1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Big and Tall Equipment Reference

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by jwalters, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Cam

Cam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This list screams wiki format to me.
  2. jwalters

jwalters Farkle Proliferator

Oddometer:
    Good call, I'll work on it... when I have time.

3. BeachGuy

BeachGuy Lost in paradise!

Oddometer:
    Type of product: Jacket<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Make: Tour Master
    Model: TRANSITION 2
    Available Sizes: I bought size 3XL
    Custom Alterations: N
    Buyer Info: 6'0", 30" inseam, 45" waist, 260 lbs, 30" sleeves. Suite size 50 Regular
    Comments: I ordered this Jacket from New England Motorcycle;
    http://www.motoemporium.com/tourmaster/2008/transition2.html called this company and spoke with knowledgeable person who recommend the size. They had it in stock and I ordered it. The fit was perfect. Quality was as expected, excellent. Unless I ride in cold weather the removable liner is history. <o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>
    Type of product: Boots<o:p></o:p>
    Make: TCX
    Model: AIRTECH XCR BOOT <o:p></o:p>

Available Sizes: I bought EU 45 (<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">USA</st1:country-region></st1:place> 11)
    Custom Alterations: None
    Buyer Info: US size 11 shoe, normal width
    Comments: I ordered the boots from New England Motorcycle;
    http://www.motoemporium.com/oxtar/oxtarairtech.html . These boots were as promised. Very high quality, 12 inches tall (from the floor, mid-calf on me). They have zipper and Velcro closures on the inboard sides. Very comfortable, right out of the box. Ordered this model because I will be riding is hot weather, and wanted increased breath ability of the air teck fabric.

BeachGuy<o:p></o:p>
  4. Daaayo

Daaayo wanderin' round n round

Oddometer:
    Haven't been around for awhile and just got caught up with your thread. Great job! Great info! Great to know there are a lot of other "normal" sized folks out there like me!
    6'6" - 230.
    Thanks JW! Keep up the good work! :D
  5. Cam

Cam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Make: Road Gear
    Model: CarbonMaxx Gloves
    Available Sizes: XS-XXXL (XXXL Purchased)
    Buyer Info: 6'3", 300 lbs, 34" inseam, 46" waist, 52" chest, 34" sleeves
    Comments: Finally a glove that fits around my big hand the way it is supposed to. There are so few gloves out there for big hands and slightly long fingers that are cut correctly. The area between the thumb and forefinger is a generous cut unlike many other gloves I have tried. Another bonus to the glove is that it is a "shorty" style but still has plenty of protection in the wrist area. I would call it a 3/4 glove since it is more than the typical wrist cut but less than a full length. All-in-all my new summer riding glove.

Not sure if these qualify, but figured I would add it in because sometimes knowing something doesn't work is just as important as if it will.

Make: Road Gear
    Model: XKJ Boots
    Available Sizes: Mens 9-13 (13 Purchased)
    Buyer Info: 6'3", 300lbs, 34" inseam, 46" waist, 52" chest, 34" sleeves, 13 4E Shoe
    Comments: The boot is very well made and the length is spot on in the sizing. Unfortunately if you have a wide volume foot this boot won't work for you. Also if you have just a wide foot the boot is likely to be too narrow. Otherwise looks like a good beefy touring boot that has an easy on off.

Make: Olympia
    Model: Bushwacker Jacket
    Available Sizes: Mens S-4XL (4XL Purchased)
    Buyer Info: 6'3", 300lbs, 34" inseam, 46" waist, 52" chest, 34" sleeves
    Comments: I am a big fan of the build quality of Olympia gear. Unfortunately they don't seem to work very well for long armed or long torso people. This jacket falls into that category for me. It has enough girth, but the height of this 3/4 jacket is more like a 5/8 jacket. The end of the jacket barely makes it to my hips and the elastic that is designed to go around the mid-section of your body is several inches above my belly button. Shame as the jacket seems like a quality jacket and their aren't many mesh 3/4 jackets around. Alas the search continues for a more protective replacement to the Joe Rocket Phoenix 3XL Tall. This jacket does seem to run a size small at least with the 4XL. I would consider the 4XL a 3XL in other garments so if you are on the border of sizes I would try one size up.
  6. Cam

