BIG BIKE FUN - 3 KTMs Roll Central Colorado

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by TLtrials, Aug 23, 2013.

1. TLtrials

TLtrials Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am going to get this one started, I need my partners in crime to jump in with photos and commentary.

Earlier in the Spring, Ben (benwracin007) and I get in an email exchange with our friend Wade (Lambchop), who now lives in Arizona. We decide that it would be great to meet up in Colorado this summer and ride KTM Adventures. We discussed riding mostly dirt for the few days we are there, so it was a plan.

Benwracin007 is on his new 2013 990 Adv Baja, Wade has a 2012 990 Adv R, and I am still on my trusty 06 950 Adventure.

I dropped the Scorpions that I ride on the street/dirt roads and thought I would try a set of Conti TKCs. They actually worked pretty good in the rocks. I tried a set of Mefos a couple of years ago, but I hated them on the pavement (don't flame me!, just my preference). I debated making some jetting changes, but I ran out of time and wished I would have. I have the factory pro jet kit, and I should have dropped the pilot jets and turned the fuel screw in a little, but I just dealt with it. The FI Husabergs I have been riding the past few years have spoiled me....

Benwracin007 and I will lave North Carolina on Saturday, arrive in Denver at my sister's house on Sunday, and meet Wade in Taylor Park on Monday.

Wade is riding the CO Back Country Discovery route from the 4 corners up to Taylor to meet us. He also has family from Missouri that are riding off road bikes and quads at Taylor Park at the same time we are there.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, we hauled the bikes from NC to CO.... I have ridden it before, and we needed to maximize our time and not burn up our knobbies on the pavement.

The way out:
    [​IMG]

A quick stop at St Louis:
    [​IMG]

Obligatory sign photo:
    [​IMG]

Monday - Day 1 on the bikes:

We leave my sister's house south of Denver, ride up Deer Creek Road to Conifer, CO. We pick up 285, eat some breakfast in Bailey, CO. Then we hit our first dirt pass on the west side of FairPlay.

We ride over Weston Pass and down to Buena Vista, CO. Weston is a good easy big bike pass to get us started. Also, like everything in CO there is not a bad view anywhere.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Weston Pass Helmet Cam:
    <iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/72867571" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

We stopped in Buena Vista for gas, ran up with a guy from north Seattle. He had just done an iron butt ride on a Honda NX700 to get to CO. He was headed south on the pavement and we went west over Cottonwood Pass to Taylor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We get to Taylor Park and settled in our central hub for the next few days:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We decide to head to Crested Butte for dinner, the scenic route! Taylor River Road to Italian Creek Road, top of American Flag Mountain, down the west side of Italian Creek road, Cement Creek Road down to the pavement.

It didn't take long, the 990 Adventure R has hit the ground. A rock rolled under the front, only pride was hurt and a few battle scars.

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/72243052" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

Of course now, it decides to rain. Rocks and mud are a little slick, but not bad. These monsters hook up, you just keep them pointed in the general direction you want to go.

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/72243053" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

We stop for a break close to the base of American Flag Mtn. after the small storm had passed.
    [​IMG]

While hanging out there, we hear more twin cylinder engines coming up the trail. It ended up being the guys and gal from Oso Loco Taco Tour 2013 - Radek (rburkat), Matt and Kelly (BigWan and LittleWan). We all rode up American Flag, took some photos, shared some stories, and gained some friends.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/72278908" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

After we got off the mountain, we arrived downtown Crested Butte. We ran into a guy that Wade knew, who works for Klim, he recommended the Secret Stash for dinner. It was great food, and a nice evening after the earlier storm passed. We rode back to Taylor for the night.

More to come....
  2. RTODAHL01

RTODAHL01 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome!:clap
    Right now I ride an Husky449 but, intend on adding a 990 to the stable around Jan Or Feb.
    This is the exact type riding I look forward to doing.
    The Husky is nothing but fun. never had a problem. only issue is that there are times when I have to do oil change every day.:huh
    Post more as you get it.
    I am working 1000 mi. from home saving for the new bike living vicariously through video and write ups such as yours.
  3. TLtrials

Oddometer:
    Thanks RTODAHL01, I have a 'Berg 570 and it is great, but the 9X0's can impress with their off road prowess, especially for a 450-500lb bike.

