Bicycles on the road

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by ThatOtherGuy, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Telemarktumalo

Telemarktumalo Go Red Sox!

Oddometer:
    Heard that. I'm spending much more time on dirt these days. These are 2.1's. Done a couple of grinders with this set up running about 35 psi.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    brewer90 and Mambo Dave like this.
  2. Center-stand

Center-stand Long timer

Oddometer:

So I'm driving down the street and I come up behind what appears to be a one armed cyclist on a cruiser style bike. The rider, with head down, is moving from side to side in a track about 6 feet wide as we approach a T intersection. There is a slight rise and a railroad track to cross before making a turn. There is a left turn lane and a right turn lane. When the cyclist hits the slight upgrade it seems that pedaling and holding a line is a bit more than the cyclist can manage, and I am unsure if he/she/it is just struggling or if they are tying to move to the left turn lane. Seems oblivious to presence of other traffic.

The light turns green as we approach. My route is to the right, but still waiting for the cyclist to make up their mind. Finally, cyclist swings to turn right into the right lane of a four lane street with a substantial bike lane on the right curb that was totally missed. Gradually cyclist moves into the bike lane, I go ahead around and as I do I check out the rider. Still unsure if it was a he or she, but it was not one armed. It was texting.

It's not just the soccer moms.

3. enduro0125

enduro0125 Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer:
    Cool story bro.
  4. Ridge

Ridge Faster than farm equipment... Supporter

Oddometer:
    The latest one I filed a Sheriff report for...

5. XRCA

XRCA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Were you able to get the license plate?
  6. XRCA

XRCA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice bike. What frame is that?
  7. Ridge

Oddometer:
    Clear as a bell, and turned over to the Sheriff.
  8. XRCA

XRCA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice. I have a Cycliq Fly6 CE on the back, and go back and forth on the gopro up front. I just don't like bulky up front. In other news, I have started riding more gravel on my road bike. I kinda feel bad for my road bike, but it's nice not to stress about it.
    Ridge likes this.
  9. Ridge

Oddometer:
    Here in NC, motor vehicles aren't required to have front-facing license plates or I'd just run one facing rear and, like you, go with something like the Cycliq. In order to catch identity, we have to face front, which often loses context without a pairing to the rear perspective.
  10. XRCA

XRCA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Weird. Then you don't necessarily get their face, so the driver can claim it wasn't them. How odd.
  11. Ridge

Oddometer:
    They address that by charging the owner of the vehicle to whom it's registered. It's then upon the owner to defer if they were driving at the time or not and to throw someone else under the bus.
  12. XRCA

XRCA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Going to do any riding this weekend? I cleaned my road bike yesterday (clean drivetrain is a happy drivetrain) and want to get it dirty again. I've also been doing Zwift Academy, so interesting to see my FTP going up. Now if only the headwinds outside would chill out.
  13. Ridge

Oddometer:
    I'll squeeze in some single track, hopefully both days. Did a 152 mile road ride last Saturday and that took the wind outta my sails to recover. Besides, my upcoming races are all in the woods and I need to hone that skillset back to a sharp edge.
  14. XRCA

XRCA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow! I can't wait to have that kind of time again. Speaking of recovery, I picked one of these up the other day. It's an interesting bit of kit, but sure seems helpful for when I feel like I want to ride but probably shouldn't because of still being cooked: https://www.whoop.com/
  15. Ridge

Oddometer:
    Interesting, I'll have to dig into that one... have not heard of it.