Big and Tall Equipment Reference

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by jwalters, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Liamderthal

Liamderthal Braaaaiiinnnss!!!

Oddometer:
    Now for some jackets...

Make: FirstGear
    Model: Kilimanjaro 2.0
    Available Sizes: 2XL Tall
    Custom Alterations: N
    Buyer Info: (Liamderthal) 6'6" 250lbs. 37' sleeve
    Comments: The famous(or infamous) Kili 2. Sleeve length is good. 3/4 length is nice. Jacket fits just about perfect with the liner in. A little bit loose with the liner out (especially in the upper arm area). I plan on upgrading to something that has better protection and a method to cinch the arms down.

Make: FieldSheer
    Model: High Temp Mesh Jacket
    Available Sizes: 2XL (no tall sizes)
    Comments: Great fit. Great CE armor. Sleeves are long enough and can cinch down tight to keep armor in place. Could be a bit longer in the torso, but that's to be expected with a sport cut jacket. Has enough adjustment to fit good with thick liner being either in or out.

Make: Cortech (Tour Master)
    Model: GX Air Mesh Jacket
    Available Sizes: 2XL Tall
    Comments: This jacket is huge! I swim inside of it. With the liner in it fits a little better, but still huge. With the liner out it is like a poncho with CE armor. No sleeve adjustments so the elbow armor can twist almost completely around my forearm. When I let my arms hang to my sides the cuffs almost completely engulf my hands. This jacket should fit those true behemoths out there that make guys my size look small.
  2. Daaayo

Daaayo wanderin' round n round

Oddometer:
    Anybody have any recommendations for a good sleeping bag for us long guys?
  3. KKop

KKop ...and proud of it!

Oddometer:
    Great thread! Can't believe I didn't notice it earlier!

Jacket:
    Make: Hein Gericke
    Model:
    Maxwell
    Available Sizes:
    up to XXL
    Buyer Info: 6'4", 34" inseam
    Comments: Fits my long arms and torso perfectly.

Check it out here
  4. Liamderthal

Liamderthal Braaaaiiinnnss!!!

Oddometer:
    I have a North Face Cat's Meow 20 degree bag in the long size. It's got plenty of length and foot room for me. Packs up pretty small, too. Got it on sale at the local REI store.
  5. longtallsally

longtallsally Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer:
    I've got a Marmot Trestles long. It has plenty of length even with the hood on. Zipped up it is a touch tight in the sides. I like the comfort of the bag, but I'd probably go with a Big Agnes bag in the future.
  6. Daaayo

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Liamderthal and Sally. I am lookin at the Big Agnes bags in the long. They say they fit up to 6'6"... which is me:D
  7. blackbirdzach

blackbirdzach Daily Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cool thread. I'm 6'5 and clumbsy.
  8. jwalters

jwalters Farkle Proliferator

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear others actually find this useful! :clap

As I mentioned before, if you have a suggestion try to put it in the same format as shown in the list. I know it sounds a bit anal, but it really helps me keep the list currated and up to date. Take a look at daayo, kkop and liamderthal's posts, they were perrrrfect! :deal

ps.
    I'm working up quite a XMas list based on all of your suggestions, this darn list is costing me $$$. At least I know it will fit!

9. Daaayo

Oddometer:
    I got a question for my fellow tall guys.
    Is anyone using the Cee Bailey Enhanced Protection Windshield that is 22" x 20" wide on a GS Adventure? http://www.ceebaileys.com/bmw/1200gsepws.html
    I am thinking about getting one but wonder if it wobbles around. If it really stops the buffeting. If people are happy with it. I bought a Laminar Lip that attaches to the top of the windscreen but need a little more height.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  10. jwalters

Oddometer:
    Had a Cee Bailey on my DR, but not on a GS. Worked well, but the mounting needed some reinforcement with a used set of windshield braces.

11. Hagfish

Hagfish Binge Thinker

Oddometer:
    So much for my perfect "lurk but don't post" record!

I need good riding pants. I'm 6'5", 220lbs. 34" waist, 36" inseam.

