Big Bike 30/70 Tire Poll

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Night Falcon, Mar 9, 2020.

?

Which of These Fronts Gets Your Vote For Best 200kg ADV Bike in Slippery Conditions

1. Continental TKC 80

32.0%
  2. Pirelli MT21

12.0%
  3. Mitas E10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Mitas E09

12.0%
  5. Michelin Anakee Wild

8.0%
  6. Other - Please comment below

36.0%
  1. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Structural Failure

Oddometer:
    Yeahbut you only use 2/3rds of your grip
    Snapshot - 6.png
    KiwiPewe likes this.
  2. Oaters

Oaters Old - not bold - moto riding addict

Oddometer:
    Okay I know - relatively - I'm a 'Nanna' rdier - just chencked my maintenance records - purchased my F800GSA new in September 2017 - fitted with a TKC80 front at my request from new - that TKC was replaced with another in July last (2019) - post the 'Brass' via all the gravel doable in the South Island winter at 25,000Km - and yes it was reader for the 'cleaners' at that stage
    dazzadm and Night Falcon like this.
  3. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    That's impressive. I've never managed that from a front or rear combined!
  4. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    @Muzz67 got a good run from the 805 rear. Best mileage from any of the blocky rear tyres. Acceptable on offroad, but no side grip. Would slip sideways because there is no stagger in the tread blocks.

2/3rd for my tread. True dat...My chicken strips are (un)impressively large. Squarer tyres work & wear better.
    Night Falcon likes this.
  5. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
  6. ztaj

ztaj jatz

Oddometer:
    Night Falcon likes this.
  7. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    Night Falcon likes this.
  8. Black Rhino

Black Rhino Closer to Dairy Queen than Steve McQueen.

Oddometer:
    If you can get the tire , try an IRC TR8 front. I loved them , off road , on road , mud , rain (riding sensibly ,nothing odd about their characteristic) , hot , I ran them through all of that on my 800 XC. In the 33,xxx miles I had my bike , I likely mounted 10 of them. They last 3,000 good miles , the last 500-1000 miles they still handled well , just not something I would trust in gnarly stuff off road. Cheap too.
    Night Falcon likes this.
  9. Black Rhino

Black Rhino Closer to Dairy Queen than Steve McQueen.

Oddometer:
    900A22F4-C792-4468-A1EF-E7F7355055C9.jpeg BBA83D7B-CAD9-4139-8D22-02B1E76D5D8D.jpeg
    Night Falcon likes this.
  10. EVLED

EVLED Bike riding nutter!

Oddometer:
    Got one on the WR. It's doing great. Not really ridden it on wet seal (and at WR road speeds it probably doesn't matter) but it dealt with everything on the DB and was sweet as in the Nth Range Road mud the other day.
    Night Falcon likes this.
  11. AloneInTheHills

AloneInTheHills Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I get 7k-8k miles on a front TKC80 riding 40% dirt. The center knobs will be pretty short after 4 or 5k, but good grip on the sides still.

My issue with them in mud is they just seem to cake up and hold onto it rather than shedding it. They're thin walled so I don't run the pressure too low. Maybe they'd shed better at lower psi.
    Night Falcon and cyclopathic like this.
  12. interactive3

interactive3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use the IRC TR8 tires on my KLX400, as a dual sport tire that performs great off-road and has reasonable manners on-road. It has relatively tall narrow lugs and a slightly flat profile across the tire.

On the Tiger I prefer the wider lugs and more rounded profile of the Shinko 804 for good performance on-road leaned over in turns, and good performance off-road in mud and sand.

In general I think most of the tires mentioned in this thread do fine in the mud - it’s rider competence and technique that really has an impact once you get a decent tire that has an open and deep enough tread pattern.
    Oaters and Night Falcon like this.
  13. Oscar

Oscar Acerbic Prick Supporter

Oddometer:
    Firstly, what works on yer DRZ400 rarely translates to a heavy bike.
    Particularly things like KTM 950/990/1190/1290 Adventures whose primary purpose is to convert expensive tyres to energy, quickly.

My favourite front tyre over the years has been the Conti TKC80, but recently I have been impressed with the new Bridgestone AX41.

As far as rear tyres are concerned, I have come to the conclusion that if you have faith in the front tyre, the rear hoop is not so much of a big deal.
    Given the propensity of these things to disappear rapidly (see above), I look for some combination of longevity and price.
    There is also the fact that most of my bikes lately require a 150/70 x 18 which reduces choice (and with the 790, a tubeless option is required).
    Over the years I wavered between the expensive performance option (TKC80) and things like Mitas and Michelins. The only one I really didn't like was a Shinko, which was quite scary on the road in the wet.
    Currently running a Bridgestone AX41, which satisfies these criteria (I think it was a hundred bucks cheaper than the TKC80) with the added bonus of being a really good tyre off road and on gravel.

I have high hopes that once I have mastered the intricacies of the traction control on my 790, this will assist with longevity.
    Cruz, Night Falcon and interactive3 like this.
  14. K1W1

K1W1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't ride 30/70. My riding these days falls towards the 10/90 end of the range.
    For my riding the Avon Trailriders are great but they are not 30/70 tyres.
    Night Falcon likes this.
  15. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    Thanks @Oscar, Reminds me of the Valentino Rossi quote "put on the best front tire you can afford and something round and black on the rear"

AX41 90/90/21 $173.00 at Boyds. They always look different in the flesh, but the block spacings look like they'd eject mud ok? The Write-Up says long lasting as well :hmmmmm Might be worth a crack...

[​IMG]
    dazzadm likes this.
  16. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not VR fanboy but have to agree with statement.

With regards to AX41 I have heard it to be inferior to TKC80.
  17. Oscar

Oddometer:
    I heard Simon Crafar say something similar. It was along the lines of as long as you have confidence in your front tyre it doesn't really matter what the back one is doing.
    He was referring the Moto2 style of riding - backing it into a corner.

I have used a shitload of TKC80's over the past 15 years, and I would say that they are slightly superior to the Bridgestone on the road but the AX41 is brilliant on gravel and way better off road.
    [​IMG]
    eri and Night Falcon like this.
  18. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    How is edge grip on it on loose surface? Mud shedding,
  19. Oscar

Oddometer:
    That ride was up to the 10 Man Hut on the 42 Traverse, so there was a bit of clay/mud and I don't recall any point where the tyres got gummed up.
    TKC80 rears do tend to get gunked up in extreme conditions, but I gave up using Conti rears years ago because of the cost, and the propensity of these to disappear rapidly when fitted to a 950.
  20. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    They don't last long on 690's either
    New...
    TKC.jpg

New TKC 80 >3k Latter
    TKC 1.jpg

For comparison the Scorpion on the left had about 4k on it.