Big and Tall Equipment Reference

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by jwalters, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah and the Transit is in the same neighborhood, hence "top of the line". If you have something that sort of works for now, the tall sizes do pop up on eBay and in the flea market on occasion...
  2. BHW

BHW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I'll keep an eye on ebay, etc. Firstgear made tall sizes in their older jackets. And I tend to prefer the styling of the older jackets. The new stuff looks way too Power Ranger for my tastes.

I'd love to find a "vintage" Hein Gericke jacket in my size. I've owned Fieldsheer, Firstgear and Teknic leather jackets over the years, and the Teknic was the only one I really didn't care for. My gripe with it was the elbow pads were HUGE and cumbersome. My Fieldsheer was really nice but didn't fit me well. My gut was a lot bigger back then too!
  3. davyjones

davyjones Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Take a look at Foxcreek leather. They make really nice jackets in all kinds of sizes. Klim is good too. I am 6'2" , 245 with 36 sleeve and 50 chest and Klim XL fits perfect.
  4. moose97

moose97 Just Some Guy

Oddometer:
    Awesome thread guys. I'm in the market for some textile 3 season overpants with armor. Wear 42 or 44 waist and 36" inseam. I'll spend some time looking back to see what guys have noted...
  5. moose97

moose97 Just Some Guy

Oddometer:
    So, question - several motorcross boots seem to come in bigger sizes (I need a 15), anyone use MX boots for commuting and leave a pair of shoes at work (I have a locker)? Do they run small (I would have to order online), hence the reason larger sizes seem available? They look as though they would offer fantastic protection...
  6. wiseblood

wiseblood Part time Schadenfreuder Supporter

Oddometer:
    I commute daily in size 16 Tech 3s. I keep shoes at work.
  7. moose97

moose97 Just Some Guy

Oddometer:
    Excellent. I've got a pair of shoes I need to return to Zappos and want to use those funds towards MX boots I guess. There appear to be quite a few options in the $100-150 range, but I'm not at all familiar with some of the MX brands. Anyone care to offer some advice? I'm leaning the Moose Racing boots for no other reason than name :lol3 , plus I like the "ATV" sole over the MX for off bike walking around. Someone want to tell me they're not worth it? Or steer me another direction in that price range?
  8. koorbloh

koorbloh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    when I had a dual sport, I occasionally commuted in my moose m1 boots, size 15, they are a true 15.

worked for me.

(but I much preferred my A* street boots for commuting)
  9. Charleetho

Charleetho Mr. Zoom Zoom

Oddometer:
  10. lucknau

lucknau Greenhorn

Oddometer:
    I just found this thread toaday, but it appears that the link to the list has been defunct for almost a year.

Just wondering if anyone's got a copy of "The List" that they can PM me or email me or something.

I'm 6'8" tall and am salivating at the notion of a whole thread devoted to clothes that might actually fit without being unnaturally low in the crotch or high in the cuff.
  11. jwalters

jwalters Farkle Proliferator

Oddometer:
    Hi guys. The server that hosted the file crashed. When I get time I'll try to recover it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
  12. Gmontag

Gmontag Adventurer

Oddometer:
  13. Vegas988

Vegas988 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone have any luck with big man mesh body armor.

6'6" 330lbs 60" chest.

I've emailed highvelocity gear as his website says they make my size but he hasn't gotten back to me just yet.
  14. Kevan Garrett

Kevan Garrett Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey JW.

Any word on recovering the list? :ear

Cheers

Kevan

15. Charleetho

Charleetho Mr. Zoom Zoom

Oddometer:
    This list sort of died. To bring it back to the top I'm posting a deal I took advantage of last week.
    First Gear Jaunt T2 at Motorcyclegear.com
    Bought the 3xl. I am 6'3" 310lbs. Very roomy. Hardly ever find a jacket I can layer under. Vent very well. Now to find some 48" waist pants that will zip to it.

Here is the link http://www.motorcyclegear.com/stree.../jaunt_t2_jacket_2013_red_or_blue_colors.html

Now that I have the red jacket, I have about 2-1/2 months to grow my Santa Claus beard.

Attached Files:

16. SVTNate

SVTNate Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Charleetho,

Would you consider that jacket to be something you could wear from 90+ temps down into the 50's?

I am tired of my A Stars jacket. I am substantially smaller than you (5'11" 260), and yet I had to purchase a 4XL jacket (Quasar is the model). The sleeves are way too long, and the venting is poor. I've put up with it for a few years now, and I want to get rid of it.

I was looking at the Transition Series 4 from Tour Master. In my experience, Tour Master makes generously cut gear for bigger guys.
  17. Charleetho

Charleetho Mr. Zoom Zoom

Oddometer:
    I rode in the mid 80's yesterday and with the vents open it was comfortable. If it was 90+ out I'd wear my ancient Joe Rocket mesh jacket. I think with the liner in it would be a great 4 season jacket. FYI, the 3xl has long sleeves. Long on me.
  18. mtb411

mtb411 n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm tall and slim (6'5"/ 190) and have found that short of finding a brand with a medium-tall option (Firstgear, Joe Rocket), Rev'It fits me well. The size Large is OK long and they are cut European large (I.e. fits like a medium)
  19. The Letter J

The Letter J Long timer

Oddometer:
    My turn.

6'5"
    215lbs
    44" chest
    38.5" sleeve (!)

My riding consists of long dualsport days with a heavy focus on the offroad side of things.

I currently have a Firstgear Kathmandu jacket in Large-Tall and it actually fits pretty well, if not a bit long in the torso. The sleeve length is perfect even though I believe it is advertised as 37". I've had this jacket for 5 or 6 years so I can be certain of some of my likes and dislikes.

I am casually on the lookout for my next jacket and I'm hoping to find something that meets the below criteria:

LOOOONG sleeves to fit my monkey arms. I don't mind if the jacket is waist length or 3/4 length, the sleeves are always the deal breaker.

I still want the outer shell to be "waterproof." I do not want to mess with liners. If the jacket includes the thermal liner great, if not, that's fine too.

I want "hand warmer" pockets.

I do not want a bazillion other pockets... I carry my cell phone, wallet, and a pair of ear plugs in my lower right front pocket... THAT'S IT! If the handwarmer pockets are waterproof/ zip shut, I'd be happy with that.

Decent ventilation. I'm a 1 jacket guy and the Kathmandu has me nearly passing out when the temp starts closing in on 90, I almost can't feel the airflow at all. I ride year round from 10-110 degrees and I know 1 jacket can't work well through that big of a swing. If I know that it will be hot for the entire ride, I just wear my offroad hard armor. I do not use heated gear, so for the few rides a year that are sub freezing I need room for 2 extra layers and will go to something in a 46" /XL chest just for this reason.

NOT 100% black. I also do not wish to look like a power ranger, I just want a color scheme that doesn't look odd when walking around off the bike.

What I want almost sounds like an enduro shell, but I still want good abrasion resistance and proper elbow/shoulder/back armor. Some of the "lower end" Klim jackets over the years (Traverse, Overland, etc.) have met the criteria EXCEPT for sleeve length. The Firstgear Kilimanjaro isn't too far off the mark.

Sub $500 (preferably more in the $300-$400 range, but I might fork out more if it ticks all the boxes.)

Anybody have suggestions?
  20. Travman

Travman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I find that the Klim xxl jackets fit me well. I had the Traverse and now a Latitude that is a couple years old. Though my sleeves, at 37", are a bit shorter than yours. I keep considering an Aerostich Darien Light as an alternative because of the custom fitting. It's above the price range you stated but may be worth it for the right fit.
    davyjones likes this.