Big 5-0 Birthday Canadian Trip

Discussion in 'Americas' started by ghetto johnny, Jul 27, 2020.

1. ghetto johnny

ghetto johnny Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just throwing it out there if the Borders open next year.
    For my 50th Birthday Next year(July) I'm planing to make a Solo Ride/Trip from Ohio to the Calgary, Kananaskis Country, Banff ,Lake Louise, Alberta Rockies area then into the Golden/Revelstoke B.C. area.
    I have been to the area before and know of several good spots to camp at, scenic attractions and more.
    if anyone is interested along the way and would like to Caravan, you're more than welcome to join.
    By the way, I'll be on a R1200GSA if that even matters,
    Definitely will need your Passport and a Background to be allowed entry, ha ha
    Let me know.
    John
  2. bikerfish

bikerfish flyfishandride

Oddometer:
    Toad Rock campground on Kootenay lake is a cool place to spend a few nights and explore that area. Really can't go wrong in the canadian rockies, they are simply stunning.
    knight likes this.
  3. apexal

apexal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've done three hiking/climbing trips to the Canadian Rockies in the past. Flew into Calgary, got a rental can and did car camping and back country camping. The first thing that comes to my mind is GRIZZLY BEARS. Frightening creatures they are. I've done a lot of mountain trips in the west and the Canadian Rockies by far is the most beautiful area in all of North America. If you know the area then you probably need very little from us. I've always wanted to do a trip out there but I traded down to a F850GS, it's just not the workhorse that my 1200's used to be and may not be enough for a trip out west. Good luck with you planning and hopefully Canada is open in 2021 if not later this year.
  4. ghetto johnny

ghetto johnny Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for your response.
    I did almost the same trip except for a whitewater Kayak Festival and Climbing in Revelstoke. Flew into Calgary, rental for 2 weeks, camp at various areas. just sad i didn't get to see more.
    It was in August and we had no Bear encounters at all. i actually just traded up from a DR650 to the R1200GSA, so it'll be a big change especially on the highways.
    where did you do your climbing? i was thinking of bring at least some shoes for bouldering.
  5. ghetto johnny

ghetto johnny Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the response. I've actually heard of Toad Rock campgrounds from some Riders while I was up there. A few hours from Revelstoke but may be a side trip too.
  6. apexal

apexal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure where you would do bouldering in the Canadian Rockies. Most of the rock that I saw was crumbly stuff except for some crags on the north shore of Lake Louise. Our "climbing" was more scrambling and mountaineering. We did attempt "climbs" on Mt Assiniboine, Mt Athabasca and Edit Cavell but never summited. Tough stuff! We did summit some other peaks which were scrambles and if you needed names of the peaks I'd have to do some research.
    My three trips there were all in the first three weeks of September when the crowds subside and the weather cools off.
    On all three trips somebody was attacked by a grizzly in the same time frame that we were there. And we had a grizzly encounter while camped in Assiniboine Provincial Park. The bear came into camp one night and I swear that it was the most frightening things in my whole life. But it's not necessarily about bear encounters, it's just knowing that they are out there which is unnerving. FYI, there's a nice campground in Lake Louise that has an electric fence around it for peace of mind.
  7. knight

knight Long timer

Oddometer:
    Toad Rock is a far better destination than Revelstoke
  8. ghetto johnny

ghetto johnny Adventurer

Oddometer:
    most of my Climbing/Bouldering was done in Revelstoke B.C, we also did go to Takakkaw Falls Waterfall located in Yoho National Park.
    The rest of trip was mostly Whitewater Kayaking, Hiking and Sightseeing.