Big Bike 30/70 Tire Poll

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Night Falcon, Mar 9, 2020.

?

Which of These Fronts Gets Your Vote For Best 200kg ADV Bike in Slippery Conditions

1. Continental TKC 80

32.0%
  2. Pirelli MT21

12.0%
  3. Mitas E10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Mitas E09

12.0%
  5. Michelin Anakee Wild

8.0%
  6. Other - Please comment below

36.0%
  1. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Structural Failure

Oddometer:
    It's new front tire time for the Tiger.

Being spoilt for choice I've zero'd in on these ones in the poll. Mainly I'm interested in GRIP in MUDDY situations without sacrificing road worthiness too much.... of course.

I figure anything with a knob pattern will handle gravel at least as well as my current E07, plus a tire that works well in mud will probably be fine on gravel, but the reverse isn't always true...DAMHIK

My only experience with a Knobby front (on an ADV bike) is the MT21 which some people love and others hate....nothing new there. The 690 is/was :doh 30-40 kg lighter than the Tiger though, most of that extra weight being felt in the front end on the Triumph.

Cost wise the MT21 retails for $120. Most of the others are $150 - $200. but I'm not concerned about the price too much. $200 is fine so long as the tire lasts a bit....I used to get around 7-8 K out of an MT21 on my 690 before the center knobs cupped too badly and vibrated the front end annoyingly. Plus they weren't spectacular in mud.

I'm going to link this poll to the Tiger forum for obvious reasons but you guys have the Kiwi perspective knowing the places we all generally ride and in particular my own riding style (lame) so your opinions and experiences would be, err....gripping :D

Anywho....I know this is another tire thread but this important question needs resolving and besides, had all the other tire threads been any good I wouldn't have had to ask :type
  2. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Which E07 do you have, old or plus?

A couple years back I rode Dempster with a friend on E07+ and me on E07. The plus was superior on gravel and raingroves and old E07 was much better on silt/calcium chloride mud; I was able to ride when people wiped out or had to stop.

IMHO while E07 front isn't good on gravel, grooves and metal bridges, mud and pavement performance and longevity make up for it.
  3. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    Just the straight E07. I've had them for years on my bikes. Good tire but not good enough off-road in the wet for me.
  4. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    If ultimate mileage isn't issue swap front for TKC80, Anakee Wild or Sinko 804.
    Night Falcon and interactive3 like this.
  5. AloneInTheHills

AloneInTheHills Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I run a TKC80 front because I ride mostly desert and long miles kill most soft real capable mud/sand tires. Not a good mud tire (so I didn't vote for it), but decent everywhere else, limited in deep sand.

I run mitas rear (E07/E07+), but hear the mitas fronts do poorly on wet pavement so not a good option for me.

I'd add (out of self interest, since I'm thinking about swapping), Golden Tyre & MotoZ options as I've heard good things on traction and life. Also, interested in Dunlop D606 as they work well on my small bike, but not sure they'd last on the bike bike.

What's your mileage goal for the tire?
    Night Falcon likes this.
  6. interactive3

interactive3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve been very happy with the performance of the Shinko 804/805 in the mud on the Tiger 800 XCx. The pair has been surprisingly good in a variety of conditions, even on road. I think it means something to say that while I could have purchased the more glamorous TKC80 or switched to the Wilds I stayed with the Shinkos, knowing how well they worked and how predictable they were.
    Night Falcon likes this.
  7. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've used the Pirelli Scorpion Rally Dual Sport front with good success on heavy bikes (800XC, 1190R, 790R). It won't last as long as some but it tracks thru mud well for a D/S tire. Depemds on how much life you're willing to give up for that extra traction in the soft stuff.

