1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Big and Tall Equipment Reference

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by jwalters, Nov 19, 2007.

1. RichardU

RichardU Let's Ride

Oddometer:
    You should check out FirstGear HT Overpants. They come in tall for both Air and normal versions. Try www.newenough.com.
  2. KKop

KKop ...and proud of it!

Oddometer:
    I tried the tall version of the HT overpants, and they fit my 34" inseam, but didn't really fit very well over my calves. (My calves are oversized from a lifetime of cycling, but not that outrageously big, about 19"). The tight calves would prevent the pant legs from riding up when sitting on the bike,very uncomfortable. FYI, YMMV.
  3. JohnBoy777

JohnBoy777 Pseudo-Adventurist

Oddometer:
    +1 FirstGear HT Overpants in Tall ... w/ a 35" inseam here.

4. Guaglione

Guaglione Untethered

Oddometer:
    Ok, So I am a US 15.

My options for MX boots are very limited. I have a pair of Oxtar TCX Pro's in a euro 49, which WAS a us 15. The company changed over to being TCX, and now their 49 is a 14. So I searched online and found a few places that still have the OLD Oxtar TCX Pro's in 15. I ordered two pairs. So, If you need big boots, try to find some of those. they saved my bacon in a bad wreck.

For street and light off road boots, try Daytona Frey. They are sold by Helimot (yes, Helimot, not Helimoto) in San Jose. link. Great people.

They run big, so a 49 is a 15. They are some of the most expensive boots around, but also some of the best boots. Truly waterproof. I have a pair of their Trans Open GTX (Goretex) with over 20K miles on the first pair of soles, and Helimot resoled them and they are going to be good for another 20K. Still waterproof too.

Come to think of it, I have a pair of Daytona Frey Big Travel boots in a 50 (US 16) up for sale in the Flea Market. here These are great great touring boots, just a little too big for me.

For big guy gear, I just recently found a company called Klim that has started making really nice off-road gear, and they make tops up to 3 or 4XL, and it is sized right. I am 6'5" and about 270 and a 2xl fits perfect. Long sleeves, the works. Klim Website They make pants up to a 42 waist tall (36" inseam)

Rev'it has also recently "americanized" their sizing and makes great gear too.

For MX armor, I found a company that makes a pressure suit up to 4xl. I got a 3xl and it's perhaps even a little loose, but I thinka 2xl would have been too small. EVS BJ22 .
  5. KKop

KKop ...and proud of it!

Oddometer:
    bump.

Can we make this one sticky?
  6. jwalters

jwalters Farkle Proliferator

Oddometer:
    I have to admit, I am humbled by the number of hits this thread has got. I am glad to see that all of our suggestions are useful to others. Maybe someone could ask the mod of this equipment forum for a sticky?

FRIENDLY REMINDER, PLEASE SUBMIT SUGGESTIONS REGARDING BIG/TALL PRODUCTS IN THE FORM OUTLINED IN THE FIRST POST.

While there have been a lot of great suggestions, the goal was not to turn this into just another big/tall thread, with a lot of random suggestions throw out. But to keep things organized, I need your help! Please submit product suggestions in the format mentioned in the FIRST POST

Or look at kkop's example.

Thanks, you bunch of tall freaks! :rofl

7. Stretch67

Stretch67 Mad Scientist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Make: TourMaster
    Model: Flex Jacket
    Available Sizes: I bought a 2XL
    Custom Alterations:Velcro on the left sleeve to hold a wristwatch on the outside of the sleeve.
    Buyer Info: 6'7", 210 lubs, 36" inseam, 36" waist, , 44" chest, 36" sleeves
    Comments:This is one great all-around waist-length jacket. It's a mesh jacket with zip-on solid panels that convert the jacket from mesh to solid textile. It also comes with an insulated liner and a windproof / waterproof liner. The shell itself is not waterproof, although it's fairly water resistant (except for the panel zippers) once treated with Camp-Dri etc silicone spray.

I'm afraid it's no longer available new, but if you run across a nice used one, give 'er a whirl.

Make: FirstGear
    Model: HT Overpants
    Available Sizes: I bought 36" Long
    Custom Alterations: None
    Comments: These have been great pants. The exterior shell is waterproof and windproof with hip and knee pads in velcro pockets, full-length zippers (with storm flap) down the outside of each leg. The insulated liner velcro's in place and is warm enough for rides in the 30's even with regular jeans underneath. I read another review here where an owner had trouble with the waterproofing. I however, have not. I regularly spray them with Camp-Dri silicone spray to keep the rain rolling off. I could use a couple more inches in the inseam, but there aren't a lot of tall-sized overpants out there.

Make: Sidi
    Model: On-Road Sympatex boots
    Available Sizes: I bought 48 (USA 14)
    Comments: These boots are wonderful! Very high quality Italian leather, 14 inches tall (from the floor, mid-calf on me), with four velcro closures on the outboard sides, like MX boots without the hardware. Absolutely waterproof, even when wading in the ocean while kayaking. Very comfortable right out of the box, but now that I've worn them for a year, they're like comfy sneakers. If these were stolen, etc I would immediately buy another pair just like them.

Make: Sierra Designs
    Model: Paul Bunyan 3D sleeping bag
    Available Sizes: 92" x 30.5" mummy-style
    Comments: A very nice packable bag that actually fits me and keeps me warm. Filled with 37 ounces of Polarguard 3D, rated to 10˚F (-12˚C). Zipper on the left side (as you're in the bag), pillow pocket on the backside of the head secures with velcro, adjustable nylon webbing loops to keep it from sliding off your Thermarest, and a small zippered pocket for your LED flashlight, kleenex, etc.
  8. KKop

KKop ...and proud of it!