Cam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Make: Cortech
    Model: GX Air Series 2 Jacket
    Available Sizes: Mens XS-4XL and up to 3XL tall (3XL Tall Purchased)
    Comments: I have been looking for my summer riding replacement of my Joe Rocket Phoenix for the last five years or so. I like the jacket, but really wanted something with better protection in the impact zones, fit a tall big guy and wasn't all black. Well I found it. The Cortech is just about a perfect summer jacket for the tall big man. It is a nice mesh jacket with leather in the impact areas (elbow, shoulder, back) but still is mostly mesh. The collar is super comfy and actually closes around this 21" neck of mine. Color options in the tall sizes are few but they offer a silver which is miles better than black in the sun IMO. I did find the liners too short and tight around the arms, but I never use the liners on these jackets and prefer to use a rain jacket during rain and a light windproof thinsulate when it gets cold at night. The cuffs work great and allow ample room for a long glove. Anyway, fit is good, quality job on the machine sewing and I have no reason to think this jacket won't hold up as well as the Phoenix has.
  7. joedoe

joedoe Armchair Adventurer!

Oddometer:
    Wow, I just noticed this one, and at 6'-6" I too will have to keep an eye on this one and try to help w/ some info.

From the sounds of it most of you are lucky, as you are both (big and tall)
    Try being 6'-6" and only 160 lbs.
    Pants are impossible to find. And I don't mean just for riding.

Heres my first one.

SLEEPING BAG: Asolo - Mincio, 88" x 33.5" x 24" mummy bag. 10-deg. F.
    if I remember right.
    Rolls up pretty small too.

Got it @ Joes Sports for about $100.00 but I don't think they carry them any more.
  8. Reverse

Reverse Armchair Tough

Oddometer:
    Glad you found the thread.

It would help the OP if you used the template to post your info:

Make:
    Model:
    Available Sizes:
    Custom Alterations:
    Buyer Info:
    Comments:
  9. jwalters

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone, I've been on the road lately. I'll be updating with the latest suggestions shortly! Thanks for the help!
  10. brenter

brenter Brenter

Oddometer:
    I am 6'8" and 280lbs. Glad to have found this site. It will be on my favorites list. Brenter.:clap
  11. jwalters

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear you are finding it useful!

Cam, beachguy, I got your suggestions added, thanks for the input! FYI, when I get time, am going to look into a better way of displaying the data, through a perl/cgi interface. Maybe have a simple interface to "display all" or by product category or something. Just to make a little more sense of the information. We are building a nice little database here! Thanks to everyone who has chimed in. :clap
  12. lkoncor

lkoncor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Big guy here too, 6'5" 320lbs and size 18 boot.

All my gear is older, so I'll not post it, but I am in the market for new and am very glad I found this thread.

I agree, this should be a sticky!
  13. Tall_Canuck

Tall_Canuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bump!
    Sticky please mods??? please please?? :clap
  14. MeanMoe

MeanMoe one really mean cat

Oddometer:
    Type of product: Jacket
    Make: First Gear
    Model:
    Kilimanjaro 5
    Available Sizes:
    Small thru 4XL, Talls in Large thru 4XL
    Custom Alternations: No
    Buyer info: 6'0, 275, 50 chest, 44 waist, 35 sleeve, pear shaped.
    Comments: Purchased 2XL but found inside measurement to be 60". Returned for XL which has inside measurement of 56". Vendors state that this version of the jacket was upsized. The manufacturer stated that this was done to allow heavy layering under liner. I found this to be the case.
    Two items of note:
    First: the liner is a woven nylon and does not stretch like the previous version fleece liner did. The sleeves of the liner seem narrow compared to the outerjacket. I will be using a different liner to overcome this issue.
    Second, the neck opening is oversized and does not have an adjustment tab. The XL overjacket neck opening measures 23". This will require alteration in order to keep the elements out.
  15. BigToad

BigToad The Bone Destroyer

Oddometer:
    I'm 6'5" 230lbs and use the C.B.windshield on my 06 GSA. It has virtually eliminated any buffeting that my stock screen had. Prior to this i tried the laminar lip and the TT attaching extender which didn't help as they simply weren't high enough. The C.B. shield doesnt look as good as the stock shield as it looks very big, however it sure was nice to get rid of the buffeting!