Time for the next episode.... Riding Day 2.

We got up early, beautiful Sunny Colorado Morning. Grabbed breakfast at the Golden Nugget at Taylor Park, and met up with Wade's Uncle (Rick) and a family friend (Logan). They are riding a KTM 450 and one of the new Honda CRF 250 Dual sport, respectively. Sooo, looks like mostly an off road day today!!!
    We hit the trail out of Taylor park to Union Station, passed a few UTVs and Quads, and worked our way around to TinCup Cemetery.

The quad trails/roads around the flat/bottom land in Taylor were super smooth, just seem to have lots of people around.

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/72616624" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

Tincup Cemetery, there are separate hills for the various religions of the people that are buried here, i.e. Catholic Hill, Protestant Hill, Jewish Hill, etc.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Leaving there we headed past the cemetery straight up the mountain to Napoleon Pass. This one was a test for us on the big bikes. Lots of rocks, roots, and black mud.

About the time we got to the pass, I noticed that we had ridden all of 16 miles since leaving the cabin, and about 3.5 hours had elapsed. All Klim vents were open, and we were still sweating like we had ran those 16 miles.

I got stuck twice, Uncle Rick saved the day (Thanks!!!!!). I got off line in some loose soil/rocks and couldn't get took off without a push.

Then one nasty black mud/water fall root section was tough on the 9X0. Wade fell on it, Rick and I pushed him up it. Ben hit it and went right up, but he is the king of smooth throttle control, I tell him he has the AMA "A" card for a reason!:D Of course I hit it and get stuck too. After a tiresome push effort, I was ready to turn back hit the dirt road and meet the guys at Alpine Tunnel. Thankfully Rick talked me into trying it again, this time with some sticks strategically placed to ramp up the section. I almost made it, but we were close enough that a good shove from myself and Rick it popped right over. I was able to make it to the top of the tree line without stopping. Unfortunately I had to ride by Wade where the 990 was on it's side again, good thing we had Rick and Logan on the small bikes, there were great support and help in the tough sections.

At the top I was super bummed when I realized my helmet cam was not on!!!! I had cut it off when I got off to help Wade at the base and forgot to start it up again. I did get some good footage prior to what we dubbed as "Hell Hill"

Old Gold Mine along Napoleon Pass Road:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Napoleon Pass Photos:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I found my first two issues after Napoleon Pass. My GPS quit working, I think my wiring came loose, and I broke the right side LED light mount on my crash bar. Pretty fortunate that that was the only damage from that trail!
    [​IMG]

Helmet Cam from Napoleon Pass:

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/72317296" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/72317297" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/72317298" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is were I got off line and got stuck in the loose rocks:

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/72317299" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/72319004" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is the last section I got filmed before Hell Hill. Lots of pine roots and wet black dirt.

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/72319665" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

The last part of Napoleon Pass.
    <iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/72319002" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

We dropped down from Napoleon to Cumberland Pass road, then turned up Alpine Tunnel road. Very scenic easy ride to the top.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Alpine Tunnel Road:
    <iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/72616626" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

From Alpine Tunnel we went up Hancock Pass. What a great pass on the 9X0's, great flowing and lots of fun. Although it was time for a passing afternoon storm.....
    [​IMG]

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/72278907" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/72314386" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

We stopped in the cool old ghost town of St Elmo for a drink and snack. Tons of people there feeding the chipmunks and enjoying the day.
    Parked right across the street, is the Oso Loco Taco Tour again! They had done a route up from Gunnison and were headed across Hancock where we had just come from. We talked to those guys and gal for a while, then we all had to move along as the sky is pretty grey.

