Big Bike Solo in the Black Hills

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Cannonshot, May 18, 2009.

1. begeberg

begeberg Let it burn....

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tracks and stuff. A buddy and I are heading over there in June to do a bunch of things including offroading with our DRZs.

We plan on doing a bit of Prairie doggin, camera shootin', trout fishin as well. Going to do a bit of prospecting( AKA beer drinking with a shovel and pan) also. Still looking for a decent creek to run my little sluice in yet.

Love coming back to this area; it brings back childhood memories of camping next to the creek and catching Trout with my family in the late 60's when I was a kid. My family homesteaded in Eastern SD in the 1870s near the town of White.
  2. mike1952

mike1952 Long timer

Oddometer:

I always like to read your reports. Especially, this one becuase we lived in Spearfish, SD for 3 years and spent a week riding back roads there last summer. Going back again this summer.
  3. mike1952

mike1952 Long timer

Oddometer:

I can confirm that is Poker Alices House. There is a pic of it in a book on towns of the Black HIlls. I also have friends in Srugis, one is actually named Harley, tht can confirm the homes history.
  4. mike1952

mike1952 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I lived in the Black Hills and was a geologist. We usedto mine that bentonite stuff. Lot is around but not all makes specifications for the many different uses. It is actually approved to eat. Besides being in most makeup. Dont get me started.
  5. mike1952

mike1952 Long timer

Oddometer:

We went right by that area last summer on our dirt bikes. Just about got blown off of Cement Ridge by the wind. As I recall from Geology Field Camp tht I took over 30 years ago the Blacks in Tinton found cassiterite an ore of tin. That is what made them rich. Could be wrong 30 years is a long time to try to remember things. I have some of the original old maps with the N word. Even the ones with Negro seem so un pc.
  6. mike1952

mike1952 Long timer

Oddometer:

In 1985 I was at a mining engineering confrence in Rapid City and they allowed a limited number of us into the Homestake mine. We ended up down to 7850 I think. Yes, hot and humid from all the groundwater. At 6500ft, which was our first stop to switch shafts is was about 55 degrees. Then just over 1000 ft lower we felt the heat from the earths interior.
  7. mike1952

mike1952 Long timer

Oddometer:

She lived a long ways from there? Eastern SD?
  8. mike1952

mike1952 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cannonshot your reports are always outstanding but his one is even more so. You found such cool places that amazed me and I lived there for several years.
  9. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Just catching up since I last posted on this thing.

Thanks for the kind remarks! The idea behind this thing was to share some information and tracks that might be useful to someone who might want to explore the Hills themselves. Seems like that is working out. I know I've sent out a lot of tracks/info to people.

It is always a great compliment to hear that you were able to offer something to people local to the area as well.

Thanks for the added insight on some of these places. The additional detail is very interesting to read.

Still looking for a few folks to add pictures of some of the places I couldn't get to because of the snow.
  10. Spinalcracker

Spinalcracker former redriderofma

Oddometer:
    :clap Great ride !!

I must have missed it but what map software are you using for the screen shots and for the 60Csx? Thanks
  11. rockjohn

rockjohn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fantastic RR Cannonshot, I look forward to ridding the Hills next year thanks for the low down and great pics. :thumb
  12. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
  13. TheFrenchCanadian

TheFrenchCanadian Frog Prince

Oddometer:
    Was in the BH last year a few weeks after you. Been reading your Ride Report and taking notes for our yearly trip back again this May. This will make things a whole lot easier for us.:D

Very much appreciated!!

Take care,
    TFC
  14. MotoKopite

MotoKopite Nec Temere, Nec Timide

Oddometer:
    Great RR, loved the pics and all the great stories. I can't wait to get back out there.
  15. darmahman

darmahman "Illogically Deluded" Supporter

Oddometer:
    Those tough bastards you were referring to were brothers Dan Thomson and his brother Edward, who is my Great Grandpa... and also Riverrider's and Mose8888's.
    They holed up in a 3 sided lean-to horse shed with a dirt floor for the winter.
    Those guys were tough and you are correct about that story and also the Hank Mason bear story.
    great homework Cannonshot!

Our mother grew up on Beaver Creek Road. Her father, our grandpa, Dan, son of Ed Thomson, had a farm/ranch on Beaver Creek, and also had land he homesteaded about 10 miles due east in the Black Hills. Gorgeous country! Our family still owns the place on Beaver Creek, but sadly some real estate city slicker bought the "Limestone" up in the Black Hills from my Grandpa before he died, w/o the family knowing.

Thanks so much for this thread. We have enjoyed immensely and will be dual sporting up there again this summer.:clap My brothers might add to this.
    Also the pic below that you took is the trail we take to get up to the Limestone where our Grandpa had homesteaded the land in the Black Hills back in the early 1900's!
    It is private property and the owners need to be asked b/4 using it.

From post # 63 of this thread:

Two brothers railed it to Deadwood in 1886 and then drove their livestock here to homestead. They almost didn't make it the first winter. The winter was so bad that one cattle company on the open plains lost 93,000 head that winter. These guys managed to live on turnips and wild game until March when one of them finally made a break for it. He made a two wheel cart with the axle of a wagon and managed a 120 mile round trip though the snow to Buffalo Gap for supplies. Tough bastards for sure. Eventually they made a go of it and sold food to the Cambria mine community.
    [​IMG]
  16. Dratharr

Dratharr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now that is cool, it is amazing what a small world it is!
  17. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    What a wonderful ride report. I love all the history and detail. Thanks for making your spreadsheet and gpx tracks available to everyone.

I've been to Sturgis (the rally) 3 times and while I saw many of the known highlights of the area you showed me just how much I missed in the area. One thing is for sure the next time I go to the area it won't be during the rally and I won't miss so much.

Thanks again.
  18. WaywardSon

WaywardSon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Incredible job on the report...thank you for all of the hard work involved!

The Black Hills are one of the few areas of the country I haven't been to, gonna have to rectify that:deal

Thanks again......
  19. StromHAMMER

StromHAMMER Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In 1957 the base changed over to B-52s. Eventually it took on the missile mission in the region as well. In 1987 they changed over to B-1 bombers.
    [​IMG]

Well, I helped anyway. I worked for Rockwell International in 1985-86 in Tulsa, Ok. It was my first job after college. I made some of the support structure and the window frames. I've only seen them in real life doing fly bys. Now I'll have to find this one and check it out.
    Thanks
  20. gagnaou

gagnaou Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice RR, not sure how I managed to miss for so long!

Thanks for sharing!