Bicycles on the road

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by ThatOtherGuy, Oct 12, 2011.

1. XRCA

XRCA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Were you able to get the license plate?
  2. XRCA

XRCA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice bike. What frame is that?
  3. Ridge

Ridge Faster than farm equipment. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Clear as a bell, and turned over to the Sheriff.
  4. XRCA

XRCA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice. I have a Cycliq Fly6 CE on the back, and go back and forth on the gopro up front. I just don't like bulky up front. In other news, I have started riding more gravel on my road bike. I kinda feel bad for my road bike, but it's nice not to stress about it.
    Ridge likes this.
  5. Ridge

Oddometer:
    Here in NC, motor vehicles aren't required to have front-facing license plates or I'd just run one facing rear and, like you, go with something like the Cycliq. In order to catch identity, we have to face front, which often loses context without a pairing to the rear perspective.
  6. XRCA

XRCA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Weird. Then you don't necessarily get their face, so the driver can claim it wasn't them. How odd.
  7. Ridge

Oddometer:
    They address that by charging the owner of the vehicle to whom it's registered. It's then upon the owner to defer if they were driving at the time or not and to throw someone else under the bus.
  8. XRCA

XRCA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Going to do any riding this weekend? I cleaned my road bike yesterday (clean drivetrain is a happy drivetrain) and want to get it dirty again. I've also been doing Zwift Academy, so interesting to see my FTP going up. Now if only the headwinds outside would chill out.
  9. Ridge

Oddometer:
    I'll squeeze in some single track, hopefully both days. Did a 152 mile road ride last Saturday and that took the wind outta my sails to recover. Besides, my upcoming races are all in the woods and I need to hone that skillset back to a sharp edge.
  10. XRCA

XRCA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow! I can't wait to have that kind of time again. Speaking of recovery, I picked one of these up the other day. It's an interesting bit of kit, but sure seems helpful for when I feel like I want to ride but probably shouldn't because of still being cooked: https://www.whoop.com/
  11. Ridge

Oddometer:
    Interesting, I'll have to dig into that one... have not heard of it.
  12. O.C.F.RIDER

O.C.F.RIDER Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer:
    :photogDoesn't seem your plea was heeded.

:imaposer
  13. O.C.F.RIDER

O.C.F.RIDER Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer:
    If ya would've been riding single-file, I doubt there would have been a issue.
    When I ride my bicycle, I'm ALL the way to the inside as far as I can get.
    And when I'm in my Jeep, sightseeing, if someone comes up in back, I move over to let them go on their merry way.
    But that's just my .02.

Let the flaming begin!
  14. Jarrett2

Jarrett2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What state does "PUNCHMAN" live in?
  15. Ridge

Oddometer:
    Oh, look errbody

fife.jpg

All I seem to be reading is that you are the most congenial and noble traffic user out there that never, ever impedes anyone, never breaks or bends a law, and is the most empathically generous person on the planet... If that's the case, congratulations; you just keep being you...

North Carolina
    Jarrett2 likes this.
  16. glory racing

glory racing Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What was the crime?
  17. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    ?

Did they give you a ticket?
    MotoChris521 likes this.
  18. Ridge

Oddometer:
    N.C.G.S. 20-150 Limitations on privilege of overtaking and passing.

(a)The driver of a vehicle shall not drive to the left side of the center of a highway, in overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction, unless such left side is clearly visible and is free of oncoming traffic for a sufficient distance ahead to permit such overtaking and passing to be made in safety.

(b)The driver of a vehicle shall not overtake and pass another vehicle proceeding in the same direction upon the crest of a grade or upon a curve in the highway where the driver's view along the highway is obstructed within a distance of 500 feet.

(c)The driver of a vehicle shall not overtake and pass any other vehicle proceeding in the same direction at any railway grade crossing nor at any intersection of highway unless permitted so to do by a traffic or police officer. For the purposes of this section the words "intersection of highway" shall be defined and limited to intersections designated and marked by the Department of Transportation by appropriate signs, and street intersections in cities and towns.

(d)The driver of a vehicle shall not drive to the left side of the centerline of a highway upon the crest of a grade or upon a curve in the highway where such centerline has been placed upon such highway by the Department of Transportation, and is visible.

(e)The driver of a vehicle shall not overtake and pass another on any portion of the highway which is marked by signs, markers or markings placed by the Department of Transportation stating or clearly indicating that passing should not be attempted. The prohibition in this section shall not apply when the overtaking and passing is done in accordance with all of the following:
    (1)The slower moving vehicle to be passed is a bicycle or a moped.
    (2)The slower moving vehicle is proceeding in the same direction as the faster moving vehicle.
    (3)The driver of the faster moving vehicle either (i) provides a minimum of four feet between the faster moving vehicle and the slower moving vehicle or (ii) completely enters the left lane of the highway.
    (4)The operator of the slower moving vehicle is not (i) making a left turn or (ii) signaling in accordance with G.S.20-154 that he or she intends to make a left turn.
    (5)The driver of the faster moving vehicle complies with all other applicable requirements set forth in this section.

Along with:

N.C. ยง 20-141.6. Aggressive Driving.

(a)Any person who operates a motor vehicle on a street, highway, or public vehicular area is guilty of aggressive driving if the person:
    (1)Violates either G.S. 20-141 or G.S. 20-141.1, and
    (2)Drives carelessly and heedlessly in willful or wanton disregard of the rights or safety of others.

(b)For the purposes of this section only, in order to prove a violation of subsection (a) (2), the State must show that the person committed two or more of the below specified offenses while in violation of subsection (a)

(1):(1)Running through a red light in violation of G.S. 20-158(b)(2) or (b)(3), or G.S. 20-158(c)(2) or (c)(3).
    (2)Running through a stop sign in violation of G.S. 20-158(b)(1) or (c)(1).
    (3)Illegal passing in violation of G.S. 20-149 or G.S. 20-150.
    (4)Failing to yield right-of-way in violation of G.S. 20-155, 20-156, 20-158(b)(4) or (c)(4) or 20-158.1.
    (5)Following too closely in violation of G.S. 20-152.
    (c)A person convicted of aggressive driving is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.(d)The offense of reckless driving under G.S. 20-140 is a lesser-included offense of the offense set forth in this section. (2004-193, s. 1.)

For?
    RVFlyer likes this.
  19. glory racing

glory racing Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does the law state that it does not apply to bicycles or mopeds? So you are upset because the truck may not have given you 4 feet of clearance?
    We get a lot of bike riders to the area and therefore i am trying to understand your thoughts and perspective. (without reading 600+ pages)
  20. MeterPig

MeterPig Meh

Oddometer:
    Thank you for joining the victim blaming crowd. What you are really saying is "if she wouldn't talk so much, maybe her boyfriend wouldn't beat her". So tough guy, tell me, with 300hp, why could not the stellar driver in the tundra give space as they were going around? Are you seriously apologizing for them?