Big and Tall Equipment Reference

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by jwalters, Nov 19, 2007.

1. CDL13

CDL13 Gravity, A good idea.

Oddometer:
    Hi There,
    6'0",400LB, 58" chest, 50" waist, 36" sleve, 30" inseam. I don't fit the into the normal setting on anything. I am a mouth breathing, knuckle dragging Neandertal.

Helmet- Shoei RF-1000 3XL, and an Arai Profile 2XL
    My head is kind of long and narrow. The Shoei is the best fit I have ever had.

Hat- Big Head Caps Flexfit Size 8+
    When " One size fits most ",dosen't work.:deal

Jacket- Joe Rocket Balistic 5 Size 5XL
    The jacket is a little tight in the upper arms but size and arm length are great.

Jacket- Summer- Vanson Vent Shirt 4XL
    When its hot and sticky. I won't go out without protection, and screens out the bugs.:D

Pants- Joe Rocket Balistic 5 Size 5XL Goes over jeans great.

Gloves- Icon Super Duty 2XL (summer) , Joe Rocket Balistic 2XL
    I am looking for heated gloves to extend my season.

Boots- New Balance Hiking Boots Size 10 4E

Sleeping Bag- Slumberjack 44 X 90" -20 deg

I think that about does it.:clap
  2. jwalters

jwalters Farkle Proliferator

Oddometer:
    Please see my first post if you want to contrbiute to this thread or look above at stretch's example. THanks.

3. driftwood

driftwood ...if anybody would...

Oddometer:
    AK,...unless I happen to be somewhere else.
    Make: Zamberlan
    Model: Civetta
    Available Sizes: 14 (in the US at least)
    Buyer Info: 6'6", 215 lbs. 14-15 shoe/boot with narrow to medium width
    Comments: Take this as you will but I've done probably 100x more miles on trails with my feet than the bike (Shock! Awe! Shame! :lol3) and for years the Vasque "Sundowner" was my boot. Reasons prompted me to try a few others (Scarpa and Raichle) over the years but I always looked at the Sundowners as "my boot".
    Until now.
    I have been in a pair of these Civettas for about 9 months now and I'm f*#%ing loving them. F*$@ing loving them. Because of the relative narrowness of my feet, I usually have problems with the length/width ratio and, particularly in active footware, I swim too much...and often need more length to keep my toes from being crushed on descent. The Civettas, however, hug my footsies wonderfully, even with a medium sock, and I really couldn't be happier.

:thumb

(Disclosure: I didn't know about Zamberlan until I met a guy walking from the southern tip of S.America back to England: 14+ year, 36,000 mile trek...and he's been in Zamberlans since he started over 9 years ago and swears by them. This guy, Karl Bushby (http://www.goliathexpedition.com) and I became friends when he got to Alaska and I have since been his and the expedition's assistant in N.America. Zamberlan continues to be his boot supporter. Although there is this connection, I am representing my personal experience and offer this review based solely as a (satisfied) user with big feet.)
  4. Tall_Canuck

Tall_Canuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome Thread!!!:clap
    Nice to not be the only freak around for a change.
    Could someone please sticky this thread?????????????
    I only found it by accident.

My details:
    6'5", 250lbs, size 14feet and 37 inch sleeve length riding a K100RT.

Gear experience:

Make: BMW
    Model: Freerider Jacket
    Available Sizes: Up to 66 EURO
    Buyer Info: 6'5", 37 inch sleeve length - I bought the 64 EURO
    Comments: Great jacket with nice ventilation and leather in all the skid zones. NP armour in elbows, shoulders and back. Is a bit big in the mid section but the sleeve length is worth it.

MAKE: BMW
    MODEL: All Round Boots

AVAILABLE SIZES: up to 48 EURO
    BUYER INFO: Every day shoe size 14 - I bought the boots in 48
    COMMENTS: Great every day boot. Nicely waterproof and warm (I have worn them up to plus 25 Celcius and down to -20 Celcius). Great price at A and S BMW for 169$ US.

MAKE: Olympia
    MODEL: Ranger II pants

AVAILABLE SIZES: Up to 50 I beleive
    CUSTOM ALTERATIONS: Will add some length with free material from olympia
    BUYER INFO: 38waist, 36 inseem
    COMMENTS: I ordered the BMW City pant in the biggest size, 3XL and they did not fit. I called Olympia and they helped me figure out a size. I wanted overpants to commute to work over my clothes and got the 42. They are perfect as overpants and are easy to slide on and off. They are waterproof outers and come with an insulated liner that zips out and I doubt I will ever need as they are nice and warm. Inseam is functional but I wanted it longer so I called Olympia and they sent me extra material for free for a seamstress to add on. They even make the bottom hem simple so that it can be dropped and material added on. Awesome pants!!! Only weakness is that the hip and knee armour are CE not NP. I am going to order the NP pads from BMW and replace.