Main Street St Elmo
    [​IMG]

We kind of took over this porch, but no one had the cabin rented.
    [​IMG]

After St Elmo we headed across Tincup Pass. Pretty much a hare scramble pace up the mountain. We were ripping on the big wide road, my helmet cam battery had died coming down Hancock, so no footage of Tincup pass.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Almost back to the town of Tincup, we passed by Mirror Lake:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We passed through Tincup, then hit the dirt roads back to Taylor Park. Tired, but SMILING!!!!
  4. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Good fun! :thumb
  5. rhollamby

rhollamby Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Killler report so far. Looks like your enjoying Colorado. One issue with living here is that there are to many areas in the 'backyard' to get to. We haven't made it to Taylor park yet but hoping in 2 weeks to run out there. Vids are nice to get a feel for the tough/easy passes.

Thanks!
  6. LittleWan

LittleWan You can do it!

Oddometer:
    Hi Brian!

I'm so glad you decided to do a RR!
    ADV always needs more big bike dirt reports...
    Love seeing those 9x0s, out doing what they do best!

It was great meeting you, and Wade (Lambchop! :D), and Ben.

I have a photo of Radek, taking a photo of you guys. This must be the one?
    It's a really nice pic of you 3! :d
    Can I steal it later?

Was that Mark? We ran into Mark and Rose from Klim a couple of times.

Looking forward to reading more....

:lurk
  7. TLtrials

Oddometer:
    Thanks Cannonshot and Rhollamby, it was a great trip!

Hey LittleWan, great report you are working on too!
    Swipe away on the photo, let me know if you need the file.

I think the Klim guy's name may have been Mark. He and his wife were together, he worked in the marketing department and was working that week down around Oray maybe? Wade knew him from their Tucker Rocky days. Seemed like a nice fellow, of course was funny and cut on Wade.

Speaking of that, I am waiting on the banter to start with Lambchop and Benwracin007???????? :ear These two are typically quick witted and never at a loss for words! :lol3
  8. TLtrials

Oddometer:
    Well, I will say there were three melancholy guys sitting in Taylor Park on Wednesday morning.

When we arrived back at Taylor on Tuesday evening, it had started raining, pretty much rained all night, and was raining when we got up Wednesday morning. It was also around 45 degrees F.

Also, something had happened to the cell phone tower for the area and no one had service Tuesday evening or Wednesday morning. So no call home, I needed to get that resolved before we trekked too far out on Wedensday.

After breakfast at the 'Nugget, we loaded up and hit the road to Crested Butte. We got there and it was still raining and a balmy 47 degrees. We filled up with gas, hit the coffee shop next to the store for a warm drink and some internet time to see how the weather was moving. Yep, it was a dreary day, for me to darken a coffee shop door, it is not good to be outside. Luckily they did have hot chocolate!

View from the coffee shop window.
    [​IMG]

The radar looked clearer to the south, so I threw out an idea of the forest roads leaving out of Almont, Gunnison, and the Fossil Ridge area. In 2011 I rode across fossil ridge trial on my Husaberg and it was epic, but a little more than we needed to get the 9X0s into, especially with wet conditions. I remembered some decent two track and gravel roads in the area, that may salvage the wet rainy day.

We got to Almont and the rain had almost quit. We hit the FR behind Three Rivers Resort (where I stayed the last time I was here- we fished 3 days and rode off road three days). Everything was good, things were looking up! The road bed across the ridge of hills was rocky so no traction issues.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After we passed the trail turn off for Fossil Ridge, we continued on toward Gunnison. Nice looking landscape, but the road was more dirt/clay and it was getting slick and sticky!

[​IMG]

Shortly after taking the above photo, the road got nasty with thick wet clay. The next thing I know, my front wheel locked up from the mud. Of course my 06 950 has the older style low fender that is really close to the tire, along with the brake line that crosses over the fender. I ended up taking the fender off, un-bolting the right side caliper, sliding a wrench on the caliper, holding it in place with zip ties and duct tape, and zip tying the caliper to my crash bar. It worked well, got me out of the pickle, but did sling some mud when I got going!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After lunch in downtown Gunnison, the sun was shining, I put my fender and brake on, and we are ready to hit the road.

