1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Bicycle thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Zodiac, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Maritimer

Maritimer Bikeless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I ran!

It sucked!
  2. joebar

joebar R.I.P. Richard & Fabrizio

Oddometer:
    I am playing with the new GoPro HERO9 Black. Hypersmooth 3.0 in different modes, Horizon leveling, etc... I should be able to decide a baseline soon and will tweak it depending on the type of ride and conditions. Thanks for trying the new stuff! @Mr Head ;)
    Bullseye and Mr Head like this.
  3. Bullseye

Bullseye Mr. Bad Example Supporter

Oddometer:
    We had great weather. It was warm, but very comfy while moving. Even on the way home, I took some challenging dirt tracks through CalCity in the afternoon and was very comfortable. Only when I got down to Santa Clarita did I feel some real heat. We managed to stay out of the sand except for one section between Bishop and the Large Radio Observatory down by Big Pine. That got ugly. I hit some deep sand whoops that bounced me off into the ditch, fortunately I was not solo at the time and we got the bike upright without issue.
    Mr Head likes this.
  4. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    More about the burger.
    Askel, fullmonte, Ridge and 2 others like this.
  5. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie Supporter

Oddometer:
    :thumb

The sound was up on this one. That was cool, but I still couldn't catch more than a word once in a while.
    I noticed in this one I could catch a glimpse of your computer now and again. I've noticed in most videos I've used so far the horizon is set at the middle of the frame. I've been paying attention to things like that in anticipation of making my own videos eventually. I figure once I can ride outside, I'll be buying a Hero9 Black as well or whatever is current by then. :hmmmmm

Right now for GPS capture I figure to just use the watch and Strava. When I zoom in on routes I've ridden I'm where I expect to be. I already have a short list of the first few and a short play list too. On one of the videos in France I think it was had text pop up at the bottom of the view calling out sights. I liked that it broke up the serious trainer thing down to tourist mode now and then. I do look around in the video as it flies by.
    A fun thing in foreign lands for sure, and up around where you are, while I've motorcycled a good many roads around the area, I can say that I was pretty much lost all those times, just turning down roads as I felt it. And only checking later once it dawned on me I might need fuel and definitely need a natural break. :-)
    joebar and Bullseye like this.
  6. Mr Head

Oddometer:
    In order to stop for a burger at that store, I'd need a good sixty miles in hand to have burned enough calories. That calculation includes a post ride beer. :beer

:happay
    fullmonte, Christine94 and Bullseye like this.
  7. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    I get it goes against spirit of the class and I knew you couldn't do that at a big race. I figured it was for the guy who wanted to give SS a chance and see if he wanted to stick with it. I've seen done at local races and it was a few years ago, so I'm sure those guys had mechanical shifting. Yes, it would suck if someone was that low to stoop to such tactics, but it's racing, so I'm sure it's been done.
    fullmonte, Bullseye and Mr Head like this.
  8. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    I posted this before reading all the comments and see that it has been covered.
    Ridge likes this.
  9. CA_Strom

CA_Strom Cunning Linguist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Confirmed about the best burger on planet earth at Jalama Beach Store. Having grown up in Santa Maria, we'd head over to Jalama when we ditched high school. You're also really close to a hidden gem in the bustling metropolis of Casmalia (population 200). The Hitching Post has been there since 1900 and serves up a proper oak grilled steak and a stiff cocktail. Other than that, Casmalia is a wide spot in the road and formerly notorious for a toxic waste dump nearby that has since been shuttered.

Capture.JPG
    fullmonte, Askel, Ridge and 2 others like this.
  10. Christine94

Christine94 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Zero net gain, or loss as the case may be for the 60. So maybe you order a chicken salad and iced water... :-)
  11. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    It does for a while, then gets better the more you do it

AMHIK

Running has always helped my riding more than riding has helped my running

M
  12. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    SSCX races around here allow people to zip tie their shifters together and race.

Course, the top riders are all riding dedicated SSCX bikes

M
  13. fullmonte

fullmonte Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer:
    Ponder this for just a moment. I am running a 46 front with 11 rear (Road and gravel bikes) and have found the best method for topping out on any big downhill is to sprint up into the high 30’s mph and then get into a full on tuck. There are a couple of gravel segments on race courses where this method has landed me in front of guys with names like Hincapie and Armstrong.:dealThat’s no bullshit. No doping on my end.
    BCC and Mr Head like this.
  14. Maritimer

Maritimer Bikeless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh, I’m well aware of how this works. Anytime I take a running lay-off, it’s the same thing. A couple of weeks of sluggishness and then the riding legs transition to running legs and I’m fine again.

It still sucks, though.
    PoundSand, Ridge and chippertheripper like this.
  15. Askel

Askel Perma-n00b

Oddometer:
    Should probably get on that winter setup....

upload_2020-9-29_7-35-44.png
    fullmonte, Bappo, Mr Head and 4 others like this.
  16. Ridge

Ridge Faster than farm equipment. Supporter

Oddometer:
  17. dogsslober

dogsslober No neck tie, Ti neck

Oddometer:
    chasbo likes this.
  18. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    You use a dropper post to get more aero like many these days? That is something smoking Armstrong and Hincapie. Not sure what you mean there.

It always seemed like the trick was to get in as much tuck as possible and spin a tall gear down a hill. It all depends on the hill/wind/tire rolling resistance.
    Pushing a tall gear at lower rpm feels like it stabilizes the bike on fast downhill gravel.
    Lots of Sunday riders have no desire to go 40+ mph downhill on gravel. For good reason if they arent comfy on gravel.
    fullmonte and BCC like this.
  19. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    fixt

M
    Foot dragger likes this.
  20. Mr Head

Oddometer:
    @Christine94 Chicken salad is not a burger. And sampling a "Best in the world" burger is worth the effort in my book. I view it as motivation to exercise.
    Oh, and for the record, the best chicken salad I have had in my life was two years ago in Ouray Colorado. A small cafe, we sat out of doors in the shade watching the clouds over the mountains.

[​IMG]

The best burger I've sampled was from a shop, Redline Burger, now gone in the PNWet.

[​IMG]

Always fresh made after you order.

Since I was on an expense account at the time, I noticed they had failed to charge me the last time I was in the previous month. I handed them $20 cash to settle and tip.

That was back when receipts took a few weeks to appear. By my last trip, I would get notice on my phone sometimes within minutes of completing the transaction.

@Gummee! Running, well when I ran I noticed my balance improved. I ran once in the wild in Arizona where we used to meet and hike up into the hills. I ran back down to the car to get to the restroom. I outran several guys half my age who had run past, slowed to catch their breath when I passed them. Never to see them until much later in the parking lot. One nice bit about running in such dry air, sweat quickly disappears. I looked cool calm and collected as they say. That was a long time ago. Not sure my body is up to running anymore.

I still have this dream, or desire to run the beach here down to the old Western White House and back. Some winter after I've hammered enough miles on the pushie, perhaps I'll work up to it.

I need to clear my breakfast dishes away and get things ship shape here then drive to John Wayne and pick Lois up. Maybe I can get on the trainer later too.