Big Bear Bash - Part 2, The Plan of Attack

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by K6OST, Dec 31, 2007.

1. espi

espi scheming adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mr. Mike rounding a bend!:clap

Attached Files:

2. espi

espi scheming adventurer

Oddometer:
    Towards the end of Sats ride...:1drink

Attached Files:

3. espi

espi scheming adventurer

Oddometer:
    waiting for the school bell to ring @ Pigmy cabin school district:evil

Attached Files:

4. espi

espi scheming adventurer

Oddometer:
    After a ruff yesterday:eek1

Attached Files:

5. espi

espi scheming adventurer

Oddometer:
    More of the group 1 splinter group that wanted more dirt riding- John led us here.:rofl

Attached Files:

6. espi

espi scheming adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just wanted to show u my Beverly Hillbillies Pig.:eek1

Attached Files:

7. espi

espi scheming adventurer

Oddometer:
    Heres my Mascot- Mr. Piggy, he keeps my tank full & the rubber on the dirt!:huh

Attached Files:

8. MrMike

MrMike No self control

Oddometer:
    That's the first S&M piggy I've ever seem:rofl . I have a Turtle named Miss Piggy, we should get them together:D .
  9. M1Jeep

M1Jeep Long timer

Oddometer:
    You rode your strom pretty darn good Steve, so you may be able to dabble a bit. Otherwise there's plenty of scenic paved roads to explore. Trail of a 100 giants is also sorta nearby.

-Rich from Long Beach

10. Moraflex

Moraflex Banned

Oddometer:
    There's riding for every type of bike in the meadows. If I can go, I'd bring the 990. I would do a chimney peak loop past Isabella up the kern to the rock pools where the girlies run nekked, then over sherwin pass? back to camp. All day long run for beasts. And a beer drinking run at that:clap Or I'd bring the XR and do some of the more fun single track. It's a hard call to make.
  11. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have seen you ride Steve, you're better than half of us. Besides, what else is left on your Strom that's not beaten up! :lol3

Jim's idea of heading out there via Lake Isabella is a scenic route. I've been on Sherman Pass and the view is spectacular 360 degrees.

I'm thinking of asking my gf to come along if some of you FFs will do the same.

Nice pics Pablo and good to see you there. You just have to ride more often!
  12. Moraflex

Moraflex Banned

Oddometer:
    This event is planned for Labor day and I may not make that weekend. Also I'm suppose to be in the old ghost town of Aurora Nevada for 1 week sometime in early September. Somanabeech, I would like to go. It's been 1.5 years since I have been up there.
  13. K6OST

K6OST Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I can try to bring a gf but my wife just isn't gonna like it!!!! :rofl
  14. M1Jeep

M1Jeep Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not intentionally hi-jacking Steve's thread but some of you FF's interested in the KM trip are talking about it here instead of the KM thread. :shog I bumped the dates (I know...again) to the weekend after Labor day...September 5-7.

See you there amigos!

-Rich

15. K6OST

K6OST Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's probably a good point Rich. Go to his thread!! :thumb

And Sept 5 works, it gives me more time to put another bike in the stable, I'm leaning towards a used DR650 after seeing how well they did up in Big Bear by yourself, Pablo, and the others that have them.

I'll be starting a thread soon for another Big Bear trip, we're looking at Oct 17-19th.
  16. M1Jeep

M1Jeep Long timer

Oddometer:
    Besides it being my father's b-day that's a good weekend for me! I'll take my pops and momma out to dinner Thursday night.

Go DR650 Steve!

-Rich

17. espi

espi scheming adventurer

Oddometer:
    DR650's rock! This was a great evolution for me & my abilities with my "pig":lol3
    I still am getting the ktm 990A for commuting & eventually off road.:clap
  18. Jblk9695

Jblk9695 AKA-Crazy Old Man

Oddometer:
    Me to, Me to, DR650 that is, they look like a lot of fun and a go almost anywhere bike:1drink
    And here's a shot of everyones favorite Mixologist:D
    [​IMG]
  19. monkeytrick

monkeytrick good ride good times

Oddometer:
    So, the plan was to ride from costa mesa on the 950, accompanied by a xr650, head to riverside to meet up with a couple of orange thumpers, ride to Silverwood and make our way to Big Bear and hopefully rondevue with the inmate bash taking place out there.

Well, we didnt quite make it to Big Bear, but we had a great time regardless. I cant remember the name of the trail that we started on, but it was really really fun. As i whipped around a corner, there was some trees casting a shadow on the trail, so i didnt notice it at first, but suddenly i was about to ride past a coiled up rattler, in striking stance. i rode past it and threw my right leg way up in the air, (must've looked funny from behind), but i really thought that thing was gonna strike at me. I wanted to stop and check it out, but the group kept going, so stayed with them.

When we hit the OHV area off the 138, there was a dune buggy that had gone of the cliff. it was about 40ft down, stuck in the bushes. the two guys who were in it, had climbed back up to the trail but seemed ok, aside from some scrapes and being shook up. once the other onlookers assured us that help was on the way, we moved on.

Next we made our way around the north side of Silverwood and on to Arrowhead for some lunch. By then, it was almost 3pm, so we hit rim of the world to 2N40 (dirt route down the mountain). then rode home.

I charged my phone and gps, but forgot to charge the camera battery, so unfortunately there are no pictures, but here is the GPS route. Glad to hear the other inmates had a great time as well.

This route i did is definately 950 friendly and can be easy or difficult, depending on how fast you go. :evil

anyway, it was good times....
    [​IMG]
  20. kj7687

kj7687 KJ - just KJ - okay :)

Oddometer:
    I wish I could have gone on this but I had a minor accident and had to deal with insurance and stuff and I still have to fix a couple of minor things on the bike...oh well, another time. I know the people that own this summer camp thing up between Angeles Oaks and Big Bear and they let me take my bike out there. There's some really great off-the-beaten-path type of riding around there, I can't wait to get back to it.