Bicycles on the road

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by ThatOtherGuy, Oct 12, 2011.

1. glory racing

glory racing Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Or riders who when are slowing traffic flow will not simply ease over and allow a simple pass. Bicyclist, motorcyclist, whatever. Sure they all have a right to be there but a little common courtesy wouldn't be to much to ask would it.
  2. glory racing

Oddometer:
    Slower traffic keep right.
  3. Ridge

Ridge Faster than farm equipment. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Agreed... and when done with situational awareness w/ regard to attention to its consequences; it's appreciated and I throw up a friendly wave in return. A "toot" with just a quick touch of the horn and not a "HONK"... completed WELL before the vehicle comes near the cyclist and most definitely not BESIDE the cyclist. Context, in the situation of a horn alert, makes a world of difference between being perceived as an asshole or just a cautious motorist.

When practicable... :augie

It's a joke... simmer down...
    jasiu likes this.
  4. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    Here it is in the National Road Rules that ALL traffic should keep as far as practical to the side of the road.... fast, moderate, slow, large or small. Yet many people occupy the centre of the road.
  5. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    There's rules for using the road, and they should be followed.

That said, it's interesting that to many speed supercedes those rules, defines common courtesy, and is non reciprocal.

Why isn't it also common courtesy for those exceeding the speed of traffic, or the speed limit to wait for an opportunity to pass safely and legally?

Why is it always the burden of the slower to accommodate the faster even to the point of being unsafe or disruptive?

I find it interesting that speed makes us selfish.
  6. glory racing

Oddometer:
    Unsafe or disruptive. Nothing unsafe about it.

How bout this. A line of cruisers, or bicycles, is traveling at 15 mph on a 55 mph road. I legally and safely pass them then slow to 10mph and cruise at that speed for several miles. You are suggesting that they would not be irritated, become impatient and wish for some common courtesy?
    MotoChris521 likes this.
  7. Ridge

Oddometer:
    If you're cruising at 10mph; I and every cyclist I know will pass you, just like I passed all the tractors on the local roads in the last month... every single farmer waved at me as I toodled by; none of them moved to the right though, how rude!
  8. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't understand why you would read into it that way, or the logic behind it. It makes no sense, why would somebody do that?
    Ridge likes this.
  9. glory racing

Oddometer:
    That was my point exactly...slower moving traffic is going to get passed. The actual speed being traveled does not matter.
    And yes, it was rude of them. Here slow moving tractors will move to the right when possible. Some cars and motorcyclists do as well. A few will get 'mad' when you pass them. Just proves that some people are courteous and think of others and some people do not.
  10. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's the problem with unrealistic hypothetical questions.
    If a road user gets mad because they were passed safely and legally, they have an emotional issue they need to address, and their opinion isn't worth worrying about.

By unsafe or disruptive I meant something like expecting the slower road user to move to the edge of the pavement on a narrow road with short sight distances, or pulling off the road where it would be difficult to reenter it safely.
  11. Ridge

Oddometer:
    Precisely... the only people that have passed me, then slowed, are the assholes that cannot seem to perceive relative speed. They most often approach close from behind, pass close, then immediately throw on a turn indicator or no indicator at all and slow to make a turn. Even worse; they slow, then swing the opposite direction from the direction they intend to turn... swinging left to make a right turn or vise-versa.

There was also the lady a few weeks ago that pulled out in front of me while I was in the midst of a very fast interval on a very flat/straight road with a massive tailwind... I was pedaling 30mph on that particular section and she just creeped the nose of that Blazer right out into my lane. It took every handling skill I had in the playbook to keep from eating her rear bumper or smooshing up against the back glass. Not a wave, finger, toot of the horn, nothing; oblivious.
  12. glory racing

Oddometer:
    The passes are usually not legal. Completely safe and no danger to anyone but 'technically' illegal.
  13. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe, or maybe not. I sometimes have to remind myself that just because I have the desire and opportunity to do something, it doesn't automatically make it the right thing to do.

There's some gray areas in most laws. The law may state its illegal to pass on a double yellow, but there's usually exceptions, such as going around an obstruction if and when safe. A cyclist, or vehicle with a flat tire going 10 mph on a 60 mph road can reasonably be considered an "obstruction", and can indeed be passed safely.......or not. Every situation is unique.

There's also some gray areas in road users judgment, and everyone can make mistakes. Unfortunately those with bad judgment, don't know they have bad judgment, because they have bad judgment, and may consider something to be safe because they manage to pull it off, when in reality its not.
  14. Ridge

Oddometer:
    See also; Dunning-Kruger and/or the Peter Principle.
  15. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do 5kmh on the cycle path with the kids and watch the boys in Lycra go apeshit and lose it. Share except where you are holding them up.
    bajasam likes this.
  16. glory racing

Oddometer:
    Round here, It could literally be 10 miles before there is a 'legal' area to pass. Sorry, but not gonna follow someone traveling 15mph or more below the speed limit for very long. And apparently when the shoe is on the other foot and someone is in front of bicyclists and slowing them down they want to pass as soon as possible as well. What is the big area of concern with passing a slow moving vehicle or bicycle rider?
  17. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is no concern when done responsibly, and respectfully.

The problem is the few who don't understand that.
    tlub likes this.
  18. liberpolly

liberpolly Nu, shoyn, nudnick!

Oddometer:
    It is easier to accelerate in a car by just pushing the gas, then on bicycle when pedaling heavily. So bicyclists naturally try to avoid losing momentum. It is very different from the mental impatience of a cager.
    Barry likes this.
  19. glory racing

Oddometer:
    It is always different when the shoe is on the other foot.
    bajasam likes this.
  20. Ridge

Oddometer:
    So, are you just upset because you don't have special rights and privileges afforded to you? Generally, in every country, region, province, state, etc... a slower moving vehicle, horse riders, and pedestrians are considered the more vulnerable road users and are afforded protections based on a pretty simple force equation... (F)orce = (M)ass x (A)cceleration

The larger and faster the vehicle is moving, the more damage can be wrought by it when colliding with literally any physical thing.

I mean.. common sense applies in a situation such as you described. Long before NC passed the law that motor vehicles could legally pass bicycles on a double yellow line; cars, trucks, and motorcyclists were already doing just that.

Applying situational awareness, understand speed differential while having a clear line of sight for the entire length of road it will take to make a clean pass, toot the horn far in advance, roll to the other lane without ripping the throttle open, and make a clean pass... no one is harmed, no one is upset and I don't know of a single LEO that would pull you for it. You are an adult and, I would hope, an experienced motorcyclist that understands the capabilities and limitations of your machine and skillset.