1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Bicycles mounted on motorcycle picture thread

Discussion in 'Photos' started by Cavernous, Nov 17, 2011.

1. TheVermonter

TheVermonter if it's not dirty ...are you really having fun?

Oddometer:
    homemade from all the insperation above, thanks

Attached Files:

kiwial and kenstone like this.
  2. FL_biker

FL_biker 2016 BMW R1200GS Adv

Oddometer:
    I'm lazy and just bought the 2x2cycles rack, BUT I used a Jesse QRDP (Quick Release Dual Plate) so that I can swap from Jesse Top box to Bicycle Rack in about a minute
    QRDP below
    [​IMG]

lets me go from this
    [​IMG]

to this in a minute
    [​IMG]
    kiwial likes this.
  3. _mtg_

_mtg_ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any new ideas? I'm planning on making a mount for my new-to-me R1200RT, looking to do a side mount similar to the fork mount/passenger peg location posted a couple pages ago, but make it mount to the BMW hard case mounts.
  4. mrhunt

mrhunt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    View attachment 575639

A buddy and I fabricated a mount. 3 bolts to the tail rack, goes on in about 2 minutes (including pulling tools from under the seat). Other than a little light in the front when you get after it, can't even tell it's back there. [​IMG]

Attached Files:

kiwial likes this.
  5. fhfr436

fhfr436 Thirsting for ADV

Oddometer:
    Nice. Are the crossbars round so that you can just use standard Yakima hardware?
    Please post some close-ups.
  6. mrhunt

mrhunt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Actually, they're just cut down Yakima bars with the plastic coating cut off (so we could weld) covered back with black tape. The rest is some 1" tubular steel from lowes and some old 1/8" plates. Photos to follow.
  7. mrhunt

mrhunt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IMG_2328.JPG IMG_2329.JPG

To attach: I replaced the two bolts holding the tail rack in place w/ two M8x1.25 65mm bolts going UP through from the storage area - one set of nuts holding the tail rack in place, a second set that hold the bike rack in place. A third bolt is from the back hole in the tail rack. Original plan was to just swap the existing bolts out and put new ones in down through, but after a gravel road get-off, the caribou rack is just tweaked enough that swapping them out often would be a PITA. 70mm bolts up through would be better - the 65mm ones are just a touch short, and with washers the bolts do not extend through the nuts, but that was the only thing I could find a Home Despised at the time.
  8. kenstone

kenstone worn out

Oddometer:
    Very similar to my design, with a bicycle only weighing 25-30# max, most all of the DIY racks posted here are copies of commercial racks made for cars where weight is not an important consideration.
    Some even use components from commercial auto racks that are way (weigh) over engineered, and ad even more heavy material to the design.
    I used 2x4 scraps as the main components/frame of my rack( no welding), bolted together in a "T" shape, along with a commercial fork clamp, and it has worked for many years and adapted to many different MCs.
    RacNow2.JPG
    TopView.JPG
    :lol3
    kiwial likes this.
  9. jetdoc2

jetdoc2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IMG_2056.jpg not "on" the bike....but close
  10. fhfr436

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't think that setup won't have a long life. The aluminum wheel tray just isn't strong enough to handle the load on the cantilever and will buckle. I've seen photos of the aftermath, posted here I believe, but couldn't find them today.
    That previous poster retrofitted it with some kind of steel strongback below the tray to provide the necessary flexural strength.
    A simple improvement would be to use a strap from the rear wheel (axle or contact patch), up over the handlebars and down to the rack near the front fork tips. The tension of the strap would provide relief to the downward force on the wheel tray.

[​IMG][/QUOTE]
  11. Dirt Bag

Dirt Bag Jesus Hates A Pussy Supporter

Oddometer:
    I really like your setup- very neat fabrication. Not sure about the rigidity of the cantilevered tray, but easy enough to insert a steel strap in the groove under the tray. Since we are close I would buy it but I always ride bikes with my boys. Good job!
  12. rosskeeling

rosskeeling Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I went with the 2x2 Cycles set up as they are right down the road from me. Here is the set up on my F800GS (sold) and getting installed in the new ride, multistrada 1200.

IMG_4370.JPG IMG_2205.JPG
    kiwial likes this.
  13. knobbytracks

knobbytracks super n00b

Oddometer:
    [/QUOTE]

The 1.5" square stock running down the back side of the tray supports it about half way back and that keeps everything nice and stiff. Add to that the bike only weighs 22 lbs. I've had it downs some gravel roads and bounced it a few times well over my comfort level with no issues. It looks like a ominous mass but probably far lighter than some top cases minus the cantilever effect.
    fhfr436 likes this.
  14. knobbytracks

knobbytracks super n00b

Oddometer:

You live in a great location for this type of 2x2 action.
    rosskeeling likes this.
  15. fhfr436

Oddometer:
    Nice and simple - well done.
    Independently, I came up with a similar idea last year, but have yet to move ahead on it.
    My design inspiration was based on the Peg Packer system.
    If I can get it to work, my vision is to have the QR skewer rotated 90ยบ so that the handlebars are out, away from the driver's body. This would be especially important for MTB bars, being quite a bit wider.
    I like the design of the 2x2 system, but don't care for the super-high profile of them.
    I'm also kicking around the idea trying to replicate the 2x2, but as a side-mount like this, rather than a top mount.
    Also, I'd consider taking both wheels off to reduce the overall length.
  16. semper-guzzi

semper-guzzi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I want to mount my ebike onto the Roadster to ride to some further away singletrack. The issue is, my bike is a bit heavier with the electric motor and battery. About 60lbs or so. I think a side mount would be nice, but maybe I can put the battery and front tire on one side and the bike on the other to help level it out, or try and come up with something mounted on the back to keep it a little more balanced. I like seeing these pictures as they give me some ideas.

Has anyone here towed their bicycle by having the front wheel lifted and rolling the back tire on the road? I worry about the bearings at fast road speeds tho....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
  17. fhfr436

Oddometer:
    I had a friend do that exact thing with his BMW R??? when we were in college 25+ years ago. I don't recall him having any problems due to it, but like you, I'd be worried about the wheel bearings ... and the tires.
  18. Lordendo

Lordendo Adventurer

Oddometer:
  19. Canuck403

Canuck403 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That would be putting a lot of weight very far back. Two bikes plus the rack in that position would be asking for trouble.

Oh, and I think my Kuat rack looks way better than the NSR!
  20. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor

Oddometer:
    I took a slightly different approach...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    kiwial and RAGBrian like this.