Bicycles on the road

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by ThatOtherGuy, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave I cannot abide.

Oddometer:
  2. Telemarktumalo

Telemarktumalo Go Red Sox!

Oddometer:
    Drive side up! Well done.
    Mambo Dave likes this.
  3. ozmoses

ozmoses . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Telemarktumalo likes this.
  4. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's not a new concept. I've seen it suggested before that one shouldn't self identify or call others a cyclist, but say I ride a bike, or a person on bike.

I get it, but doubt it would make a difference. To an impatient driver, anyone slower than them is a jerk.
    Mambo Dave likes this.
  5. Center-stand

Center-stand Long timer

Oddometer:
    https://redirect.viglink.com/?forma...t human enough for drivers: study </b></span>

I see no value in studies like this. Showing anyone an evolutionary scale of insect to human or ape to human and asking them to identify where a cyclist might fit on that scale can't be scientific. When given limited choices that really don't pertain to the actual, relevant premise, one might choose based on their last negative encounter with a cyclist or simply humor, we don't know.

This is designed to create animosity, or division, something we don't need more of. It is interesting that, "On both ape-human and insect-human scales, 55 per cent of non-cyclists and 30 per cent of cyclists rated cyclists as not completely human". Apparently some cyclists are riding with or around people they don't value highly.

On the other hand we have to remember that on repeated occasions, within these pages, cyclists have told motorists when driving narrow, curvy, or hilly roads, that they should treat cyclists like a fallen tree, stray animal, or other road debris, as if cyclists are not capable of acting more intelligent than farm animals or inanimate objects.

Spring is here, more cyclists on the road, be careful.

6. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think some people hate cyclists out of hand because they assume any adult riding a bicycle must be a liberal, environmentalist, athlete, vegan, unemployed, homosexual, street person, has suspended licence, immigrant, pacifist, hipster, or some other identity that sets them off.

Some can't comprehend that a "normal well adjusted adult" (by their definition) could simply find riding a bicycle enjoyable or convenient, and not because they have an agenda, or trying to make a lifestyle statement.
    ozmoses, Marto71 and c_m_shooter like this.
  7. enduro0125

enduro0125 Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer:
  8. Center-stand

Center-stand Long timer

Oddometer:

Dang, I think anyone who can name that many different identities, might be an unemployed athletic homosexual liberal vegan pacifist immigrant hipster environmentalist street person without a drivers license. Most likely a cyclist. ....................... Maybe not.:-)

I've always heard, and tend to agree, the only "normal" people are the ones we don't know. Neither I, nor my friends are "normal" each of us have our own eccentricities that we learn about each other by being friends.

9. enduro0125

enduro0125 Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer:
    Is his name Wayne?
  10. AntiSuperEgo

AntiSuperEgo Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have raced Road, MTB and Cyclocross and been a race promoter. There are cyclist that annoy me.
    ozmoses and MotoChris521 like this.
  11. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's true, there really isn't a "normal". Labeling someone true or not just makes it easy to hate on them because "they" are different.

One thing for sure, a person with that many identities would be interesting.....and have lots of excess energy.....they would need to ride a bike. :lol3
  12. Ridge

Ridge Faster than farm equipment... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Caught on my handlebar cam from this past Sunday...

Burgundy Chevrolet Truck_EDF-4381_9min-43sec_Moment2.jpg
    Burgundy Chevrolet Truck_EDF-4381_9min-43sec_Moment11.jpg Burgundy Chevrolet Truck_EDF-4381_9min-43sec_Moment12.jpg Burgundy Chevrolet Truck_EDF-4381_9min-43sec_Moment13.jpg
  13. Desce

Desce Finished Pig

Oddometer:
    Man I know that one . Keeps me from riding roads like that one unfortunately. That's every other car here in DC. Sadly I believe it's done with malice and anger . At what I'm not sure, hatred of their own out of shape selves ?
  14. XRCA

XRCA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yikes. I've thought about getting the Cycliq Fly12, but since I already have a headlight and gopro, it seems excessive. I do like the all-in-one thing it has going on though. I do have a Fly6 for the rear, but hopefully it was just close and not also aggressive...
  15. Ridge

Oddometer:
    T'was very aggressive... hand stuck on horn button and holding it down, heard the engine rev up and intentionally cut as close as possible. To be fair though; this was the only asshole in a 67 mile, 3.5 hour ride. That's usually the case though; the ratio of assholes to courteous drivers is something like 1:500...

No sound in video as I don't record with a microphone. It just usually picks up a bunch of wind noise and takes up more memory.

Mr Head and Mambo Dave like this.
  16. XRCA

XRCA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you notify the police? Hope you enjoyed the rest of the ride. I've been doing so much on Zwift or Fulgaz recently, since dealing with cars while motorcycling doesn't make me excited to take the engine out of the equation and get back on the road. Either that or mountain biking, but I still want a gravel bike :)
    Ridge and Mambo Dave like this.
  17. Ridge

Oddometer:
    Working on it... trying to get the right person at the Sheriff's office for that county.
    enduro0125 likes this.
  18. XRCA

XRCA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Best of luck. I get sad when I think about getting killed by one of these people and my little girls (3 and 1) having to grow up without me. I know that being on a motorcycle forum that yes there is increased risk while on moto, and maybe I really should just harden up and ride on road more often, but people are crazy. Even crazier when they think they'll get away with hurting/killing someone else.
    Ridge likes this.
  19. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave I cannot abide.

Oddometer:
    I made the promise to myself that, should I ever have kids, I wouldn't ride road motorcycles between their ages of zero and 18. I've been too close to losing my life to errant cage drivers.
  20. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you want to look n the bright side, those people are at least aware of your presence, and are highly unlikely to actually hit you. It's the distracted, or impaired driver that is likely the one that will get you.