MAKE: BMW
    MODEL: Summer Rain Gloves)<?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><O:p></O:p>

AVAILABLE SIZES: Up to 12 and a half
    CUSTOM ALTERATIONS: No<O:p></O:p>
    BUYER INFO: Big Monkey hands
    COMMENTS: I could not find any gloves to fit me properly so I ordered these without trying them on. They fit awesome!!! They are waterproof and have been warm down to about -10 Celcius (no heated grips). Since I ride year round up here I will be getting the BMW Prowinter for the cold months. Great gloves though and cheap through A and S BMW (89$ or so).

MAKE: Schuberth
    MODEL: C2 Flip up helmet

AVAILABLE SIZES: Up to 2XL
    BUYER INFO: Head circumference 61cm
    COMMENTS: I bought this sight unseen from Extreme Gear in the US as you cannot get Schuberth in Canada. The BMW version of this helmet in Canada is 850$!!!!! and from Extreme it was 435$. I measured my head against the scale on the Schuberth website and ordered an XL. it was a bit snug when I got it but within a week or two it felt great. Much better than my old HJC XXL which fit great when I got it but then got all sloppy as I wore it. Much better sound protection, chin protection, etc. etc.
  5. Reverse

Reverse Armchair Tough

Oddometer:
    Overpants

MAKE:
    Fieldsheer

MODEL: Booster (now renamed to Mercury on Fieldsheer's website)<o:p></o:p>
    AVAILABLE SIZES: up to XXXL<o:p></o:p>
    CUSTOM ALTERATIONS: Pockets for kneepads extended<o:p></o:p>
    BUYER INFO: 6'3"/35"<o:p></o:p>
    COMMENTS: I bought these in XL-tall, which translates to an overpant that wil go over a 36" waist with jeans, with a 36" inseam. The only problem was that the kneepads are positioned too high. I had a tailor extend the little pockets for the kneepads by about 3": now the kneepads sit where I need them. Cost: $20. [These are overpants for cooler weather, anything over 75F will make them be too warm]

Edit: I found out that the Mercury pants DO have adjustable armor!
  6. Roscoe03Adv

Roscoe03Adv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Straits of Juan de Fuca, Olympic Pennisula, WA
    Gear experience:

I'm 6' 7", 270lb, 52 chest, 39 waist, 7 7/8 hat

MAKE: Z Leathers
    MODEL: Road Boots
    AVAILABLE SIZES: up to 60 EURO
    BUYER INFO: Every day shoe size 15 - I bought the boots in 52
    COMMENTS: Custom leather shop in LA 15 minutes from Disneyland, any color/size, they take calf measurements and ankle Pricey at about $250 4 -6 weeks to ship, I had mine fitted at the shop on holiday with the family. Superb customer service
    Unbelievably comfortable, can resole easily, nice thin sole for good feel, beautifully made, fits my defensive lineman calfs perfectly- 18K miles and hardly look used.

MAKE: Gerbing
    MODEL: G2 heated Gloves

AVAILABLE SIZES: Up to 3 xl
    CUSTOM ALTERATIONS: No<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>
    BUYER INFO: Big Shrek hands
    COMMENTS: Integrates well with my other Gerbing coat and pants. Surprizing in 34* weather they are warm, not hot on high setting. Cold hands warm in a minute or two, I expected them to cook me, but the warmth is perfect for control. Expensive at about $200 US. But used them on our trip to Deadhorse, we both had them and turned up the heat on Atigan Pass as it snowed last August, no problems.

MAKE: Shoei
    MODEL: RF-1000

AVAILABLE SIZES: Up to 3XL
    BUYER INFO: Head circumference 7 7/8
    COMMENTS: I bought this at Ride West in Seattle, great service as always. Good ventilation:clap
  7. joyonroy

joyonroy Slipless in Seattle

Oddometer:
    Make: Sidi
    Model: Sport Rain, Strada Evo Air
    Available Sizes: Size 50 (US size 15)
    Custom Alterations: N
    Buyer Info: size 15
    Comments: I'm a pretty consistent size 15,bought Sidi Sport Rain size 50 based on using Sidi bicycle shoes for years, was not disappointed in quality and they have essentially same foot last!

