Big Bike 30/70 Tire Poll

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Night Falcon, Mar 9, 2020.

?

Which of These Fronts Gets Your Vote For Best 200kg ADV Bike in Slippery Conditions

1. Continental TKC 80

32.0%
  2. Pirelli MT21

12.0%
  3. Mitas E10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Mitas E09

12.0%
  5. Michelin Anakee Wild

8.0%
  6. Other - Please comment below

36.0%
  1. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I never cared for rear TKC80; doesn't last enough to be worthwhile. When I had one it was paired with something like E07 or MotoZ GPS rear.

Biggest issue with front is capping and lack of edge grip in loose conditions; if AX41 front has better edge grip and doesn't get clogged I am willing to try.
  2. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Structural Failure

Oddometer:
    Skip to the end for results. Michelin Anakee Adventure (wild?) score consistently high in the 20/80 slot.

dazzadm likes this.
  3. AloneInTheHills

AloneInTheHills Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good review! My only criticism of most reviewers is they assume people run a matched set, so they don't review and score the front and rear separately. For my riding (mostly dry), rear traction usually isn't the problem. It's more which front will avoid washing out if I get sloppy. Also, throwing on a new front tire a bit more often is cheaper and easier than a new rear tire and the front usually doesn't wear out as quick. I think that makes the experiences of this community very helpful.
    Night Falcon likes this.
  4. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    After much careful observation and consideration of all comments I ordered an Anakee Wild from AFC today. See how it goes over winter and report back :deal

Many thank yous to those inmates who contributed their opinions....you dudes rock :pynd
    AloneInTheHills and interactive3 like this.
  5. Manakau.KTM

Manakau.KTM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is a cropped section of a photo of Takapari Rd the other day. Wild on the front feels more neutral on the road (in other words I don't feel anything) and no different to the motz rallyz when offroad, that was on it before. Probably an okay choice Marty.
    IMG_20200319_161043.jpg
    Night Falcon likes this.
  6. Oscar

Oscar Acerbic Prick Supporter

Oddometer:
    The first time I tried Metzlers on my 950, I was very unhappy.
    I was talking to Lyndon at Boyds about how vague the front was.
    He said it was no surprise as the steering head bearings were shot...
    Cruz, KiwiPewe and innathyzit like this.
  7. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    :imaposer
  8. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    I remember once riding a bike south down SH3 near Mokau some years ago. Suddenly developed a hinge in the frame allowing the back end to do its own thing left and right.

Stopped and had a good look round the back of the bike. Swing arm was tight. Back tyre was still inflated, back axle and nut present and correct, no obvious leaks anywhere and I was starting to WTF :scratch

Idly walking round the front of the bike I noticed a couple of tiny little steel balls on the ground under the front axle. Yep, the RHS front wheel bearing had collapsed. The brake disc that side was near glowing.
  9. Terry A

Terry A Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I reside in Perth WA at the moment.
    I have a 2016 Africa Twin First 2 fronts were TKC 80s
    Pretty good tyres , good on the road and great on dirt roads. Did a Gibb River road trip and after 8500km the front was still better than half worn (6000km of dirt)
    Next front was a Goldentyre 723 It is a big tyre and I had to lift the front guard to make it fit. It was outstanding in sand (plenty here in WA) and I feel it would work better than the TKC in slippery stuff as well.
  10. nz gravel man

nz gravel man ADVENTURE RIDER

Oddometer:
    Check out Mitas E13 front tyre.
    Night Falcon likes this.
  11. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    AFC opened up today so was able to pick up my new front. It looks the business don't it! :gdog Still a bit of life in the E07 so will run that for a bit longer.

IMG_2426.JPG
  12. EVLED

EVLED Bike riding nutter!

Oddometer:
    If it's the Dakar version then it's probably got 10k in it...
    Night Falcon likes this.
  13. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very interested to see what u think of these tyres, especially on wet Tarmac. From what I've read off road. From what I've read they handle good offroad and on dry tar.
    Also how noisy they are. I currently have motoz adv front and Mitas E09 rear an they noisy , but don't notice with ear plugs :-)
  14. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    MT21's I used on the 690 got a bit noisy after about 5K when the centre knobs started showing uneven wear. I expect these to be a little better as they're supposed to be for heavier ADV bikes. The noise wasn't bad...vibes were worse.

They must be a popular tire, the suppliers had run out of them, I only got this one cos the rep had it in his ute.
  15. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    News to Hand........

Have just heard from Dold Industries who import Mitas tyres that the Standard E07 in 150 sizes (17 & 18') will be available in a couple of months when the new shipment arrives.

They can keep the + version .... although I've had to buy another one it will likely be half worn out by then!
  16. bigboynasty

bigboynasty Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anakee Wilds all day long, great in boggy condition, very predictable slides on gravel, fantastic on seal ( I’ve ridden around the outside of sports bikes on the Raglan Rd.). Work well on wet seal as well. The amazing thing to me is they still work when bald. The photo was taken after riding through a paper road east of Taihape. Part way in it turned to a wet bog. Axel deep, lots of RPM and spin that tyre to make it work to get momentum.

Attached Files:

17. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    Dold's sent me another Email today.

Standard 150 E07 rears are 10 weeks away. Covid is playing hard ball with global deliveries it seems.
  18. EVLED

EVLED Bike riding nutter!

Oddometer:
    I've got my name on a set of Dakars coming in on the next shipment.
  19. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a brand new E07 Dakar in150-17 laying somewhere in garage.. got on blowout when they were switching to that POS E07+. Don't even have a bike to put it on anymore..
  20. aGremlin

aGremlin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone in logistics will tell you it's completely screwed. Capacity is tight and we're in peak season, ships are going China-US direct. Air capacity is of course well down. I know some suppliers are chartering their own planes, others have looked at it, but stuff like door width and having to hand load nixed the idea (that's how far they went down that track).

It's actually the constraining factor for many customers now. They could sell more, demand is there, but can't get the stock...
    Night Falcon likes this.