Big Bike Solo in the Black Hills

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Cannonshot, May 18, 2009.

1. jigdog

jigdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One of the best reports ever! The standard by which others will be judged.
  2. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys. Leaving for a couple of 1100 Mile CannonTreks I am hosting. Looking forward to riding a smaller bike for a while. I'll get the GPS done when I get back and will post here when they are done.

Thanks Elmer. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Thanks Pantah. It was a fun ride.

Arkansas was great and much warmer than the Hills. :lol3
    Remarkably, the rattlesnake we encountered down there was not in the poison ivy, it was right out in the middle of the path. Must not have gotten the word.

Thanks, it it turned out to be more work doing the report that I anticipated. :lol3 Thanks for the tip on Fort Robinson!

The History part is always interesting - to me anyway. :lol3 Thanks for the note on the Deerfield Road. I've ridden it before on my DRZ but didn't have it in the route this time. Good stuff!

Sometimes it seems easy to spot Europeans but I don't know why exactly. Always nice to meet people from other places.

Thanks, and I'm glad there was some new stuff in there for some of those already familiar with the Hills.

Thanks Jeff. That is quite a hike to get up on top of Harney - especially with kids! I don't know if I mentioned it or not, but the CCC guys hauled all the face rock, sand, cement, etc up there to build the tower. There is a guy whose ashes are stuck in the tower someplace as well.

Thanks. It is quite a compliment to be able to entertain a local guy with additional information about his own area. Very glad you enjoyed it.

Thanks. I hope some of this helps you plan a good trip. That was the point of it all. There is really a lot to enjoy in that area.

Thanks Jeramey. Hope this will stand as a good reference for people thinking about a trip.

Thanks so much. There are a lot of helpful and entertaining reports here and I am glad that I got a chance to contribute.

Thanks. There will be a test on all this later on. :lol3

Thanks. I'll let you know when the tracks are available.

I was surprised at home steadily those big trucks run back and forth at that crossing.

Thanks so much. I'm just happy to be able to contribute to the next guy that might be interested.
  3. doubleu

doubleu Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was just chatting with my Dad about that particular mine over the weekend, and they still extract about $1 million to $2 million of gold a week! (2007 yielded $40 million and 2008 $65 million, or that might be reversed) Wow!
  4. DumpTruck

DumpTruck Cursum Perficio

Oddometer:
    Thanks...great ride report...I've been to the area a few times and did not know about 90% of that stuff. Detail incredible and interesting. Kudos!
  5. gregg

gregg gregg

Oddometer:
    wrong road. I think the trail you wanted was to the left. Right past a house and driveway and you start up the trail looking in another back yard. That road on the picture leads to a penstock to a hydro plant.
    It took 3 to 4 trips to the hills to get this all together.

Oh ya WOW :deal what a report.:deal Love it love it...:clap :clap :clap :clap
    Love the history:deal
  6. SportFaller

SportFaller Dirt dont hurt, MUCH

Oddometer:
    Cannon, sorry I missed you when you were in town, I would have liked to cruise around! I am really enjoying reading your RR, even though I've lived in the hills my entire life, I've learned a ton about the history! So about the piles: the park is experiencing historic, epidemic level Mountain Pine Beetle activity, caused by overstocked forests. The pine beetles kill trees by laying eggs under the bark, and the larvae essentially girdle the trees, killing them. The beetles will kill nearly every tree in the stand if the trees are'nt healthy enough to flush them out with sap. This thinning is being done by local thinning crews and inmate crews from the area. By thinning the stands the health of the remaining trees improves, and any larvae in the chunked up trees die as the log dries out. In the winter, park fire crews roam around having thousands of weenie roasts. Hope this answers your questions!! Keep up the great writing and exploring!! I'll try to fill in your grand canyon section this summer!
  7. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Glad it was entertaining.

Thanks for the tip. The one to the left was marked private property so I didn't pursue it. Glad you liked the report! Thanks.
  8. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the great information! Very interesting.

Sorry we missed each other. Maybe the next time around.

And thanks in advance for going out to "complete the record" in this report by covering the areas I was snowed out of. :thumb
  9. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    The magenta line is Maitland Road. The side trip on the track line (not the route line) is pretty clearly signed as Carbonate Road although your GPS may call it False Bottom Creek Road where it starts. Beware that False Bottom Creek Road on the GPS map goes in several directions. You will want to climb and work west on what is signed as Carbonate Road.

[​IMG]
  10. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I finally put together a GPX file to share concerning the places I visited on this trip.

It has 324 waypoints of points of interest, gas, and the like.

It also has 52 tracks segments of the more important paths I took.
    Rather than try to thread it all together in one "continuous" track, I left it as segments that someone can thread together as they tailor their own trip.

I still can't get a GPX uploaded, so if you want this file PM me an e-mail address that takes attachments and I'll send it right out.

[​IMG]
  11. Solo Gato

Solo Gato long in the tooth Supporter

Oddometer:
    WoW great stuff:clap
  12. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I also have a spreadsheet with points of interest that has some clickable web links in it. Same deal, PM me an e-mail address.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. DustyS

DustyS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very much enjoyed your RR and looking forward to next one.

Also appreciate you sharing file offer, PM sent.
  14. DBrentMiller

DBrentMiller Sojourn Chronicles

Oddometer:
    Cannonshot, just like everyone else, I have thoroughly enjoyed your RR. Inspired by your Pony Express adventures, I recently completed my Pony Express travels, but following mostly the National Park Service Historic Trail auto routes. Manged to do a little dirt and gravel.

I traveled the entire route, St. Joseph, MO, to Sacramento, CA, in seven days and about 2,100 miles. I did a little back and forth to add to the approximate 1,900 miles of NPS Historic Trail. Nevada and California were poorly marked but I managed. My travels started June 20th with daily posts at Sojourn Chronicles.

Now, I guess I'll have to go to the Black Hills!

Brent
  15. FREDO RIDER

FREDO RIDER Enjoying the path !

Oddometer:
    Wow, Fantastic ride report.
    Thanks. I really enjoyed it !
  16. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    :clap :clap :clap Love it !
  17. philaz1

philaz1 No Worries :)

Oddometer:
    Thanks very much for that ride through history. This was like a good book, I could not stop reading till I got to the end. Ride Safe!!
  18. SGrider

SGrider I give up Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great report, I was searching around for Black Hills reports to use for planning a possible trip sometime in 2010 and this one has a ton of info and history. I have ridden through the Hills a couple of times but never really rode off the pavement, so I am looking at riding mostly off road. I'll have to review this thread a few times to help pick out some of the things I'd like to see over a long weekend. I really should get a GPS to help find my way around and to use what ever tracks are available.

Thanks for all the info. :clap
  19. GreatWhiteNorth

GreatWhiteNorth Long timer

Oddometer:
    Winterpeg - site of flatness beyond belief
    Cannonshot & all others who've contributed to this great thread - a big thanks! Am planning to visit the hills this summer. It's been almost 30 years since I was there last. I really enjoyed the historic aspects of this thread - am old enough now to appreciate that stuff :D Pretty wild beginnings in them thar hills!
  20. scudrunner

scudrunner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great report...thanks!