Make: FirstGear
    Model: Kilimanjoro and HT Overpants
    Available Sizes: Size 2XLT jacket, 40Tall pants
    Buyer Info: 6 ft 4 in, 36 in sleeve, 42 in waist, 48 in chest, 36 in inseam
    Comments: well made jacket, fits me really well, sleeve and body long enough - well made and warm pants, fit very well, zip-out liner adds a ton of warmth

Make: BMW
    Model: Santiago
    Available Sizes: Size 50L
    Comments: beautifully made jacket and pants - bought without the pricey GoreTex zip-in liner - very well constructed - usefully placed vents - jacket can be a little breezy at freeway speeds, so wear an Arc'Teryx windstopper windshirt beneath the jacket, works very well

Make: Dainese
    Model: Firefly leather pants
    Available Sizes: Size 60
    Comments: beautifully made pants, though very pricey! it's DAINESE! fit was snug but not like a straitjacket, and of course it gives over time, even after an hour - the length is predictably about 1.5-2 in short than ideal, but I'm hoping this won't be an issue since I'm tucking the pants inside my boots - the pants tucked into Sidi Sport Rain and Evo Strada boots

other gear I've tried and found with good fit:
    - Racer AT MultiTop gloves 2XL - awesome waterproof medium insulation gloves, kangaroo leather is buttery soft, great knuckle armor, hard-to-find but worth the effort
    - Rev'It Monster summer leather gloves, 3XL (Rev'It calls this size XYL) - fit is pretty good, snug, comfortable, maybe a bit small in the palm, but I'm sure the leather will give - nice knuckle armor too

other gear I've tried (and failed) in search for good fit:
    - Rev'It (jacket sleeves and body length not long enough, pants not long enough, even in XYL, their size 60 equivalent)
    - FirstGear Scout IV leather jacket - 2XLT and 3XLT jackets don't fit properly, even though Kilimanjoro 2XLT fits me perfectly! (I love when manufacturers build their various lines with different fit for a same given size - and I'm sure you all love that too!)
    - gloves!
  8. jwalters

Oddometer:
    Wow didn't notice all the recent activity. I've been slacking a bit! :D Things should be up to date now. Its starting to look like a real comprehesive list. Thanks to all that contributed!
  9. Stretch67

Stretch67 Mad Scientist Supporter

Oddometer:
    I didn't see the FirstGear Kilimanjaro 4.0 jacket in the inital list, so I'll submit one...

Type of product: Jacket
    Make: FirstGear
    Model: Kilimanjaro 4.0 $299.95
    Available Sizes: Men's sizes: Small-4XL, Tall Sizes Large-2XL. Women's sizes: XS-2XL
    Custom Alternations: I don't believe so. The jackets are made in Vietnam, so off-the-rack choices only, I believe.
    Buyer info: 6'7", 200 pounds. 44" chest, 36" waist, 18" neck, 36" sleeves. I wear the XL Tall.
    Comments: Water-resistant nylon shell, with built-in waterproof, breathable Hypertex membrane. Removable fleece liner. The shell has zippered vents on each sleeve at the upper arm, each breast pocket, and a cape vent across the back. I haven't worn the jacket on ninety-several degree days yet, but the ventilation is adequate so far, as long as you're moving.

The included liner may also be used as a fleece jacket... it has a proper collar, fully zippered front, and non-zippper handwarmer pockets. The sleeves of the liner are satin-lined to ease donning and doffing over other layers.

Nice jacket. I'm glad I finally got one.

Web link: http://www.firstgear-usa.com/fgweb2.nsf/Products/200FD23F892366D2862571E8006BE12A?opendocument

10. Reverse

Reverse Armchair Tough

Oddometer:
    Type of product: One-piece Suit
    Make: Olympia
    Model: Stealth
    Available Sizes: up to XXXL, I bought XXL
    Custom Alternations: None yet, but I am going to add a few inches to the legs.
    Buyer info: 6'4", 35" inseam, 240 pounds.
    Comments: Great mesh summer suit. Arms are plenty long, legs are abt. 35" inseam, a little short (just above ankle when riding) for me. Olympia is sending some free material to me that I will have a tailor add to the legs. However, I like my pants to be long (covering ankle when riding), others may be happy with suit as-is.
    BTW: XXXL is same lenght as XXL; in other words: 35" is the max inseam.
  11. jwalters

Oddometer:
    Thanks Stretch and Reverse!