After having experimented with shields for over 30 years my best advice is to look for one just below eye level.....hope that helps!

Note - i just noticed that the cee bailey has a hair crack at one of the mounting points, extending out about 1 inch. I suspect thats my fault from the latest drop... any suggestions on how to stop this spreading?
  16. Cam

Cam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Make: Belstaff
    Model: Discovery
    Available Sizes: Mens XS-4XL (4XL Purchased)
    Comments: I wear a summer mesh jacket most of the time but early or late in the season I have been wanting a nice quality 3/4 jacket. Previously I have tried several jackets from Joe Rocket, Rev'It and Olympia none of which fit particularly well. So when I ran across this jacket at a great price, I jumped on it. Turns out to be a really nice jacket and a good fit. It is probably a bit shorter in the torso than I would like, but it isn't so short that I wouldn't use it unlike the Olympia gear. The sleeves are long actually and fit me very well so if you are big and short armed, I would avoid this jacket. Past that the build quality of the jacket is probably the best I have ever owned. My mom was a seamstress and taught me well so I know good stitching when I see it and this has it. The armor is soft, light and thin which is comfy but not sure how impact resistant it is. However, the material quality and thickness offset much of that. If I were to go down, I would probably pick this jacket out of all my jackets short of my Custom Z leather jacket which is a tank but very stiff. I do have a couple nitpicks. First it starts with a snug neck area which like many jackets for the big guy are sometimes too snug. This jacket is snug with a purpose I believe. Ultimately its purpose is to keep out the weather which it will do. It isn't so tight I can't close it, but I know it is there when it is closed. Not a big deal really. The next one could be a deal killer for some. The arms are not adjustable so you cannot snug the armor right up to you. I personally don't mind, but for safety purposes it is often preferable to get the armor right next to the body to help absorb and disperse impact force. Those aside, this is a quality jacket and I am very impressed with it. I am still interested in trying out the new Kili jacket, but for now this is my goto jacket when the weather turns foul.
  17. jwalters

Oddometer:
    MeanMoe/Cam. Added Thanks!

By the way, I almost have a new interface completed. I am ashamed how bad our list looks in plain text. :puke1
  18. Michhub

Michhub Major Medical Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey just stumbled across this thread due to jwalters signature links...:clap
    I'll add my most recent purchase. I'm always happier with Tall/Long gear.

Make: Tourmaster
    Model: Caliber Textile Overpants
    Available Sizes: XS - XXXXL(Tall M-XXXL) XL/Tall purchased
    Custom Alterations: NA
    Buyer Info: I'm 6'6" 215lb with 36" inseam, 36" waist, 37" sleeve
    Comments: Got from NewEnough.com for $134.99 free shipping. Recent trip in heavy rains went well, slight dampness around thighs....nothing uncomfortable(using insulated liner). They fit over Alpinestar's Vector boot no problem. Long side zippers make in/out very easy. Decent knee protection and padded hip zones. May not be for really warm climates...I'll let you now...<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
  19. jwalters

Oddometer:
    Added... thanks dude!

20. wes_tulsa

wes_tulsa Wanted: a vagabond life

Oddometer:
    I am a fat biker and not afraid to admit it. I'm 5'11" and 375lbs. That is a 62" chest, 56" waist, and 30" inseam for you small people. Did I mention my head is large too? I'm just big. Here is what I've found for the gravitationally challenged.

Jackets:
    Maker: Power Tripp
    Sizes: S-5XL and their large sizes are actually LARGE!!
    Type: They have textile and leather
    I own: the Black Diamond, Power Shift, Dakota, Mojave

Pants:
    Maker: Diamond Gusset
    Sizes: -60" waist
    Type: Plain, Kevlar lined.
    I own: Both types. The crotches are gussetted and very comfy for the boys.

Maker: Carhart
    Size: -60" waist
    Type: Canvas Double Front Duck Work pant
    I own: These are great because the canvas has more abrasion resistance, you can even put padding in the knees and they can be worn multiple days and they don't get "saggy" like denim.

What about rain gear? I use to use Frogg Toggs, but after 10 years they deteriorated to nothing. I ordered new ones and the jacket is plenty large and the pants are two sizes too small.