1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Bicycles on the road

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by ThatOtherGuy, Oct 12, 2011.

1. glory racing

glory racing Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That there is some funny sh!t.
    ChopperCharles likes this.
  2. Ridge

Ridge Faster than farm equipment. Supporter

Oddometer:
    :patch

Did a 120 mile ride on the Blue Ridge Parkway yesterday. Sections of it are closed to motor vehicle traffic and riding was BLISSFUL on those sections. Got to stop on the Linn Cove Viaduct and just take in the majesty that are the Blue Ridge Mountains... descending with the full width of the road was kind of nice as well... Only got some gruff from some pirates that got all bent out of shape after they had passed and got stopped at the section at Little Switzerland. One of them asked as I pedaled by the gate "Hey, you think we can just ride through?" I just replied to take it up with the Rangers, since they were parked on the closed sections to monitor.

fkMppTLETnGysUW7eRMpiw.jpg

zzEW8m0kQYq5C5daAcMOBg.jpg
  3. enduro0125

enduro0125 Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer:
    Descending from Little Switzerland had to be wicked fun!
    Barry likes this.
  4. Ridge

Oddometer:
    46.7mph of fun... :D
    Barry likes this.
  5. glory racing

Oddometer:
    What would be the safety logic reason for allowing people on bicycles but not people on motorcycles?
  6. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    To trigger those who think everything is a conspiracy, and never heard of google.
    liberpolly and Barry like this.
  7. OMB

OMB n00b

Oddometer:
    ^^^ Few things more satisfying than riding my MTB past a mile+ line of cars/campers and then flashing the ranger my park pass as I never stop rolling. Although filtering through a 14km stau is pretty nice as well.

That said, I get off the road pronto and stick to the trails when it comes to pedal bikes. Too many angry, triggered and distracted people, and sooner or later, one of them will run me over. Plenty of fitness to be found on Zwift.
  8. glory racing

Oddometer:
    Thanx for the informative post. And google is the debil.
  9. Ridge

Oddometer:
    The fact that you are asking exemplifies your lack of understanding the differential of speed and safety between operating a motorcycle vs. a bicycle on mountain roads. My average speed for that 120 miles was 14mph and the fastest I got on a downhill was 46mph... the speed limit for the BRP is 45mph. If all the motorcycles that passed us on the opened sections are indicative of human behavior and the BRP was left open to them as well; there would be multiple deaths, Air Medevac calls, and a strain on the local healthcare system from motorcyclists that do not understand/recognize how to ride within their skill level.

BRP_Stats.PNG
  10. glory racing

Oddometer:
    So you are suggesting it is simply an emergency response issue. The chances of an emergency need for a motorcyclist is greater than for a bicyclist. Perhaps cars and motorcycles should not be allowed to drive/ride at all then? Whether essential or not, it is just too dangerous for a motorized vehicle to be operated. If it makes since on the BRP then why not anywhere/everywhere.

Thankfully the elective surgery bans are now being lifted and hospitals can get back to almost normal operation and stop being idle and empty and therefore losing money/jobs/etc. In locations, they really do need some people to crash.
  11. Ridge

Oddometer:
    Try your whataboutism on someone else... I ride right on by slippery slopes...

Be on the lookout for pedestrians, as hikers may cross the road to reach trailheads. Many bicyclists frequent the Parkway and move at a slower pace than cars.

Maybe have a go at the National Parks Service for prohibiting motorized and sail boating on Price Lake as well as from swimming in Parkway lakes and ponds...

No swimming in Parkway lakes and ponds. They are for fishing and scenic beauty only. Swimming facilities are available in nearby U.S. forest Services recreation areas, state parks, and mountain resorts.

Boats without motor or sail are permitted on Price Lake.
  12. glory racing

Oddometer:
    Yep...lots of hard to understand and justify federal do's and don'ts. Once again, guberment and politicians at work.
  13. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    Paris to turn over major road arteries to bicycles in a bid to limit crowds on public transport when France begins lifting its coronavirus lockdown.

https://timesofmalta.com/articles/view/paris-to-turn-over-more-streets-to-bikes-post-lockdown.790076
    said.

"In total, 50 kilometres of lanes normally used by cars will be reserved for bicycles," Anne Hidalgo, the city's mayor said.

She also said another 30 streets would be made pedestrian-only, "in particular around schools to avoid groups of people," she said.

The mayor had already announced last week that the Rue de Rivoli, the main east-west thoroughfare through the heart of the French capital, would be only for bikes starting May 11.

Other streets will include the Boulevard Saint-Michel in the Left Bank's Saint-Germain neighbourhood, and the express tunnel under the chaotic roundabout at the Arc de Triomphe.

