Big and Tall Equipment Reference

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by jwalters, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Panhandler

Panhandler Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Check out Tiez. All of their gear is now custom fit.
    If you want truly special gear, Motoport will make custom fit kevlar gear.
  2. wiseblood

wiseblood Part time Schadenfreuder Supporter

Oddometer:

God help me, I just plunked down the cash for a custom-fit Vanson two-piece. Three month lead time on it, and you have to pay up front. :augie
  3. wiseblood

Oddometer:
    Aerostitch makes great waterproof pants in a variety of sizes, or custom-fit:

I have these:

http://www.aerostich.com/jackets-pants/ad1/ad1-light-pants.html

[​IMG]

I just got the AD1s a few months ago. Before that, I had a well-worn pair of Darien Light pants. I wore those for over four years. Crash tested several times. :lol3

Waterproof-ness... well, it's an Aerostitch. They have some known issues...

[​IMG]

:lol3
  4. Reverse

Reverse Armchair Tough

Oddometer:
    Armored _and_ waterproof; the selection is pretty small.

Try the Alter Ego (http://www.motorcyclegear.com/stree...ego_20_textile_mesh_motorcycle_overpants.html).
    I personally wear Rukka (after trying many other brands), and they have tall pants for non-beer gut people. On the expensive side though.

Armored, but not waterproof, the selection is much better. I have no problems finding armored jeans or khakis in 34x36. AGV have the best fit, but Sliders pants have armor in them: http://www.compacc.com/p/Sliders-Kevlar-Motorcycle-Riding-Jeans-4-0

Hope that helps.
  5. 1bigrn

1bigrn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Im looking for a protective suit to wear under my jersey. But almost everything I try is too tight in the arms, chest and shoulders. I stand 6'3, 260 lbs, 52" chest, broad shoulders and arms and 37" waist.
    Im looking for a suit similiar to:
    http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...ar.aspx#&&Back=0-0-0,750-274-0-0-0-0-24-1-1-1
    Does anyone know who makes a XXXL version? or a large fittined XXL? I have tried on the THOR XXL and it is too small.
  6. Charleetho

Charleetho Mr. Zoom Zoom

Oddometer:
    6'4" 290lbs and a much bigger waist then yours and I use the EVO G6 in a 4xl Ballistic. The waist is very adjustable. You should look into that one.
  7. davyjones

davyjones Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Model: Belstaff Brooklands 'Mojave' Waxed Jacket 4XL
    Available Sizes: S-4XL
    Custom Alternations: Will the vendor do custom alternations? N
    Buyer info: 6'2", 240, 50 chest, 12 shoe, 36/37 sleeve
    Comments: Jacket fits like it was made for me. Best fitting jacket I own. The only down side with it is wax cotton does require some care. It should be re-waxed about once a year, more if you live in a dry place. I got the jacket from Holdens in the UK about 3 years ago. Good company. Call to be sure they have your size.
  8. jwalters

jwalters Farkle Proliferator

Oddometer:
    Thanks Davy, I'll get it updated as soon as I get my webserver back online. Keep em coming folks, this list isn't going away! :clap

9. verruckt1

verruckt1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi JW - will the server be coming back to life soon, or are you able to share the 'list'? I'm looking for some dual purpose boots and I'm hoping to get some recommendations from this list. Thanks. 6'5, 290lbs, size 14 shoes
  10. jwalters

jwalters Farkle Proliferator

Oddometer:
    I'm working on a new Wiki page that should be up in the coming weeks.

Check out Sidi boots. They have some good dual purpose boots up to size 16. I wear there size 15 boots myself.

11. verruckt1

verruckt1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks much JW. I bought a pair of Gaerne Balanced Oiled size 14 from AtomicMoto in Bend, OR today. They are slated to be dropped off by FedEx on Sat this week. Awesome service from those guys. Very impressed with my first purchase from them. Can't wait to get them. Thanks for the feedback above. :clap
  12. wiseblood

Oddometer:
    Up to size 16? Not in my experience! Do you have a link?

Alpinestars Tech 3s do come in a real size 16. I have yet to find any other maker / model boot in that size.
  13. sagedrifter

sagedrifter Southern Explorer

Oddometer:
    I just had my Sidi On Road touring boots resoled with fairly aggressive soles with heels.

I only liked them on my FJR with the almost smooth size 14 soles. I actually like the after market resole better than the original. Much harder and useful IMO. Now I find them more useful on a mild DS ride. Good enough for a Vstrom rider...

They also can resole my tech 3s with a longer wearing sole. Just another option to keep big expensive harder to find boots inuse. I used Resole America, the Sidi boots were $98 including UPS shipping both ways. So far they seem as good as new. Still water tight and comfy.
  14. BHW

BHW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just found a nice FirstGear Z-Pilot jacket in 50 Tall. Fits very well, would fit better if I could drop 15 pounds from my gut!

6-3" and about 285 right now.

*Dropped about 12 pounds so far, and the jacket is fitting better! Might be way too big when I get down to 240 or so!
  15. BHW

BHW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well about 30 pounds lighter now and the size 50 Tall Firstgear is a little loose. I'm having one hell of a time finding jackets in TALL sizes, especially leather jackets.

Everything I try one, especially as I lose weight, seems way to short on me.

Anybody know what companies DO offer leather jackets in tall sizes? All I can find are older model Firstgear jackets and Joe Rocket.
  16. gen

gen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wear a 65 cm Arai full face (rare but available in Japan). This is bigger than the XXL Arai which is 63-64 cm iirc.

I was looking for a motocross helmet in 65 cm and the best one I have found so far is the HJC CL-X6 in XXXL. They come in a bunch of graphics and a few solids and a high viz color too. I went with the High Viz.

I think the Klim F4 in XXXL is also probably around 65 cm but I haven't tried it as it was twice the cost. The Klim looks to be quite more vented however.
  17. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you are interested in top of the line for non-custom, both BMW and Aerostich make waterproof leathers in tall sizes. Don't know too much about Stich's Transit jacket, but have had the Atlantis 3pro and 4 from BMW. At 6'5" and 210 the jackets fit well, but zipped to the pants are slightly restrictive. I could use a 'double tall' or something, but at 6'3", mid 200s a 110 (46L) should fit you better than me. The 3 pro had a little looser fit in the arms and has often been available on the resale market for a very reasonable price (paid $US300 for mine 5 years ago). BMW also makes a "Sport Suit" leather jacket in the same sizes, both also in 48L or 50L.
  18. BHW

BHW Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^ Thanks.
  19. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    I should add that although "waterproof" doesn't necessarily mean it will keep you bone dry riding in prolonged heavy rain, it does mean the leather itself will not absorb water (at least for the Atlantis). It stays lighter in the rain but more importantly doesn't deteriorate from the soak/drying cycle so my experience is you can count on a decade-old suit to be nearly as protective as new regardless of care.
  20. BHW

BHW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Damn! Those BMW jackets are $1099!!!! :cry

I guess I can skip the ride to the local BMW shop!