1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Bicycles mounted on motorcycle picture thread

Discussion in 'Photos' started by Cavernous, Nov 17, 2011.

1. JoToPe

JoToPe JoToPe

Oddometer:
    <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]-->[FONT=&quot]I have a bicycle carrier that you bolt on to the rear of your motorcycle (mine is a KLR 650) so that you can bring your bike with you. Manufactured by "2 X 2 Cycles" - don't really use it much anymore. If your interested, PM me.
    [/FONT]
  2. LordMDP

LordMDP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG] heres my setup--not sure what happened to my old pics on here. I no longer have the VFR tho so if anyone wants to buy my mount cheap let me know

Side mounts are the way to go!
  3. Tukata

Tukata ADV Demo Rider

Oddometer:
    Pmd you max over the weekend
  4. Holaday

Holaday Man of Leisure

Oddometer:
    Copied the 2X2 rack with a few adjustments. This is gonna make trips to Pemby, Whistler and Squamish to ride even more fun.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    hooli99 likes this.
  5. Bills_Motor_Werks

Bills_Motor_Werks n00b

Oddometer:
    This entire thread seems crazy. But I like it!
  6. cdk

cdk Swim Bike Run

Oddometer:
    DSC00026-2.jpg
    I don't think I have posted this on here before.... mainly checking how easy it is to post a photo on here now within the new and improved site!
    I've been running this setup for 3 or 4 years...works good except on blustery days.
  7. CptImagine

CptImagine NCC-1701-B

Oddometer:
    I tried to find a string like this on here . No luck and no responses from the airheads .. Directed here from the BikeForums.... It's a Yakima tray, Bianchi cross bike, this pic in upstate New York . Many miles of dirt roads in Pa's northern tier . Ride the mc in set camp then ride the bici . I call it 4 wheelin' Ride safe

Attached Files:

8. byknphil

byknphil lurker

Oddometer:
    Growler grab and a ride.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

littlelionmonster likes this.
  9. littlelionmonster

littlelionmonster Custom Faker

Oddometer:
    ^ That's a nice setup!
  10. bspadk

bspadk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is that a Yeti? I'm just finishing up a bike mount for my 800 XC. Will post a few pics soon.
  11. benjbeiler

benjbeiler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    20150207_090659.jpg
    I have had a lot of fun with both these bikes!
    kenstone likes this.
  12. byknphil

byknphil lurker

Oddometer:
    Thanks mate.

It a fatty fully Salsa Bucksaw. I mount both bike tires up there so people can see the left signal and brake light.
  13. bspadk

bspadk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice!!...Here are some pics of my ongoing project...sorry about the image quality...Everything is made out of wood but I will will make the final mount out of plate aluminum after I've used it a few times (I want the bike to go on and off quickly, I don't want to scratch or damage eithe bike, and I want to make sure the bike's handle bars don't interfer with me while driving down the road).
    photo-16.JPG
  14. byknphil

byknphil lurker

Oddometer:
    Keeping the bike low will help out when your bucking a 35 mph crosswind home after a long day on the trail. I had several pucker moment that day I can tell you.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
  15. bspadk

bspadk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I live in the mountains and don't get a lot of cross winds so I wasn't too concerned about that. My thought was to keep the mountain bike low and tight to preserve motorcycle handing, and to not draw too much attention to the setup. I looked at the 2x2 rack but wasn't satisfied with how it put the weight high and back and how visibl it made the bike. When I got a set of givi hard cases last summer I got one large (48 L) side bag and that, along with the top case, holds plenty of gear. I poured over the pics in this thread until I saw a design I liked; I modified that quite a bit and came up a way to hang the back half of the bike by the bike pedal's axl. The front attaches to a skewer mount ($20ish from Amazon), which in turn is attached to the motorcycle pedal (I got a front 800 xc pedal off Ebay for $25 and modified it to fit the rear - that pedal allows bolts to drop through the cleat). If all works as intended I'll get a 1 foot by 2 foot plate of 1/4" aluminum to make the final product.
  16. reed523

reed523 To pedal or not to pedal

Oddometer:
    I love this thread. Your setup is similar to mine. If I may before you make it final.....check you bicycle tire clearance in left hand sweepers. It needs to be mounted quite a bit higher than I would have ever guessed.
  17. bspadk

bspadk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for pointing out the possible problem - it is one concern I thought I had covered but your comment will make me take extra care when I test it out. The rear tire 13 inches from the center of the motorcycle (that's why I put it on the left side), and it is 16+ inches off the ground when the bike is static, unlaiden, and on its side stand. The first test ride will be in a parking lot where I will do a full suite of Total Control skills. I'll have someone watching to see just how low the rear wheel gets.
  18. knobbytracks

knobbytracks super n00b

Oddometer:
    I've lurked on this thread for some time to see the variety of bike racks. I've probably logged over 1000 miles using a home made 2x2 setup. I wanted to weigh in on the fact that there has been consideration given to the bike mounting height on several of these post. I went through this thought process when I built my rack and eventually realized, the bicycle only weighs 20-25 pounds which pales in comparison to carrying a passenger. I like my high mount except on windy days and then because I don't remove my rear wheel which makes the bike even more of a rudder. I think a high mount with the rear wheel removed would be more than tolerable.
  19. L_Bomb

L_Bomb Strewth and blimey

Oddometer:
    I took up mountain biking while living in the UK without a car which led me to finding a way of getting the mountain bike on the motorbike. This is my initial setup.
    000.jpg

This setup lacked storage space so I strapped the mountain bike on top of the top box.
    002.jpg

This setup wasn't very secure so I added a plank of wood out the back and a steel support strut. This allowed me to tie the seat down to the wood and stop it sliding forwards over the top box.
    003.jpg

Here she is all mounted up. I usually has E21 side cases on for extra storage but can't find a pic of them.
    004.jpg

I should note that it was very important for me for the setup to be narrow so I could filter through the horrid UK traffic!!!
  20. modestmuscle

modestmuscle Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    uploadfromtaptalk1455392741620.jpg