We went out Highway 50 and turned up toward Pitkin, and went up Gold Creek Canyon road, which is where the Fossil Ridge trial comes out. There are a few neat forest roads in this area, with some old gold mines and ghost towns. Since it was so wet, we decided this was a good day to stay on the FR and dirt roads.

Campbell Town photo:
    [​IMG]

Some helmet cam footage of the Gold Creek FRs:

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/72861333" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/72861331" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/72861332" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

We came out in Pitkin, rode through there. Then over Cumberland Pass back to Taylor Park. Cumberland is a super easy pass, with great views, just watch for UTV/Quads. To quote friend on a past trip to CO "There is a post card picture around every turn in this state!"

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/72865708" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/72867573" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

After we got back to the cabin, it was a nice sunset evening, cell phone service was restored to call home, we cooked hot dogs over an open fire, shot the bull for a few hours, life is good. We discussed the landscape is vastly different just 30 to 50 miles down the road, a more rugged southwest feel vs. the alpine forest that we had been in the day before.

The day started out kind of rough, we didn't do exactly what we wanted, but still had a great time. To quote Wade, "A week with your helmet on, really does someone good!"
  9. TLtrials

Oddometer:
    On Thursday morning we woke up to no rain, a little fog over the Taylor Reservoir, but the sun was burning it off pretty quick. We sized up the Golden Nugget, and decided against it for breakfast, no offense we were just wanting something else. We headed off to Crested Butte.

There is not much in the way of fast food, but we stopped in the Gas Cafe, great little place with a cool dude running the joint. Lots of stickers and photos, great little grill for a breakfast sandwich.

We left out headed along the East River across Schofield Pass.

The ride through Crested Butte ski town:

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/72867572" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

Then on through the dirt road to Gothic. This was one of the most scenic areas we rode through. The wild flowers were in full bloom, it was super nice.

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/73185748" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/73185751" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/72912321" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

We crossed over Schofield Pass, talked to some mountain bikers from Durango, snapped a photo.
    [​IMG]

Then we made our way down the gorge. This was a pretty hairy road on the 9X0s. The loose rocks were tough to keep from sliding around pretty good and there were enough larger rock outcroppings to make it interesting, along with the cliff down to the creek. There were a couple of spots that I got off and bull dog'ed down the hill, just to play it safe.

On a big dual sport, it is better to ride this one east to west, there is about a 1.5 mile section that would be tough coming up on a large bike. A regular off road bike would be fine either direction.

It was worth the tough ride, an awesome place to go through.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/72912319" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/72912320" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/72932807" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

We... well..... or Wade had a bit of bad luck about 6 miles from Marble. He was waiting on Ben and I at the base of the tough section, and decided to take a bike photo. As he turned around the take the photo, the bike crashed to ground, sheering the clutch lever and hinge off the master cylinder.... crap!

It was a pretty nice area to break down though:
    [​IMG]

We worked on a temporary repair, and it worked for a little while. Then he had to ride with no clutch, good thing he is like Ben with the AMA "A" card too! :D

[​IMG]

After the tough section of Shofield, it turned into a pretty populated jeep road on to Marble, CO with a lot of jeeps, UTVs and Quads. The jeeps and traffic were tough on Wade with no clutch. He blasted by some folks pretty aggressively, but didn't have a choice. We thanked them when we went through.

Ben and I did stop for a photo... Sorry Wade...
    [​IMG]

After we made to Marble, we hit the highway to Carbondale/Aspen area. Both Ben and Wade know some guys there that may can help with the clutch. It was a pretty nice street ride around through the White River area.

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/73185750" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/73185749" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

We got to Carbondale, Wade was struggling with the traffic and signals trying not to get run over on the big twin with no clutch. It was easier to ride off road that on the street! He did manage to get in touch with a friend, park the bike at his office and use his truck to go the Aspen KTM dealer for a master cylinder.

Ben and I grabbed some lunch, then helped Wade get the new master cylinder fitted and bled. It was an off road version, but it worked minus a mirror mount. So then we head off to Aspen and over Taylor Pass.