[​IMG]
    Night Falcon and ClutchDumpinDan like this.
  8. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've used 804 front with E07 or GPS rears; both combos good compromise. 804/GPS especially good on road and ok sand hasn't tried in mud.
  9. MSE935

MSE935 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    New Dunlop Trailmax Mission tires are touted as a 50/50 but looking at the tread as compared to others in that category, I would think they're more of a 60/40 myself. Pretty close to what you're looking for. Just my 2 cents.
    I will be putting these on my 1200 TEX this spring for an upcoming big ride this summer. They are fairly new on the market so availability especially down under, may be limited for a bit. Getting favourable reviews.
    Hunia and Night Falcon like this.
  10. Oaters

Oaters Old - not bold - moto riding addict

Oddometer:
    Gidday Marty - I'm a huge fan of the TKC80 front - run them on both my F800GSA and DR650SE - I've also enjoyed a Pirelli MT21 'Rally Cross" on my DRs - wear faster than TKC80 in my experience. TKCs work for me in mud encountered in muddy sections of 'Onslow Road' and the Dunstan Trail - rode both (once on F800 in November last and once on DR in last month.
    Night Falcon likes this.
  11. Manakau.KTM

Manakau.KTM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Guilty as charged Marty, for starting a tyre thread.

I've just replaced the Motoz Rally on the 990r with a wild. The Motoz was great through Central and the Ureweras but was wearing a bit odd. I wanted to just replace it with that or adventure but nothing was available in 21inch. My next choices were TKC80 or Wild for a blocky sort of thing and only the wilds were available. No mud yet to try them on (except for North Range).
    I ran MT21s both ends on the 640 and they were excellent for the lighter weight, don't know how they would be for a porky.

As for oil...
    Night Falcon likes this.
  12. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    If I can get 7K Klm from a front that would be great....don't expect a knobby to get much more than 5K on the Tiger though :dunno

I dropped the Tiger recently coming round a corner and into a large muddy pothole off road. It shouldn't have happened. The E07 just couldn't hook up as it has no sidewall grip. It was fine on the loose rock corners even at speed, but totally defeated by 2inchs of mud :p3rry

Have looked at GT, MotoZ, Shinko's but for various reasons am not interested in them this time round. I know the ones in my poll have all been used on big bikes and wear well but have no idea how they work in slippery conditions....the main reason for putting a knobby on in the first place. Winter riding is fast approaching for us downundies and there are some cool rides coming up... I have some brokenness issues so can't afford to be dropping a 200kg bike on obstacles we are both capable of overcoming. :becca
  13. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    Looked at those, they're on par with an E07 IMO. There is no way the Trailmax is going to perform like a knobby in slippery conditions on a big ADV bike...any bike actually. A 50/50, 60/40 tire just doesn't have the teeth required, for a reviewer to 'tout' otherwise is plain wrong.
  14. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    Well it has the most votes so far :D My TKC experience is limited to a rear 150/80/18 which I found to be absolute rubbish after 1500 k's. Still had plenty of road grip but as a knobby it sucked....and that was on a relatively lightweight 690. Fronts seem to wear much better I understand.....I hear mixed reports about their mudworthyness though. Good to hear your 1st hand account Oaters :thumb
  15. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    :lobby :amazon
  16. Muzz67

Muzz67 Unadventurous

Oddometer:
  17. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking you all need to experience the awesomeness that is slidecars....
    (You can get away with real cheap, hard & second hand tyres)

MT21's worked real well on the Airheads if there is dirt & mud in the offing. 5-7k kms from them. But need to be swapped around mid life, otherwise they wear strange. And I don't push hard in the wet.

Otherwise the G/S is wearing a TK80 front.
    Night Falcon likes this.
  18. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    That is the dilemma right there mate.

There are quite a few dot rated basically MX tires that would fit the 90/90/21 front. If you were doing a specific 2-5day off road ride (like the BMW or KTM Rallies) then they are what you'd spoon on for sure. Can't see them lasting long with the required road use on a Tiger though.
  19. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    Muzz67 likes this.
  20. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    Muzz67 likes this.