Bicycles on the road

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by ThatOtherGuy, Oct 12, 2011.

1. enduro0125

enduro0125 Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer:
    Just bustin’ on ya!

Nice whip.

:thumb
    High Country Herb likes this.
  2. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is it legal to ride on the wrong side of the road into oncoming traffic on a bike?
  3. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    No, but if sidewalk use is permitted riding against traffic on the sidewalk is, just not advisable.
  4. Telemarktumalo

Telemarktumalo Go Red Sox!

Oddometer:
    It makes about as much sense as riding your motorcycle on the wrong side of the road. On my work commute, there is a 3 ft. bike lane in both directions. I do occasionally see some imbecile riding against traffic. When I encounter them, once of us will have to stop or risk having one of us ride into traffic. I usually provide the "suggestion" that they ride with traffic. At risk of generalizing, it seems that these riders appear inexperienced, usually riding without a helmet, or without lights after dusk, etc. If you are uncertain, take a bike safety class, because if you haven't gotten this basic premise figured out, there are many more that you don't know as well.
  5. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    Reason #3115B to not ride sidewalks: drivers aren't looking for traffic that isn't acting like traffic. I've had the experience of riding a MUT right next to the roadway where drivers don't see me coming up to the intersection from all 3 directions. Makes for an 'interesting' interaction as drivers stop in the middle of the intersection when they finally see me.

IOW drivers aren't paying attention to things not immediately in front of them:
    [​IMG]

If you think that the cyclingsavvy doesn't work or is illegal, I've got another thought for you. This one's straight from the VA driving manual (and most states are similar):
    M
    Telemarktumalo likes this.
  6. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    When one is aware of the potential hazards, the sidewalk can be a legitimate, safe, and viable option depending on conditions.

Shame on Cycling savvy and cyclists who claim otherwise to support their agendas. It's an option, not an attack on the rights of cyclists to use the road.
  7. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave I cannot abide.

Oddometer:
    No sidewalks around this weekend's rides.

[​IMG]
    Telemarktumalo and enduro0125 like this.
  8. scrubb

scrubb Master of Mayhem

Oddometer:
    In San Diego it is illegal. Besides that, it is very unsafe, IMO. It causes confusion to other cyclists, pedestrians, and motor traffic. This could result in an accident. You are pretty much held to the same rules of the road as a car.

City of SD website:
    “Bicycle riders must obey the same driving rules as a car. A bicycle has to stop at stop signs and red lights. A bicycle has to ride on the right side of the road close to the curb. A bicycle must also stop for pedestrians in a crosswalk.”
  9. MotoChris521

MotoChris521 expert apprentice

Oddometer:
    HaHa. Like that would happen with the entitled FFs here .
  10. Mambo Dave

Oddometer:
    This just got posted a few minutes ago:

Ridge and Telemarktumalo like this.
  11. scrubb

scrubb Master of Mayhem

Oddometer:
    Touché.

Btw, what does FF mean? My chat lingo is lacking it seems.
  12. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's up to the cyclist how close to the curb they feel is safe.

Not the motorists who think they should ride within inches of the curb so they can squeeze past with inches to spare rather than waiting for it to be safe and legal to pass.

Not the cyclingsavvy activist who feels entitled to interfere with other road users with blocking manouvers and signals with the intention of controlling them.
    enduro0125 and Mambo Dave like this.
  13. enduro0125

Oddometer:
    If you don’t ride a bicycle it means Fat Fuck.

3A99C536-E140-4634-B13B-1679E38DDBDE.jpeg
    Telemarktumalo and scrubb like this.
  14. XRCA

XRCA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure that wanting to stay alive while riding a bicycle constitutes an agenda. Critical massholes that give us all a bad name, on the other hand, I think, do more harm than good for relations. Just like the tools who stunt on the road on their sport bikes or the cruiser groups that refuse to let anyone pass on a highway while they are all doing 30. Relations between groups of people are more critical than we give credit for.

That being said, I am spending more time riding dirt because cars are so crazy and unpredictable. Mambo Dave's picture looks like a great road for gravel riding. I may get one as my next whip, but trying to decide what kind: Cannondale Topstone, Lauf True Grit, or Nukeproof Digger Pro.
    bykemike, Mambo Dave and scrubb like this.
  15. Mambo Dave

Oddometer:
    Just a note about that - from what I can tell on Strava, gravel bikes avoid that road despite it being a nice ride - they do hit all the harder-pack, gravel-sand-mix roads around it. Perhaps having just slightly wider tires on my old converted/repurposed MTB-to-Gravel-Bike gave me the edge to enjoy it? 1.9 Continental Double Fighter III on the rear (basically a true gravel tire), 2.1 something rather on the front.

You may be a much faster gravel-racing competitor than I, but I'm really happy with a bike that hits it all, vs. a 'nearly all' gravel bike. The only local terrain I'd think this wasn't good for would be real sugar-sand.
    Telemarktumalo likes this.
  16. XRCA

XRCA Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Though this wouldn't be terribly different than my current mountain rig: fully rigid single speed 29er with custom steel frame and carbon fork. It was my post-deployment present to myself after coming back from the Arabian Gulf for 6 months.
    enduro0125 and Mambo Dave like this.
  17. Center-stand

Center-stand Long timer

Oddometer:

Naked Florida Man Bikes Backwards on Miami Highway

[​IMG]

Wearing bright color so he is sure to be seen. Safety first.

Mambo Dave likes this.
  18. enduro0125

Oddometer:
    Thank goodness it’s a blurry photo.
    Mambo Dave likes this.
  19. Telemarktumalo

Telemarktumalo Go Red Sox!

Oddometer:
    Don't be a jerk. I'm sure your mother taught you better
  20. Mambo Dave