Downtown Aspen:
    [​IMG]

Downtown Aspen from ski mountain road:
    [​IMG]

We got to the top of Aspen Mtn, weather was still good, but some clouds were moving around. We headed out Richmond Hill Road toward Taylor Pass. Great jeep road, lots of fun!

Unfortunately my helmet cam battery had died again, I really need to get a spare. I didn't get any footage of the road or the impending dangers just over the horizon.....

Ben and Wade had checked out on me, they were ripping up Richmond Hill pretty fast. There were still a few muddy sections so I was cautiously brisk, but not flying.

About the time I got above the tree line, there were huge dark clouds covering the mountain. I look to the left at the collegiate peaks and they are totally white. I start getting pelted with sleet and snow. Of course I hear thunder, and see lighting flashes, this is not good, I am the tallest object on this ridge. There was a few more miles to ride along the ridge to Taylor Pass. The ground is getting white, face shield is fogged, ice has built up on the windshield and my clothes. I just keep my head down and motoring along.

As I drop off the pass at the lake, I see some campers with a Toyota FJ, I think worst case I could scrounge shelter with them, the storm is raging pretty good. As I drop in elevation, it is turning to rain, so that is good... I think...

After I pass the lake, I see two 990s parked next to a bank of trees with 4 boots sticking out, waiting on me. :clap

We figure it is about time to get off this mountain. We start down, the rain water on the trail is getting more volume, the rain is hammering us, lighting hit just up the hill from us, the thunder is instant... I udder another CRAP.

We keep moving. We drop down in a creek bed section and a bunch of ATVs are in front of us. We are in the middle of this trail/creek with over a foot of raging water and the rain is hammering us. We can't see the rocks, just riding by feel. Wade tries to make it around the quads and drops his twice in the creek bed section. I don't know how I didn't drop mine, but I made it through.

We get to the bottom of the Taylor Pass road onto Taylor River road. We make short work of the UTVs and Quads that had the trial stopped up. Still pouring the rain.

We get back to the cabin, it is still nasty weather, Wade's family members from Missouri were getting pretty worried, they had fixed dinner for all of us. Thanks goodness for the dinner it was great!

I will say, the Klim gore-tex gear has made me a believer. I have a Latitude jacket and pants and was wearing my sidi gore-tex lined boots. After being in the snow/ice/rain storm for over 2 hours, my under clothes and socks were still dry. They are awesome!

I think Benwracin007 has a few photos from the Taylor Pass ride, hopefully he can add them to the report.
  10. LittleWan

LittleWan You can do it!

Oddometer:

Yes. :nod

We did it going that way - up from Marble. In the dark.

I didn't even see the schofield pass sign! or that wooden mill building! :bluduh

Oh well. I'm glad you have photos so I can see what I missed!
  11. TLtrials

Oddometer:
    Hey LittleWan,
    Yes, you guys were part of our discussion sitting at the base waiting on the liquid steel to cure on the master cylinder. That would have have been nasty to climb, and even worse in the dark.

Great ridding to get up there on the big twins!
  12. TLtrials

Oddometer:
    Friday morning we got up to fog and cool temps around Taylor Park. We packed up and checked out of the cabin.

We were still a little waterlogged from Thursday evening. Wade still had a few days before being back at work, so he left out for Moab and look for some dryer weather. Ben and I seen him off, went talked to some Minnesota dirt bikers that Ben knew and rolled into the valley on Thursday to ride.

We crossed over Cottonwood Pass toward Buena Vista. I think this Friday was the start of the ADV Westfest, as we seen a ton of D/S bikes around Cottonwood and Buena Vista. We stopped at Subway for a breakfast sandwich, the headed back to Denver on the pavement.

We got to my Sister's house, let out gear dry out on the driveway, packed up the bikes and got ready for the drive east Saturday morning.... :cry

We did all go to Robert's Deli (one of my favorite places to eat in Denver), then on to a Rockies game, they killed the Pirates! :clap

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While downtown I did see a concert poster that would be awesome to go to in September. I got to start planning these tips around some good concerts and music festivals!