Oddometer:
    Not directly motorcycle-related, but here goes:

Make:
    Fatheadz
    Model: Translucent Blue Sports
    Available Sizes: Regular and XL
    Buyer Info: Ummm... Don't really know the size of my head. I wear XL helmet size
    Comments: I could never find a pair of sunglasses that fit me right. I always looked like I was wearing the kiddie size glasses. FatHeadz sunglasses finally solved that problem with a size XL frame :freakyThey have other, less colorful designs also: FatHeadz

[​IMG]
  9. jwalters

Oddometer:
    Got it! thanks!

10. BrShootr

BrShootr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Make: RevIt
    Model: Ignition
    Available Sizes: I got a 48, european sizes are different
    Custom Alterations: Olympia insulation when really cold
    Buyer Info: 6'0", 175 lbs, 33" inseam, 33" waist
    Comments: Only jacket that truly fit me of all the ones I've tried. I know I'm not THAT tall, but being skinny in the US sucks sometimes. The fit is tight but allows for good unobstructed movement and the 2 liners fit very snugly but still comfortable. It is very cool in the Summer but still comfortable to ride in the low 40s if not using the freeway for long periods.

Still looking for decent pants....
  11. ace2002

ace2002 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How about something for us short and fat people?:puke1
  12. jwalters

Oddometer:
    As I mentioned in the #6 post, I think someone should start a short and stocky equipement reference as well. Go ahead!

13. KKop

KKop ...and proud of it!

Oddometer:
    How short are you? From what I've seen, many regular sizes are all available in fat sizes as well. For instance, AlpineStars has pants that are 38 waist/30 inseam. Is short/fat really as hard to find as tall/skinny?

I guess both groups are on the freaky fringes of apparel sizing. :D Maybe we should convince the Big&Tall stores to start carrying motorcycle gear? :lol3
  14. KKop

KKop ...and proud of it!

Oddometer:
    There have been quite a few questions about Tall guys eqpmt on the forum lately. I've made posts with links to this one in each of them.

Bumping this one to the top.

Admins: Can we make this thread sticky please? There's a lot of interest in eqpmt for tall/big guys.

Thanks.
  15. brianjonesphoto

brianjonesphoto Hacked off

Oddometer:
    I don't know about short/fat vs tall/skinny. But I know Tall and Big ain't easy to find. I'm build like and offensive lineman 6'6" 330lbs. And regular clothes are tought to find. Riding gear can be really hard to find.
  16. thetourist

thetourist Just passing thru

Oddometer:
    Here's a bump.

I just got some overpants from Motoport, and they fit. I called and gave my dimensions (large). two weeks later a package arrived. Marvey.

A bit pricey, but what isn't these days. I got suspenders to keep things up. I'm not sure about that, yet. The pants have a high waist and may have been OK without the suspenders. I like the substantial feel of the cloth.

I'm on a search for a xxxl glove.
  17. Rabbit_Fighter

Rabbit_Fighter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Make: KBC
    Model: TK-9 Helmet (no longer available)
    Available Sizes: up to XXL
    Buyer Info: Big head with a jaw like Bruce Campbell
    Comments: I am shopping for a new helmet and recently went through every XXL in the shop and was unable to find one that fit. Those that felt fine around the crown, had the chin guard right up against my lips. Last time I went through this ordeal, I had to ask somebody "does my head look f'ed up or something?"

Even though XXL helmets rarely fit, my TK-9 is actually just the XL (according to sizing charts, that is bigger than most XXL helmets from other manufacturers.)

I will probably be shopping for a new KBC (shop I was in recently didn't stock them). If anybody has had experience with the FFR modular and can compare to past KBC models, let me know. Otherwise, I'll update when I've got one.
  18. jwalters

Oddometer:
    Thanks Rabbit, I got them on the list. Hey Tourist, take heed, and use the proper format! Thanks!

19. WestRider

WestRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for getting this started!! I'll dig up the details on some of my gear...most of which doesn't really fit....:huh ....this weekend and post then. Nice to see some riders get it even if most of the vendors don't....:lol3
  20. KKop

KKop ...and proud of it!

Oddometer:
    Make: Fieldsheer
    Model: Moto Bar textile jacket
    Available Sizes: up to 5XL
    Buyer Info: 6'4"/34" inseam
    Comments:This jacket was on sale ($60), and has probably been discontinued by Fieldsheer as far as I can tell from their website.

This jacket fits me like a glove, but Fieldsheer's sizing is way off. I am tall, but also fairly slender, and I still needed to go to the biggest size (5XL) to find a jacket that fit me. Fit is fairly tight, no room for beer bellies! Normal jacket sizing for me is XL or 2XL, so Fieldsheer is at least 3 sizes off...

Jacket has zip-out liner (no sleeves), and is water-resistant. Wore it today in a sunny 60F and was fine. Sleeves fit my long arms perfectly, collar allows for a neck warmer. Ventilation zippers on front(2) and back of jacket. Inside pockets (2) in liner, one for cell phone, one larger for wallet etc. Single inside pocket in jacket itself. Wind/water blocking flap under main zipper.

Substantial hard back protector, and also hard armor on elbows and shoulders. Feels solid.

[​IMG]