Big and Tall Equipment Reference

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by jwalters, Nov 19, 2007.

1. HapHazard

HapHazard Waiting for Gudenov

Oddometer:
    I searched and didn't find Shift.:shog

Everything jacket-wise was no longer available.

Guess we're Shift outta luck.

I was looking at the Cortech, too. Sorry that it appears to be a third-trimester jacket!
    I'm at least a 40L, and need long enough sleeves.
  2. Tall Man

Tall Man Priest, Temple of Syrinx

Oddometer:
    They're all over the Bay.
    https://www.ebay.com/b/Shift-Motorcycle-Jackets/177104/bn_116514611
    That said, mainline sellers don't seem to carry the same stock (if any) that they did in years past. So I'd have to agree about being outta luck. Sorry, mate.
  3. HapHazard

Oddometer:
    Hmm, no mention of any tall sizes.

I found several TourMaster jackets (the Pivot textile) in medium tall for $250. I wonder about their fit - is a baby bump required?
    I'd like leather, but it's looking pretty tough to find any.

I bought a used Hein Gericke medium tall leather on Ebay about a year ago and had to return it, it was tiny!
  4. portchelanman

portchelanman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got a Firstgear Scout leather jacket for sale. Great condition, size 4xlt. Fits my 6’3” 270 lb body
  5. HapHazard

Oddometer:
    I've got a Firstgear mesh jacket in LT, and it's a bit big on me.

I'd really have to "feed up" to fill a 4xlt!:dukegirl:D
  6. Byxorna

Byxorna Professional Mome

Oddometer:
    Buyer Info: 6'3", 160lbs, 39" chest 34" waist. Ordered MT.
    Make: FirstGear Mesh Tex
    Available Sizes: S-4X, MT-2XLT
    Bizarre fit. Has very wide shoulders, but the neck hole is too small. Arms are roomy and cannot be adjusted, yet they're kind of tight at armpit and inner elbow. Extra room in gut area, but not fully American cut. Generally uncomfortable, would not recommend.

Make: Joe Rocket Pheonix 5.0
    Available Sizes: S-5X, MT-3XLT
    More of a normal fit. Shoulder armor is weird, very low. Arms are roomy and can be buttoned down to the right size. Extra room in the gut, but not fully American cut. More of a sport style than adventure style. Overall a very so-so jacket.
  7. danballa

danballa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any suggestions for a high quality mesh jacket, or Extremely well vented textile? I tend to overheat pretty easily.

I'm 6'3, 170. I seem to fit well in medium, except the sleeves tend to be comically short. The medium-tall (First Gear, full mesh, don't remember exact name) I tried was still a little short in the arms.

I guess I'm looking for a Medium-Extra tall? Or a tighter fitting large/tall.

Any brands known for extra long sleeves?

Anyone ever looked into seeing if it is possible to have sleeves lengthened, on something like a Klim Induction?

Looking for something lighter weight vs Motoport.. But it seems they are my best option
  8. Tall Man

Oddometer:
    All of the First Gear jackets that I've owned (Large/Tall) have sleeves that are about equivalent to a 36" fitted sleeve length on a dress shirt...sometimes pushing 37".
    davyjones likes this.
  9. HapHazard

Oddometer:
    My FirstGear LT sleeves are very long, too (and that's a GOOD thing!).
    Tall Man likes this.
  10. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    Aerostich will custom size anything to your specifications. My BMW Jackets have all felt pretty good for arm length in tall at 6'5" 190ish, though gauntlets do sometimes pop out if active. But that's only an issue in cold weather. If you are talking mesh, what does the sleeve length matter? I'm just concerned that a jacket zips to the pants without giving me a wedgie...
  11. Stobie

Stobie Mr. Motivated Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, avoiding the wedgie is a major factor.

@danballa , have you tried the Klim Induction? They don't list tall sizes, but the sleeves on my XL Induction are at least as long as the sleeves on my XLT Firstgear Meshtex. Plenty long in the torso, too. I just wish it had a zipper for attaching to pants.
  12. Hukamosh

Hukamosh Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tourmaster makes a medium tall mesh that should fit you. Firstgear also has orangutan armed gear.
    davyjones likes this.
  13. Tall Man

Oddometer:
    It matters right now, mate, when continued cool Spring mornings and days force me to zip the liner in my mesh jacket.

I don't like too-short sleeves on any jacket, full stop. Either a garment fits correctly, or it doesn't.
    nk14zp likes this.
  14. HapHazard

Oddometer:
    With shorter summer gloves, who wants sunburned wrists?

Too-short sleeves bug the hell out of me, in any season.
    Tall Man likes this.
  15. Valker

Valker Long timer

Oddometer:
    They won't make one to fit everybody. They told me that even with all of their offered accommodations, A Roadcrafter couldn't be adapted.
  16. danballa

danballa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tried it. Too short in the arms. It was my first choice.
  17. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    I rode for years with an old BMW Airflow jacket that was supposedly the right size (44L), but still too short in the sleeves. It was a bit annoying in normal conditions, but whenever it was too warm for my Atlantis leather jacket, I never noticed the sleeve length because everything was a bit annoying at that point. If anything I thought the extra air there was nice. Varying tolerance levels I guess. I've since upgraded to a newer model of the Airflow in the same size and the sleeves are the same length as my other jackets. Not sure if I like it a lot more just because of the updated crash protection and general 'posh' feel, or if the added sleeve length matters to me.

For warm weather gloves, the Held Airstream IIs are widely available in the US in long finger sizes, perform and feel great, and include enough gauntlet for sun and crash protection at the wrists. I've never noticed discomfort from the gauntlets compared to 'shorty' gloves I've had.
    davyjones likes this.
  18. HapHazard

Oddometer:
    Any experience with the Joe Rocket Atomic 5.0?
    https://www.joerocketdirect.com/joe-rocket-atomic5-0.html

$153 shipped, and according to their chart, at 6'4, 39.5" chest and 34" waist I'm a Medium Tall (which is what most of my regular shirts & jackets are).
    Revzilla & most other vendors don't carry the Tall sizes (the bastids!), but the Direct site is the cheapest anywhere that I found for it.
    davyjones likes this.
  19. Tall Man

Oddometer:
    Some relatives of mine are brand loyal to Joe Rocket. They love the brand's price points, but they also echo what almost everyone else says about JR: the garments are good for one crash, period.

Anyway, I've tried on a few of the Rocket jackets for fit, just for the sake of curiosity. I thought that the cut (tailoring) trended just a bit in the European direction: slim[mish], but not so much that a bit of belly couldn't be accommodated. Just my own observation.
  20. lacofdfireman

lacofdfireman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I noticed Klim doesn’t have the Tall version in most pants with a waist of 40” or larger. I contacted Klim though and they told me if you order a 40 Regular that it has a 36” inseam. I’m about to find out as I just ordered a 40 Regular in the Latitude pant.

They also said the 38 Tall which is their biggest waist pant in a Tall version has a 35” inseam. So if your a 40” waist you get an extra inch in even the standard version supposedly which is Awesome. Love my Klim Gear.
    davyjones likes this.