Big Bear Get Together May 18-20

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Trey650, Mar 22, 2007.

1. rickf

rickf oldfatguyMAN

Oddometer:
    I new there was a reason I let Zen camp next to me!
  2. rickf

rickf oldfatguyMAN

Oddometer:
    KLRrob raised a interesting question.
    Do we need Adventure Passes for our bikes as well as our vehicles?
    Do we get them from the Department of Redundancy Department?
    If a ranger falls in the forest when no one's around, do we get taxed?
  3. Zen Slug

Zen Slug Spineless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    They are far less strict about adventure passes these days. I wouldn't bet my life on this, but if you are in a fee use area (e.g. campground) you should be fine.

Most N.F. camp areas that I know of require either a fee or an adventure pass (not both). My understanding of the previous post was that the adventure pass (or a $5 fee, which is basically an adventure pass daily rate) was required for vehicles parked in the overflow lot only.

I've got two adventure passes, however, and I'll bring both. One can go in rickf's truck and the other is up for grabs to anybody else planning on parking a vehicle in the overflow lot. I'll just need to get them back at the end of the weekend.
  4. doubleoh7

doubleoh7 AKA Chief FallsAlot

Oddometer:

:rofl :clap
  5. rider914

rider914 Agnostic Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just checked with the BB Discovery Center...
    Since Hanna Flat is already a fee area, you do NOT need an AP on your vehicle when parked in the camp ground. This partly relates to the occupant limit on the camp sites.

I've never had an AP on any of my bikes when riding on the forest service roads or OHV routes, and never had a problem even when taking a break for awhile by a creek or whatever.

-M
  6. MrMike

MrMike No self control

Oddometer:
    Who's bringing a BBQ? I know Twowheels was going to but has changed plans so I think he's not bringing toy hauler but still may have a BBQ. Is that right? So will there be other BBQ's to throw our raw meat on (that doesn't sound quite right:lol3 )? I have no BBQ but I can pan fry stuff:puke1.
    So...? I think I will have room for a tent but I've lost track of who may or may not be with me so check with me when you get up there to see, I'm in #61. If I already said ok to anyone please let me know. If anyone see's an old motohome on Friday burning by the side of Hwy 330 with a KTM on back please stop and pick me up. Thanks.
  7. focallength

focallength Certifiable

Oddometer:
    are you leaving friday or sat? I plan on going up friday afternoon.

If anyone is riding up friday and wants to meet up PM me. I will leave around 3pm and stop by Chaparrall for any last minute items and lunch. Hopefully I can be at base camp by 5ish.

Also I have a OHV map of Big Bear, it has all of the approved OHV trails. I will bring it so anyone unfamilliar with the area can plan routes. Its is a copmplete map of Big Bear/ Lake arrowhead and some surrounding desert so its pretty detailed.

Also If I may suggest, if anyone driving would be willing to bring water. I would pay you back, I will need about 2 gallons of drinking water. Let me know thanks.

As for Potluck I just plan on hitting the grocery store for what ever is needed
  8. focallength

focallength Certifiable

Oddometer:
    you really only need a adventure pass if your a passenger vehicle and want to park at a trail head or pretty much anywhere out of town, or are camping at a non pay site. Bikes dont have to worry about it (just one more reason I love my bike)
  9. Zen Slug

Zen Slug Spineless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll stop and save the KTM at the very least:evil
  10. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    Howdy gang,
    I'll be riding up early Sat. a.m. from Pioneer Town through Burns Canyon up to Baldwin Lake, and then over to the camp. I'll have one or two others with me. Others are free to join in as I know someone was expressing an interest. I'm hoping to be riding out of Pioneer town between 0630 - 0700 Sat. morning. Should be able to hit the camp around 0900. Or does someone want to meet at the Starbucks in Big Bear around then and ride from there? After that, I'll be up for some "moderate rides" i.e. no more than 1 black diamond trail as I'll be on the Adventure not my 520. Plan on doing the potluck Saturday night and staying at a friend's house (Motor 110). Then I'll ride back down to the desert via Burns Canyon again Sunday a.m. That's the plan anyway. Now out to the garage to put in a new throttle cable and exhaust packing for the 640.
  11. Bullseye

Bullseye Mr. Bad Example Supporter

Oddometer:
    'MrMike' - I still need a tent spot for Friday night only. I'll take your spot if you still have room.

