inch its way down as well.
    And the happy result of my w/kg increasing, though ever so slightly.
    It does after all, count.

This silly monitoring app wants me to weigh in daily. I see no reason to comply. I would rather smooth the jittering needle with a lower frequency sampling than try to correct daily metrics by sawing at the wheel.
    I prefer the old school method of navigation, fix your case on a feature on the horizon and point your rudder there. The steady flow of the wake off the stern will tell the tale of your progress.
    Ridge and Foot dragger like this.
  16. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    North,South,East and West. There is a huge fire burning in each direction from here. Friends in the mountains to the east are either evacuating or ready to do so. Last night the glow from the fire in Feather River canyon could be seen 70 miles away. Parts of Redding to the south are evacuating due to a brand new fire.
    I rode Mt bike this morning surveying more new trails and boundaries to said trails. I was up on the hill looking across valley and could watch the #augustcomplexfire blowing up to the west. The wind must have just hit over there and the fire looked like a 25,000' high explosion just went off.
    It was @ 965,000 acres before this last wind event started 2 days ago. That fire got over hiway 36 W which is what they were trying to prevent.

It seemed unreal to have a fire that's over 80 miles away look so huge.
  17. Mr Head

Oddometer:
    I sure hope this fire season ends soon, but I know that usually doesn't happen until December rains hit.

Another hour on the trainer. Good route from @joebar, Magic Carpet Ride it was. I didn't keep up, but it was a good workout. Made a chicken Caesar salad for lunch. Yummy.
    joebar and Foot dragger like this.
  18. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    aaah screw it

I'll run tomorrow

M
    nuggets and Mr Head like this.
  19. Bullseye

Bullseye Mr. Bad Example Supporter

Oddometer:
    The real reward is at the Jalama Beach Store where you can find the best burger on planet earth.
    38840608521_e7a7d7063f_c.jpg

In other news, I actually took a ride on the moto this weekend. I spent 4 days riding up through the Owen's Valley and back with a group from the ADV West forum.
    0927200712_HDR.jpg
  20. Mr Head

Oddometer:
    Oggy got his two year check this morning. His BMI is 16.75 at what they say is the 57 percentile for boys 0 - 36 months. He's a pancake thickness short of three feet tall.

@Bullseye Good to know about the burger. I bet Owens Valley is still hot. I've been out that way at the end of May, and beginning of November bot times were stinking hot. Someday I want to get to the hot springs, but I hate riding sand.
    Christine94 and Ridge like this.