[​IMG]

Saturday and Sunday, Ben and I worked our way back to North Carolina, ready for work on Monday (kind of...)

[​IMG]

The other thing I would mention in this report, there are a lot of great places to ride in CO, but they are constantly under attack. Please support the Rocky Mountain clubs and organizations to preserve the right to ride. With the internet it is easy to join a club or make a donation, even for out of state riders that come to this great place when ever they can.

[​IMG]
  13. apollomission19

apollomission19 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice pics, videos and adventures.

How's been the KTM's? Any problems?
  14. LittleWan

LittleWan You can do it!

Oddometer:
    Oh, I'm sorry Brian - I forgot that we met you guys the day after we did Schofield! :shog
    (By the way - your last Schofield video was really great! Wow, those were scary cliffs)

That discussion probably went something like, "Those Oso Loco folks sure are STUPID!"
    Wade: "Why did I give that guy my contact info???"
    haha! :lol3

It was fun reading your report - you found some stuff we'll have to make note of for next time.
    I know it's a lot of work to upload everything and post...
    Thanks!
    (by the way, photobucket lost your toolbox sticker photo :cry)

p.s. Did Lambchop and Ben forget their ADV log in passwords or something? :scratch
    :wink:
  15. zgfiredude

zgfiredude RMAR

Oddometer:
    My office is 50 feet from here.....I am at the Fire Department right around the corner in front in this pic.

I am a little hurt that you didn't stop to say "Hi." :D

And thanks for supporting COHVCO!!
  16. TLtrials

Oddometer:
    Hey Apollomission19 - Thanks, it was a great week of riding. The big Ktooms are great, but I am biased.:rofl
    No major issues, I have had my 06 since new, I think it is around 23,000 miles now. It left me stuck last year in west Kansas, a wire connector broke in the wiring harness that would not allow it to start. Needle in a haystack search and repair. Rented a truck and hauled home, then took a couple of hours with the volt meter checking circuits, relays, and wire ohms.

Hey LittleWan - Your RR is going great, I can't believe the shock, then the sprinklers!
    We did use terms like "insanely driven to get up that rock face!" Never stupid, we all may be in that classification! :D And Wade may be border line evil when it comes to trial selection, so he will fit in well with your group on the west coast.
    I fixed my photos on your report, I had re-sorted the photo bucket folders and it lost the original link, they are back in view now.

Lambchop did send me a message that he has lost his password.... :lol3
    Maybe when he finds it, he can add some photos from his route to Taylor and over to Moab after we left.
    Benwracin007 has been pretty tied up with some work and home stuff since we got back. He will get settled out in a couple of weeks.

Hey zgfiredude,
    My next time through I will stop by! Maybe you can break free and go for a ride. Ride and fish in the summer and ski in the winter.... You need any help?

Yeah, I have tried to support the COHVCO, the legal fund, and the Trail Preservation Alliance for the last couple of years, a GREAT CAUSE!
  17. O Team

O Team Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great RR in my old stomping grounds.
    You made it through the infamous "Devil's Punchbowl" and lived to tell about - although you did sacrifice a clutch.
    Nothing like snow in the summer to make things interesting.
  18. TLtrials

Oddometer:
    Yep, Devil's Punchbowl is an awesome place, absolutely beautiful in my opinion. The rocks and the water, it is just plain cool to go through there.

Wade was bent because it wasn't a "real" get off to break the clutch! He wanted a badge of honor! :evil
  19. Lambchops

Lambchops Offroad Adventure

Oddometer:
    No I didn't forget my login actually I did for a bit. Brian your report is awesome but really dude if your not falling your not your not riding hard enough! Lol
    It's was a great ride, I spent a few days alone exploring ill try to get some pictures posted shortly. The 990 is more than capable and a great mount, I wish I were 7 ft tall but if stay on the gas and pointed up hill it works awesome!:wink

l will get some phones and add my spin on the report shortly I don't remember falling that much but I do remember waiting a bit, :rofl
  20. blake716

blake716 nine toes

Oddometer:
    Nice view. :thumb