1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Big and Tall Equipment Reference

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by jwalters, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Travman

Travman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Apparently Klim pant sizing believes that you can be short and fat or tall and thin, but tall and fat people do not exist.
    davyjones likes this.
  2. HapHazard

HapHazard Waiting for Gudenov

Oddometer:
  3. Charleetho

Charleetho Mr. Zoom Zoom

Oddometer:
    Went jacket shopping yesterday for my 6'4" 325lb manliness. I wear 3xl in casual wear. 48x32 jeans.
    My First Gear Jaunt 2 in 3xl is shot. These jackets ran large and roomy.

Found a Klim Badlands 3xl on a clearance rack at a local dealer. $500. Was $999. So tempting. Very heavy for just a shell. A little too snug around the gut. Maybe should lose 20lbs and buy the beast.

Found a Tour Master Transition 5 in a 4xl. Little snug still.TM is backordered on the largest sizes so I ordered a 5XL from Revzilla. Got the last one. XXXXXL! Why do motorcycle jackets run 2 sizes smaller then what you buy for normal clothes? Is this the same for average size folks?

Another gripe. Why is a 5xl jacket listed at 48.5" waist but the matching 5xl pants are 44-46 waist? Shouldn't they match? And why are the manly sizes only available in black?
    Jacket will be here Monday. Ill report back.
    ejm4 and davyjones like this.
  4. Tall Man

Tall Man Smile. You're in range.

Oddometer:
    Motorcycle gear should be fairly form fitting to be safe. Baggy clothing will flap at speed, and cause armor to shift away from its proper position. Perhaps as one ascends to the upper limits of motorcycle garment sizing -- and it must be said that at 5X, the oxygen is pretty thin -- precise tailoring becomes less and less possible?

I usually wear a Large, and infrequently an XL (depending on the brand) in t-shirts, non-fitted dress shirts, and jackets (both moto- and non-moto specific). I've not noticed any consistent 2- or 1-size discrepancies when comparing riding gear to streetwear.
    davyjones likes this.
  5. Charleetho

Charleetho Mr. Zoom Zoom

Oddometer:
    The Tour Master Jacket arrived.
    Fit was great. It runs pretty long in the torso and arms. Alas, one of the flaps over the cargo pocket had a wide open seam. It was not sewn at the factory. It is already been shipped back.
    I have never been impressed by Tour Master gear. I had some boots that the armor eventually cut into my ankle. I had a first generation heated jacket that went through 3 or 4 defective controllers.

May order a Klim Latitude in a 4XL tomorrow.

6. HapHazard

Oddometer:
    One of my old Olympus gel palm gloves has developed a hole at the end of the thumb, so I went to the closest Cycle Gear store today looking for some new warm weather gloves.
    There was a post somewhere in this thread that some Bilt gloves had longer fingers.
    After a long search (assisted by a helpful employee), and trying on nearly all the gloves in the store, we found the Bilt Foster gloves in 3XL had long enough fingers for me, including the thumbs. They are perforated leather (I don't know what kind of leather, but the neighbor's dogs sniffed at them suspiciously), with some foam padding over the knuckles, but no plastic or metal armor. They aren't too wide at the palm area with a good overall fit, and they have the longer semi-gauntlet cuff that I wanted, all for the princely sum of $25.

https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/bilt-foster-leather-gloves

They were pretty comfortable and stayed cool during my 90 degree, 40 mile trip home, even before being broken in.
    Sure, they aren't Helds, but I don't think I'm "Bilt" to pay $180 for a pair of gloves for my street riding.:D
    davyjones likes this.
  7. HapHazard

Oddometer:
    Well, I ordered them July 3rd, and they were delivered today, the 10th. Quick service & shipping from Blighty (or anywhere, for that matter).

