1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Big Bear Ride 2009?

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Suzuki Phil, Mar 31, 2009.

1. gratis

gratis n00b II

Oddometer:
    Hello everyone,
    I had a great time seeing everybody and meeting a bunch of new friends and riding that beautiful country again. I especially enjoyed NOT riding John Bull or Gold mountain trails! Thank you Joel and everybody else who helped out. Here are a few photos...

[​IMG]
    Phaedrus ready to rumble. Actually this is Phaedrus back home safe and sound, which is good because everything is about the same only dustier.
    [​IMG]
    That's some nice country yo?
    [​IMG]
    Cathy looks pretty happy about it
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    gratis and Bagstr
    [​IMG]
    Steve, Cathy and Gary
    [​IMG]
    Bagstr
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    See you guys next time!
  2. sopascat

sopascat not much of an adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the pics, Dan, next time I'll try to remember to wipe the dirt off my face:rofl
  3. 2old2race

2old2race I wana ride

Oddometer:
    Oh yea, I was gona say you musta had a blast by the amount of dirt on your face. You know how to fix that, ride out in front :evil
  4. sopascat

sopascat not much of an adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that'll happen:rofl

Oh, & thanks for all your help loading up
  5. Luv2putt

Luv2putt RETIRED!!

Oddometer:
    That's why 2old2race and riceless are always clean!
  6. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    great pics....keep 'em coming....:clap
  7. RandyM

RandyM Less talk, More ride

Oddometer:
    It was nice to meet everyone and I had a great time. Thanks to Joel for leading the ride on Saturday and to the guys who took the dirt route home. Thanks to everyone for the fun.

I only took a picture of my bike before I left and a picture of a flower that did not turn out. I guess I have something to work on for the next time.

Here's the loaded DR350.
    [​IMG]

I'll probably come out to the LA weekend ride every now and then. Maybe do the WMRS ride this year also.
  8. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    first day outing for the 640a after 3 months in hiatus...:wings not just excited to do big bear but to try out my new suspensions courtesy of trailtricks....:D

[​IMG]

loaded and ready; left my house around 2:30 friday afternoon to make the 150 mile journey to big bear.
    [​IMG]

met rsc e on his brand new S at oro vista in sunland @ 3pm. i was glad riskie rode along, since the ride was about 5 hours loooooong...:huh
    [​IMG]
  9. NSFW

Oddometer:
    though it will take us faster if we take the freeway, roger and i were decided to take the scenic backroads...big t, angeles forest hw, mt. emma, valyermo, hw2, wrightwood, old pine canyon, cajon pass, summit view and the famous rider914's sand wash....:lol3

often times, we find the roads deserted
    [​IMG]

we gained elevation and the landscape became green
    [​IMG]

crossing the i15 at cajon pass
    [​IMG]

familiar meeting place for the FFs and alike
    [​IMG]
  10. Ben99r1

Ben99r1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Joel. Did you guys take the same way home? Ben
  11. DannyG

DannyG I have the waypoint.

Oddometer:
    yes we did..:wink:
  12. NSFW

Oddometer:
    i have done this route once, but still not very familiar. thanks to rider914 for the gpx track. anyone wants a copy...i'll email you my paypal account....:lol3

we took the short cut...the dreaded sandwash, and we survived...:pynd gee riskie, isn't that laser bright headlight illegal?

[​IMG]

once we made it to rountop in hesperia, it was 30 miles of dirt all the way to holcomb valley.

since i was leading and relying on the tiny gps screen of my 60csx, we missed the turn and ended up in bowen's ranch hot spring. a nice guy named mike gave us a direction and we backtracked until we saw coxey.
    [​IMG]

roger suggested that i have to break my 4K post and keep on taking pictures giving me a reason to post more...so i did
    [​IMG]

the lc4 and lc8 are both at home on this terrain
    [​IMG]

these guys have a big problem...they want to know how many miles to the nearest pavement even though they're not plated
    [​IMG]

fixing a flat without removing the wheel :eek1 wait a minute, can you put another tube duct taped to the swing arm and if you need it just cut off the bad one and unravel the spare....what a bright idea...:clap
    [​IMG]

the sign in the background says apple valley is 15 miles behind us
    [​IMG]

and the sign in front assured us that we're not lost....:wings
    [​IMG]
  13. NSFW

Oddometer:
    it's past 7:30 pm and we beat the setting sun
    [​IMG]

i don't see any beer on the table but these guys looked buzzed...:loaded
    [​IMG]

good job luv2 :thumb and sopas :thumb for getting the grill smoking and the fire burning....:beer plenty of drinks but no beer...:lol3 espi must had seen a vision and brought cases and cases of beer the next day.
    [​IMG]

who needs a stinking gs or 9fiddy!....:lol3 and as seen in the previous post, randy rode the 350 full of shit all the way from OC....yeah.....:clap, another genuine adv rider....:ricky
    [​IMG]

oooops! i was just joking bagster...it's ok to trailer a 950 so as not to waste the 908.....:lol3
    [​IMG]
  14. NSFW

Oddometer:
    met the san diego folks...captcham, martha, bagster and renner. this is our first meeting with bagster and renner; really glad to put faces on names.

[​IMG]

renner's ride...a pig in costume with street tires...:yikes
    [​IMG]

starchaser's low mileage 525exc before the head on...t, i get the first dib and i'll pay you whatever kelly says...:wave
    [​IMG]
  15. DannyG

DannyG I have the waypoint.

Oddometer:
    don't drink and drive when you can eat candy and fly:wink:
  16. NSFW

Oddometer:
    i was still sleeping in my tent when the ground shook and these 2 roared loudly into the camp; prickin woke up everyone including all the nocturnals....:rofl
    [​IMG]
  17. riceless

riceless Let's Ride!

Oddometer:
    :poser :poser :poser :poser :poser :poser :poser :poser :poser :poser :loco :loco :loco :loco WOW!
    Don't try this at home kids! Or anywhere else for that matter!

Part two of my RR is up here - http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9858379&postcount=19
  18. NSFW

Oddometer:
    eggroll brought with him the whole san diego male population...:D btw...luke's request for a custom license plate "ILUV2FU" was denied by the dmv....:lol3 ....come on folks, nothing obscene there...luke has a tofu factory in san diego:tb
    [​IMG]
  19. NSFW

Oddometer:
    oh shit :yikes ...when riceless showed up, all the nOObs went back into their tents.....:rofl
    [​IMG]

lots of bikes but no riders.....:rofl
    [​IMG]

and after brent left...life is normal again.....:rofl
    [​IMG]
  20. BAGSTR

BAGSTR BAGSTR

Oddometer:
    oooops! i was just joking bagster...it's ok to trailer a 950 so as not to waste the 908.....:lol3

Over the years, freeways have lost their allure. I like to save my limited energy for the dirt! Adventurer, I am not.

In addition, I had no idea the group was beer starved Friday. I had a cooler full of the stuff over in camp #6.