'Focallength' - I'm bringing extra firewood for anyone riding up. I'll add water to the list also.

I should arrive around 3pm Friday afternoon.
  12. Trey650

Trey650 Are We There Yet?

Oddometer:
    I'll have the camper so water shouldn't be a problem...40 gals worth.
  13. imgonnasnap

imgonnasnap Motard wrecker

Oddometer:
    Okay guys, finally got around to taking pictures of my pasty white get away sticks, as gearheart put it. also, i finally pulled off my clutch cover.. or whats left of it, mind you this happened on a graded dirt road.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. OCblue650

OCblue650 Where'd everybody go?

Oddometer:
    I will be bringing a gas grill and am more that happy to share, as far as the pot luck since I don't think anyone's interested in the dog biscuts I fiqured I make some dutch oven cobbler for desert and throw in some ice cream. Lastly, Mr Mike - whatever you like to do with your raw meat is your own business brother - don't ask, don't tell :rofl BTW: I don't think hamburger is supposed to be "gamey" :huh if your fridge gives out let me know and I'll make room in mine!

on a side note has any one hauled a trailer up there before, I am trying to decide what route to take - 18 or 330 - I have some biz to tend to in Arrowhead on the way up so I am tempted to take the 18 rather than back track but I have a feeling the 330 is the easier route?, especially pulling the trailer...?

see ya there -
  15. TwoWheelsGood

TwoWheelsGood Four Wheels Bad

Oddometer:
    I'm leaving early early Friday morning to get some riding on Friday. Anyone up for a ride on Friday? I'll be up there around 8am, 9 at the latest so wait for me :D. Driving the truck, tent camping, will have my grill, cooler, some kinda meat, Newcastle/Guiness mix in the cooler. I don't have a campsite but not sweating the space. I'll get a space when I get up there, happy to share. Up for a hard ride on Saturday. I have maps and a plan. Staying Saturday night, leaving first thing Sunday morning so I can have the day to prep the VStrom for an 8k mile road/business trip, leaving next Friday.

Would like to slut a 950 on a forest road if someone wants to swing their leg over a TE450 :D.
  16. MrMike

MrMike No self control

Oddometer:
    So if anyone is looking for Bullseye on friday night he will be in my space #61.

I got a couple of bundles of firewood at the market. Man 8 bucks a bundle for a little construction castoff. But it should add about an hour to the fire. Can't wait to get away for the weekend.
  17. TwoWheelsGood

TwoWheelsGood Four Wheels Bad

Oddometer:
    For those riding on Friday, any idea on what time you're rolling out of the campground? Just tryin' to plan my day.

Soooooo want to get out of here and ride. I'm picking up the Husky from ESP today, new front suspension :clap
  18. shoco

shoco Not So Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Leaving sometime tomorrow morning.

Planning on being at the campsite between 3 and 4pm.

Subletting from from yzflv. Site #53 if anyone wants to help me set up camp :evil

Looking forward to meeting everyone.
  19. shleppy

shleppy Shlepdawg on da smoov tip

Oddometer:
    I'm heading up late this afternoon [thursday] so I'll be there Friday morning. I'll be doing some sort of ride Friday but it will probably be mellow by your standards.. (I don't do the quadruple diamond 22% grade rock garden stuff :rofl )

All joking aside I'm more than willing ride as long as you don't mind a rider who's a bit green. I was planning on just cruising around on the south side and then goofing around a bit on the north side and into holcomb valley for some exploring on Friday (never ridden there before). No problemo if you would rather ride sans newbie and hit the challenging stuff instead.... you only have so much time to get your dirt mojo rolling when you get the weekend pass :ricky
  20. long2ride

long2ride Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I will be in BB at around 5pm Fri. Staying by the airport in a warm cabin with soft bed. Will bring firewood friday night. Should be enough so don't spend money on the small bundles. If we need more we can buy it then.

Trucking up the DR350.

Bringing Fruit Salad for Sat. PL. Also, will bring some plates and forks.

Need a bit of room on the grill for a steak.

See you all there.