I have checked out a few of the companies referenced in this very helpful post, and it's easy to get lost in many of the online catalogs. I also find sizing (especially length) to be very vague.

Has anyone with similar measurements found the "perfect pant"? Reinforced denim pants are what I normally wear, looking for something sturdier.

Thanks in advance. Great thread.
  12. Daaayo

Oddometer:
    Welcome, Hagfish!
    I am a relatively noob also and similar in size (6'6", 230, 36 w, 37 inseam).
    I can't say enough about the Motoport Kevlar Ultra Mesh II if you are looking for protection and versatility. I just got back from a 160 mile ride and the temp ranged from 36 - 50 degrees. With the liner and a pair of jeans underneath I didn't get cold at all. They're ain't the most stylish ("Do these pants make my butt look fast?") but I'm done with "lookin' good" and more interested in safety, comfort, and having one riding outfit that does it all. So far it has been comfortable in 100 degrees to 35 degrees. :thumb
  13. Daaayo

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Mr. Walters! I think I'm gonna go ahead and get one. Don't you ride a GSA? Any issues with wind noise and buffeting?
    I talked with Ken at Cee Bailey he was very helpful and said that with the stock GSA mount it won't wobble and it is 6" taller than stock. he said that if I wanted they could even make it another inch taller but that would be max. I think 6" over will work perfect for me... You might need another inch.:D
  14. Hagfish

Hagfish Binge Thinker

Oddometer:
    Hey, thanks a lot Daaayo. I checked out the Motoport Ultra Mesh II pants and I think they will do nicely. I appreciate the ride feedback, that's the kind of info I was looking for.

Cheers

HF
  15. KKop

KKop ...and proud of it!

Oddometer:
    Make: FieldSheer
    Model: Highland II Suit
    Available Sizes: I bought size 2XL
    Buyer Info: 6'4", 34" inseam, 36" waist
    Comments: I wanted this suit, but was afraid to order it online, since Fieldsheer's sizing is so strange. Found this suit at a local dealer (WOW in Marietta, GA) for $200. 2XL fits me exactly (over my jeans and sweater) with the liner in there. Took a testride today: suit without liner, over jeans and sweater, 48F: no problem. I did take the hip armor out, it didn't sit right with me.

Regarding Fieldsheer sizing:
    WOW also had some Fieldsheer jackets on sale for $65. I tried a 3XL jacket, and could barely get it closed over my chest (I more resemble a stick than Mr Universe). I would probably need a 5XL or something to really fit me. As a reference: the leather jacket I wear in mild weather is a size 50. They really need to get their sizing straight, it so far off from other manufacturers.

This suit is available online for $249 from motorcyclecloseouts. From what I've seen so far, I would certainly recommend it. Sizing seems to be true to the sizing table on that site.
  16. budman00

budman00 n00b

Oddometer:
    For all the cold weather riders, I found a great place for heavy thermal underwear in the tall sizes. threadsbigandtall.com carries up to i think 4XT. Though all i needed was 2XT. Check them out. :D
    -R
  17. jwalters

Oddometer:
    Thanks KKop, I got your suit added. Keep them coming!

Budman, I've added a misc catagory for other big and tall websites that might be of use.
  18. Big Medieval Warrior

Big Medieval Warrior Come out to playeeaay!

Oddometer:
    I am 6' 4"

My list of tall items includes:

20" X 22" Cee Bailey (not mounted yet, just got it for Christmas)

Sleeping bag: 0 degree Marmot Lithium 900 fill goose down (long). It is a must have.

Sleeping Matt: Exped down mat 9 deluxe (longer than standard). Also a must have. I have never slept so well. Even in weather down in the teens.

My next purchase will be some J Pegs to stretch my legs on long rides. They sure are expensive!
  19. Chubber

Chubber I am the Brewmaster.

Oddometer:
    This is the first place I have ever felt short at 6'2" and 180 lbs.

Draggin Jeans makes a Tall series of jean pants and they have inseams up to 36", and my 36" inseam fits them perfectly, even in the riding crouch, so the real inseam is in the 40" range.
  20. RichardU

RichardU Let's Ride

Oddometer:
    REI has a great selection of various weights.