Many Paris suburbs have also announced plans for new bike lanes.
    Ridge likes this.
  14. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Certain roads, and most parking lots are closed to motor vehicles in parks to limit access and reduce the number of users. It has absolutely nothing to do with safety of a bicycle vs a motorcycle.
  15. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    They're permanently closing a bunch of streets in Seattle, and I couldn't be happier. Just bought my first carbon road bike...
    Watercat likes this.
  16. Center-stand

Center-stand Long timer

Oddometer:

My somewhat limited experience on fast downhill speeds on bicycles suggest to me an equally qualified rider on equally conditioned, bike vs motorcycle, in an emergency evasive or stopping maneuver from a speed of 45 mph, the motorcycle performs safer. Bicycle speeds above 30 mph or so, especially on downhill runs, makes emergency stopping and evasive moves difficult.

Nobody ever asks what was your average speed for the day when you have an accident, they want to know how fast were you going when you wrecked?

17. Center-stand

Center-stand Long timer

Oddometer:

https://www.ncleg.gov/Search/GeneralStatutes

§ 20-149. Overtaking a vehicle.
    (a) The driver of any such vehicle overtaking another vehicle proceeding in the same direction shall pass at least two feet to the left thereof, and shall not again drive to the right side of the highway until safely clear of such overtaken vehicle. This subsection shall not apply when the overtaking and passing is done pursuant to the provisions of G.S. 20-150(e) or G.S. 20-150.1.
    (b) Except when overtaking and passing on the right is permitted, the driver of an overtaken vehicle shall give way to the right in favor of the overtaking vehicle while being lawfully overtaken on audible signal and shall not increase the speed of his vehicle until completely passed by the overtaking vehicle. Failure to comply with this subsection: (1) Is a Class 1 misdemeanor when the failure is the proximate cause of a collision resulting in serious bodily injury.
    (2) Is a Class 2 misdemeanor when the failure is the proximate cause of a collision resulting in bodily injury or property damage.
    (3) Is, in all other cases, an infraction. (1937, c. 407, s. 111; 1955, c. 913, s. 3; 1959, c. 247; 1973, c. 1330, s. 15; 1995, c. 283, s. 1; 2016-90, s. 5.5(b).)

18. Ridge

Oddometer:
    True maybe for rim-brake bikes on carbon-fiber rims not designed to shed heat... but you're biasing the result with the "equally qualified rider on equally conditioned" part... coaster brakes on bicycles are a thing of the past. Modern bicycles of all categories now come standard with hydraulic disc brakes that equal or rival those on motorcycles... all riding surface and environmental variables being equal between a disc-brake equipped bicycle and motorcycle descending a curvy road at 45mph; the difference in their braking ability would err more toward the bicycle having a reduced stopping distance just based on the reduced weight/mass vs any motorcycle.

Experience obviously plays a huge hand in both scenarios but the rub lies in the potential for speed-related accidents. A bicycle cannot easily approach nor exceed the posted speed limit on the Parkway except when descending very few long/steep hills. A motorcycle can easily exceed those limits on any section of road with just the twist of a throttle and with little to no experience required to do so... add in descending radius curves, panoramic scenery distracting views, on a closed road to other traffic and the stage is set to prove Darwin's theory...

Why you posted the passing law for N.C. is beyond me... how could I, on a bicycle, increase my speed or move any further to the right without being on the shoulder? It also states "on audible signal" and I can assure you, not a single motor vehicle that passed us gave an audible signal.

I actually chatted with the moto group when we met them at the base of Mt. Mitchell and they were faced with another 11 mile closed section with the only re-route to go back the way they came and descend out of the high country. No arguments were had, we laughed at the situation, and I even challenged them to a race back to the point where we both started... they said they'd give us a 20 minute head start.

Not every interaction between cyclists and vehicle operators is one of conflict...
    scot_douglas likes this.
  19. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's not accurate, they're still very common in many places where a bicycle is a "vehicle" rather than sports equipment, and seem to be less uncommon here than they had been in the recent past.

I have a bike with a modern Sturmey Archer 5 speed coaster brake, so I probably notice them more than an average road cyclist would.
  20. Ridge

Oddometer:
    True that they are still out there, just not spec'd as OEM on anything other than kids bikes and some heavy duty commuters like what would be seen in Denmark, SE Asia, Africa, etc... the odds of seeing a coaster brake out in the wild is far out on the edge of the statistical curve as compared to all bicycles w/ respect to geographic regions. Put my bike in Amsterdam and it would be the statistical outlier...