Big Bike Solo in the Black Hills

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Cannonshot, May 18, 2009.

1. WOXOF

WOXOF Just wander'n

Oddometer:
    Great Report.

Thanks for the fantastic history lesson. :thumb
  2. captodport

captodport Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cannonshot, I have read this thing for days, this should be a sticky, is that what they call 'em?

I have to admit, with your photography, and the places you went to take the photos, I expected to see a pic of your bike on top of Mt. Rushmore :D. The most fantastic sites and stories I've ever seen or heard. I've got to go there before I ...........go?

Thank you so much for your efforts in this, I'll be rereading this again and again.
  3. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Thanks Klay. See you at SLAP.

Glad you were intertained Meef.

Thanks and glad to see that it may be of some use to planning your own trip. That is how it is intended.

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it.

Riding is fun but riding with history is pretty neat too. Thanks.

Thanks for your enthusiasm. I hope you get a chance to hit the Hills sometime soon. It is a great place to ride.

I'm off to Arkansas to ride the DRZ a little with the folks at SLAP. I won't be around to tend the thread for a few days so please don't think I am ignoring it. :D
  4. willnevergrowup

willnevergrowup Long timer

Oddometer:
    I really enjoyed this Cannonshot! Thanks for all the time and research you had to put into this to do such a top notch job!!
  5. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great report Cannonshot! Thanks so much.
  6. 65bmwr50

65bmwr50 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great report! Thanks for all of the hard work.

If you ever find yourself out in that area again a good place to stay is Fort Robinson in Crawford Nebraska. The barracks have been changed into a neat hotel with no phone and no TV. Great restaurant downstairs.

Thanks again!

Ian
  7. curtass

curtass Shoei saved my skull!

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the great RR! I enjoyed the history lesson-off to check out your other threads...:deal

Next time your here check out deerfield road between Rochford and Hill City-nice sweepers and less traffic than most during summer, and Deerfield Resort has nice folks and a cool aqarium.
  8. Condolini

Condolini Fountain of useless info

Oddometer:
    I was in the Hills last August and now you make me want to go back for further exploring! Thanks for the report!

I LdOL at the pic of the French tourists, the women were wearing trainers, something we Americans are counseled not to do when visiting Europe. :rofl
  9. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    Growing up near the BH I am quite familiar with many of the areas you visited, but quite a few were new to me. Thanks very much for the informative and entertaining narrative and photos. I really enjoyed your ride report.
  10. MizzouRider

MizzouRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great pics and great read.. I have climbed Harney peak twice, I took the kids when they were too young to remember, so I had to go again.:rofl

When we got to the top the first time the "no see-ums" were so bad it was almost torture..

So many great memories from the BH.. I went thru once on my bike (K1200LT at the time) so I stayed off the gravel.. After going thru your pics, I need to go back on the GS..

Thanks for posting. :clap :clap
    Jeff
  11. RedBean25

RedBean25 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I believe the women were expecting one of those Black Hills flash floods! :clap
  12. Condolini

Condolini Fountain of useless info

Oddometer:
    I was in Rapid City in '73, many of the buildings were still showing the high water mark from the flood. Glad I live on a hill!
  13. RedBean25

RedBean25 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 for living on a hill. I always make sure my dwelling is on higher ground. Call me paranoid, but I just don't wish to ever be flooded out. I have had flooding all around me, but have been lucky to never have had to experience it first hand.
  14. The Yeti

The Yeti Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great report! Enjoyed it immensely!! :clap

Lived my entire life in Rapid City and you've shown me a whole new view of the hills. Thanks for opening my eyes...I'll be visiting some new places, and some old, with a new (historical) perspective now.

I'm usually out riding the hills every weekend during the spring/summer/fall. If any of you locals are interested in getting together for a ride to some of the interesting places Cannonshot detailed in this report, drop me a PM here, or, better yet, check out the link in my sig! :D
  15. MsSuzieQ

MsSuzieQ Adventure sister

Oddometer:
    Well now we may have to stretch this vacation a little longer this year... I knew some of the history of the area but nothing compared to what you showed me. I wanna go now! I am tired already, but I am ready to be retired lol... bucket list!:ricky
  16. 2TrakR

2TrakR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Excellent write up indeed. Better every time.

Truly a great reference. Hope to get out there myself, especially after enjoying the write up.

Thanks, Bryan, appreciate the time you've put into the report.
  17. svs

svs Posts too much... Supporter

Oddometer:
    So very nice of you to put all this together. One of the best reports I have read on this site.

Thank you so much.
  18. pikipiki

pikipiki next!

Oddometer:
    Now that's a detailed report. Thanks, learned a lot.
  19. ADW

ADW 'tard bike restos

Oddometer:
    Someone else may have already said so by now (I'm working my way through, currently on page 2 of probably 15 or so by now?), but you can also visit the Titan Missile Museum in Tucson, AZ. Part of the Pima Air Museum. Neat place. Google it, easy to find all the website stuff.

Great report as usual, Bryan! Will be contacting you for GPS info. Thanks again for your fantastic RRs!!:clap
  20. doubleu

doubleu Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Whoa, these look like (are?) the gates you cross to get to my folks' place up near Terry Peak. Never seen anyone else take a pic of them before :D