Very pleased with them. The materials look great, the quality of the assembly is flawless.
    They are branded "Turin", and are made in Pakistan.
    They have a regular cut, to the trim side. They fit similar to Lee Regular jeans of the same size (which fit me the best of the brands). The inseam is truly equal to the Lee's at 36". The 34" waist might be very slightly tighter. These are NOT overpants.

They are definitely on the heavy side, so they'll be best for cool weather.

I'm new to riding jeans, and armor.
    The hip armor fit in the pockets and align well with my hips. They have a single position with a velcro closure on the pocket.
    The knee armor pocket has 2 positions, with internal velcro to hold the armor in the upper or lower position.
    When in the upper position (which I need), the armor is a bit too long to allow the upper velcro to seat.
    I think I'll have to trim the lowest portion of the armor to allow the velcro to align - yes?

Anyway, I'm very pleased, given that these are my first exposure to riding jeans that are in my size.
    My wife thought that they looked very good, even before she knew that they were riding jeans!
    davyjones and CopyCat like this.
  8. Siorc

Siorc Tiger Shark Supporter

Oddometer:
    And in contrast, Klim jackets are sized to only fit tall people who are also fat.
  9. Siorc

Oddometer:
    I've had pretty good luck finding Bilt gloves that fit. But I would not recommend ordering online. I've found that sizing and quality varies from pair to pair.
  10. Travman

Travman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey, I resemble that remark!
    davyjones likes this.
  11. Siorc

Oddometer:
    Oops. :hide

I like Klim stuff. Met their rep at a rally, I asked about sleeve length, "Oh no problem, just try some on, you'll love it." So I tried some jackets on at the dealer. I'm usually a XL tall. They kept sizing me up until I was in a 3xl for sleeve length. Felt like I could fit my bike in the jacket with me.
    HapHazard and Jimr80gs like this.
  12. hamiamham

hamiamham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can anyone suggest a synthetic - ie polyester and not cotton or merino - base layer top that comes in XXL Tall? I found some on various camping gear type sites but i have no experience with those brands...
  13. portchelanman

portchelanman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Check out Duluth Trading
    davyjones likes this.
  14. Carphunter

Carphunter n00b rash

Oddometer:
    I buy Carhartt long underwear now. I prefer it tto cabela's stuff.i think it works very well
  15. Bill 310

Bill 310 Poser Emeritus Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mario at LD Comfort has made some custom sized ones for me
    ejm4 likes this.
  16. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Insert witty saying here....

Oddometer:
    davyjones, ejm4 and Sailorlite like this.
  17. Izzy3

Izzy3 Freak of Unnature

Oddometer:
    Get the merino wool gear, it make you happy.
    Candubrain likes this.
  18. HapHazard

Oddometer:
    My "classic" leather jacket with liner that I use for cool weather riding was getting both tight and tired looking in a few places, and I've been looking for a (hopefully) leather replacement in Medium Tall. I found a very nice Hein Gericke used jacket on Ebay for a good price, but unfortunately it was way small, and I was able to return it. I didn't really find anything else in leather that would fit me at a price i wanted to pay, so I turned to textile.

I decided on the Tourmaster Pivot, in black & hi-viz. The medium tall fits near perfectly, if a bit on the tight side. Reviews I'd read on Amazon said the same, that it ran a bit small. The neck and arms are fine for me, but don't have much extra room for someone with a large neck or arms.

[​IMG]

I took a 20 mile back road ride on a sunny 30 degree day, and with the liner in place with no other layering, it was borderline warm enough. On a colder day, or a longer/faster ride, you'd need to add a layer, but it can't be too bulky, given the sizing. Today's backroad 30 mile, 50 degree faster pace ride, it was perfectly comfortable with the liner alone. The hi-viz seemed to help me to be seen better than before, but I'm not going to count on everyone's increased attention. I've had some positive comments from some other riders already.

Amazon had the MT for the best price - $155 shipped. Other larger sizes were more $.

So far, so good. I look forward to trying out the ventilation features when warm weather returns!
    davyjones likes this.