12. Tall_Canuck

Tall_Canuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Shameless bump as I can never find this thread.

Sticky please mods? :clap
  13. jwalters

Oddometer:
    Amen!! And thanks!

14. Solo Gato

Solo Gato long in the tooth Supporter

Oddometer:
    hell yeah! 6'4 - 220 lbs -great thread - Hein Gericke timbuktu jacket s-3xL good fit for tall/ long arms.
  15. jr11

jr11 Escape Artist

Oddometer:
    Yes, I agree...awesome thread.

Check this -
    6'7", 210 lbs, 44" chest, 37 inch sleeve
    Joe Rocket Alter Ego 2.0 XL Tall (no alterations needed)
    Good fit and mobility

jr
  16. Cam

Cam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got a few more for you:

Model: Mens Recon 2 Air Jacket
    Available Sizes: S-4XL (4XL Purchased)
    Custom Alterations: None
    Buyer Info: 6'3", 300 lbs, 34" inseam, 46" waist, 52" chest, 34" sleeves
    Comments: This jacket is nearly perfect. The design is excellent and quality is incredible especially for the price. The styling looks good to me and I love the fact that it comes in a gray-ish color rather than black which sucks up heat here in Atlanta. The problem I have with the jacket is the same problem I have with a lot of these kind of jackets, the torso is too short. It needs another 1-2" of material to replace my Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket.

Model: Mens Recon 2 Air Pants
    Available Sizes: 30-44 (44 Purchased)
    Comments: What a great piece of clothing. Normally I wear draggin jeans, but I was looking for something with a bit more protection and good venting. The design is excellent and quality is incredible especially for the price. The styling looks good to me as well. Zip off pant leggings and side leg zippers for easy boot access are just a good ideas on a motorcycle pant IMO. It comes in a color other than black which is hot here in Atlanta so bonus points. Very happy with this purchase.

Make: Road Gear
    Model:AirTec Mesh Jacket
    Available Sizes: 40-52 (52 Purchased)
    Comments: This is a good jacket and most will be happy with it. The styling is clean, jacket is comfortable and it features pretty much everything you need in a good mesh jacket. In the end, I found the jacket to simply be a bit short for me and really offered no real advantages over my long favorite Phoenix jacket.

Make: Montbell
    Model: SS Down Hugger #3 Sleeping Bag
    Available Sizes: R and L (L Purchased)
    Comments: This is pretty much my ultimate sleeping bag. Basically it is a sleeping bag that stretches to fit around its user. Due to its clever design, it doesn't need as much material to make it work so it packs down VERY small and is extremely light. Works for all but the very largest of us with its generous 76" shoulder girth.

Make: Hennesey
    Model: Safari Deluxe Hammock
    Available Sizes: N/A
    Comments: Calling this a hammock isn't accurate. More like a solo tent that hangs from trees. Extremely comfortable, easy setup and take down especially with the optional snake skins, packs small and handles big fellows all the way to 350lbs. I love this and take it with me whenever I go camping even if I just use it to nap in.
  17. Cam

Cam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Make: Edge Eyeware
    Model: Kazbek Sunglasses
    Available Sizes: Normal and XL (XL Purchased)
    Comments: I have a very wide head which make items like sunglasses and helmets a chore to buy so when I find something that works pretty well I get exceptionally excited. This is such a product. The glasses look good, come in a lot of options, have the safety features I consider requirements and are extremely comfy for wide heads. The best part is you can find them under $15 online. If you are looking for some good quality sunglasses for your huge cranium, give these a try.
  18. jwalters

Oddometer:
    Thanks Cam, got your recommendations added to the list.

19. jwalters

Oddometer:
    Thanks to all who have posted, your suggestions have helped me out, and I hope its helped others find gear. I'm glad to see this list is becoming a success!

Recently, there have become too many characters for a single post. Instead of breaking the list up, I've decided to post the text/html file on my webserver. It doesn't look pretty now, but when I get time, I'll add some nicer html to the page (and fix the encoding scheme), and make it look cleaner, and maybe add some new catagories. Thanks to all who have submitted suggestions!

... and lets all blame Cam for being the straw that broke the camels back... :hide

...kidding of course, keep the suggestions coming! :clap
  20. Reverse

Reverse Armchair Tough

Oddometer:
    Thanks for putting this together, jwalters! It's been very helpful for me lately.

Who do we have to blow on this board to get this stickied, anyway? It's been requested many times now...