Bicycle thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Zodiac, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Christine94

Christine94 ,..

Oddometer:
    :imaposer
  2. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave I cannot abide.

Oddometer:
    You're giving me hope.

I'm not sure what it is about it, but if my knees even brush by / bump into something, I go through pretty bad pain (sometimes near paralyzed and on the floor).

Like you, I've slowly built my legs and core up to be able to be 'normal' (meaning no back issues, strong enough to walk around while controlling the knees). Unlike you, I've never had an expert look at them. I just don't know if surgery is worth it as long as I don't want to jog/run.

I like your retirement goal.
    Mr Head likes this.
  3. Christine94

Christine94 ,..

Oddometer:
    Regarding the cross compatibility issue Gummee mentioned. Shimano did change the cable pull on GRX 10 speed. So 11 speed and Tiagra FD-4700 are cross compatible and is an old type I was talking about.
    Mambo Dave likes this.
  4. Mr Head

Mr Head Tired

Oddometer:
    I was told and shown the photos/scans of the scar tissue on the back of my patella that was the culprit. That tiny bone bit that sticks out on the outside of my knee is the worst. Right at the top outside 11 O'clock or ski when seated. Small, 4-legged cafe tables are the worst.

I ran for a few months using barefoot style. I taught myself the technique by running the steep hills where we used to live. Zero knee pain. Zero. Huge leg muscle pain from not running for the first couple of weeks. Then I managed to extend my runs to more than an hour and up to around five miles.
    Then work went full stupid for the next three months then finished and I was out of work and on lay-off notice, then nearly sent to Saudi for seven years. Saved my Wichita, though only for a while.

I've run only a couple of times since here on the beach in retirement. I can run down there in the winter on sand in real bare feet. Zero knee pain. I still have my five fingers and take them to Arizona when we go, in case I feel the need to get sore and tired.
    My brother is battling knee problems from playing basketball for years. he still goes to Colorado several times a winter to ski. I got rid of anything associated with winter sports leaving only my hockey skates. I should get those gone as well. I'm really unlikely to ever skate on ice again, but customized stuff is hard to part with. Skating in circles at open skate rinks is something that always used to cause me huge, crying on the floor knee pain. I've not done that in ages. Maybe twenty years now.
    Mambo Dave likes this.
  5. Christine94

Christine94 ,..

Oddometer:
    I am still in one piece I hope to be able to walk to my grave lol.
    Shawn595, DeepSea, Maritimer and 3 others like this.
  6. dogsslober

dogsslober No neck tie, Ti neck

Oddometer:
    My wife sent me this photo while I was at work today.
    IMG_1163.JPG
    Old Cowboy at the barn couldn't believe how much better Nina is doing.
  7. Mr Head

Mr Head Tired

Oddometer:
    Well, those errands took longer than expected.
    But, leather chair is on order. Should be here later this month. Lois found new shoes and I found a pair of shorts to replace the threadbare pair I was wearing. And wine was found too.
    Long day, but I got more walking in than my watch thinks. I guess I don't swing my arms as expected.

Somewhere around 75 miles of driving around bits of routes I ride or have ridden. A good thing I did all that because with construction, I know the side streets and what goes where.
    In all that driving when we were on side streets we saw maybe thirty bicycles total. 100% were e-bikes and none of them were pedaled. Several were riding the wrong way up hills in the bike lanes. I figure one more year of saturating the population with these before something bad happens so authorities finally decide to really regulate and enforce existing stuff.
    We saw no pedal bicycles other than those hanging in the rafters at REI.
    Christine94 and Mambo Dave like this.
  8. Askel

Askel Perma-n00b

Oddometer:
    That's a weird looking mountain bike. Must be some new hipster alt bars or something. :lol3
  9. dogsslober

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    F'n degenerate E bikers doesn't even have pedals
  10. DeepSea

DeepSea electronically challenged

Oddometer:
    She's with her new pack and doing great. :clap
    I've got two "working" dogs. They teach each other things almost as much as we teach them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  11. dogsslober

Oddometer:
    Fixed
    Christine94 and Mr Head like this.
  12. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    Got in a couple hours on the W&OD trail this afternoon.

Not too easy. Not too hard.

My buddy J is riding the FN Fast ATM. Rides my bike faster'n I do. :bluduh Course, he's a decade younger and 30-ish # lighter AND is unemployed so rides more miles than I do. :baldy

Aah well. Low 80s and breezy. Beats 90-some odd deg and 90-some odd % humidity :ricky

M
    Mr Head likes this.
  13. Christine94

Christine94 ,..

Oddometer:
    :lol3 I know the perfect place for the old chair... so you can shout at the kids on their ebikes.

grumpyoldman.jpe
    dogsslober, Mr Head, CA_Strom and 5 others like this.
  14. Mambo Dave

Oddometer:
    This is what has me leaning toward getting another doggo while I still have mine. They absolutely do teach each other.
    DeepSea likes this.
  15. DeepSea

DeepSea electronically challenged

Oddometer:
    Hopefully to teach the good habits. :lol3 My neighbors seem to have an abundance of untrained dogs. "Teaching" each other to bark for no apparent reason. :umph

Yesterday I was playing ball out back with Lola. The dozen or so shit zu's next door went off (at who knows what). Lexi (the border collie/aussie mix) and I were standing next to each other and staring at the fence. We looked at each other. She cocked her head and gave me the look of, "why do they do that?" :lol3

Having two intelligent, trained dogs make it hard to understand. How people can put their "pets" outside and just let them exist. Minimal interaction and zero training.

I'm just going to stop typing before I really start ranting. :lol3
    Hope everyone's Tuesday is going well.
    Steve
    Mambo Dave, Oznerol and Ridge like this.
  16. DeepBarney

DeepBarney International Bumbler

Oddometer:
    Got out for a short ride before dinner while the instant pot was doing it's magic on some frozen chicken. My legs don't like climbs...
    IMG_20210802_200716687_HDR.jpg
  17. filmfan

filmfan Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I lived in FL, overpasses and parking garages were the only places to get "hill work" in.
    Now, it's 300 feet down to get from my driveway to the main road, 3/4's of a mile away.

My younger self didn't entirely work out the ramifications of my older self living on a ski mountain.:lol3
  18. Mr Head

Mr Head Tired

Oddometer:
    No riding today and I'm going to skip tomorrow too, just to be safe. Woke feeling very second hand as the saying goes. Yuck. Semi-runny nose and watery eyes. No congestion, just blah.

Both Oggy and his mom have colds. I've spent the morning waxing in and out of napping on the couch. At least I feel like eating something now. I did figure out how to watch the Olympic mtb race, so I've seen patches of that, though now I'm more awake, I can't tell how it ended up looking like it does an hour in. An hour?
    Last thing I remember was a replay of some guy sliding a rear wheel and nearly high siding. The VDP crash was nasty looking. Saw a replay of that on somewhere.
    Mambo Dave likes this.
  19. Mambo Dave

Oddometer:
    That is beyond a great picture. The color experience from the top to the bottom is a trip unto itself.
    DeepBarney likes this.
  20. wvridgerider

wvridgerider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Damn parts are hard to come by, online no specials. Times really
    I put a GRX crank on my bike, I also purchased the front derailed and never put it on because my 105 double worked fine. The GRX just sits in my box now. I am reluctant to get rid of anything.