Big Bike Solo in the Black Hills

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Cannonshot, May 18, 2009.

1. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Hope the details help you on your own trips.

You being related to these guys and posting here is really interesting! Thanks for sharing that!

Thanks. The purpose of much of the report was to help the next person have a great experience in the Hills. Looks like it is fulfilling that for some.

You can get a pretty close up look (at least from ground level). Very impressive aircraft. Hope you enjoy your visit.

Thanks!
  2. Badge320

Badge320 Wild Hog No. 3

Oddometer:
  3. iWander

iWander Adventure Geek

Oddometer:
    Bryan - This ride report is nothing short of incredible! You should be making money writing travel books for fellow adventurers.

I'm heading to SD either next week or this fall (long story) and this information will come in very handy. Thanks again!
  4. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I hope the report compliments your trip to the Hills. I wrote it to make it easier for the next guy to pick out some stuff they might be interested in.

These history rides are just kind of a hobby for me to enjoy.
  5. RoundOz

RoundOz Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer:
    ...for a ride report that sets the standard! An almost perfect combination of images, reports of your experiences and history/geography info. I say near-perfect because I had to take off a percentage point for the puns...they almost got you fired!

Thanks for access to your spreadsheet and mapfiles!
  6. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Thanks Oz. Hope you get to make use of the tracks. The Hills is a great place to ride.

Sorry about the puns! :lol3
  7. Great Buffalo

Great Buffalo Great Plains Rider

Oddometer:
    Cannonshot, I'm getting to this great report some 2 years late. Lots of good info. A note on the Laura Ingalls thing with the French folks. There is an Ingalls connection in that town. David N Swanzey is buried in a cemetery there in Keystone. He was a friend of Rushmore and Borglum and is said to have actually named the Mountain. He was married to Carrie Ingalls, younger sister to Laura Ingalls. She is however buried back in her hometown of DeSmet.

When you were in Galena I too was anticipating your visit to Vinegar Hill Cemetery where Sarah "Aunt Sally" Campbell in burried. She was a remarkable woman in her own right. She used to tell people that she, not Annie Talent, was she was the first white women into the hills. The obvious irony here is that she was a black women. She did file that claim "illegally" but is still considered to have the first claim in the Hills, white, black, man, woman.

Not sure if you mentioned that Annie Talent was with the Gordon Party that made the first substantial incursion into the Hills and set up the Gordon Stockade that you visited. Annie was a prominent person in the history of the area and wrote one the earliest books on that history. I was fortunate enough to have received a copy on that book from my family as a Christmas present this past year.

Preacher Smiths wife went to her grave defending the Indians. She made statement many times that she did not believe Indians were to blame for her husbands death but perhaps a white man trying to stir up descent.

A fascinating area and even more fascinating history. Thanks for your exhaustive efforts to bring some of it to life. I too love to visit those places and imagine in my mind what took place so many years ago.
  8. mrmaico

mrmaico Long timer

Oddometer:
    Vinegar Hill Cemetery......thanks, never did know the name of the place.
  9. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Thanks GB for sharing that great information. There is so much great riding and interesting history in the Hills. What a wonderful place for some excellent dual sporting.

I hope that all this inspires a few others to take a look around the area if they haven't already. What a great desitinaton.
  10. Trail bandit

Trail bandit Random adventurer

Oddometer:
    Flatistan Nebraska and Melbourne, Australia
    Hey Cannonshot. I'm heading for the Blackhills next week with luck. Just found your report and appreciate the great information. :clap:clap:clap
  11. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Glad you found it helpful. Hope you have a great trip!!!!
  12. Akunin

Akunin Neo-Vegabond

Oddometer:
    I thought I would give this thread a much needed bump. Living in the Hills myself the OP has really done a great job introducing the area. Come visit!
  13. thecynic

thecynic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just stumbled across this absolutely outstanding ride report. I thoroughly enjoyed reading through it. (instead of working :evil) Been there with the family on vacation, but I would really love to ride out there. Thanks for making all of the resources available too.

I feel like I should get a couple of hours of college credit for a history course now. :y0!

Thanks!!!!
  14. 10Cup

10Cup Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Cannonshot! Thanks so much for the history lesson, lived in central SD until I was 18 and learned more about my native state on your ride report than I did in high school LOL:lol3

Awesome, ride safe and keep those history lessons coming:deal:clap
  15. TRUBRIT

TRUBRIT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We will be up in and around Custer and the Badlands end of next month. Appreciate the info in this thread. The details always make a difference on a ride. Without some research you could be riding by a spectacular road or POI, or miss out on a really nice campsite. Cannonshot, to your good health:1drink
  16. VFR

VFR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    WOW!!! Finally finished this amazing report. The ST-Owners group has a rally in spearfish every year in early July. I have been several times & will be there again this year. The difference is that this time I will be armed with a ton more information about the area. Also plan to do some serious riding as well as have a burger at the Sugar Shack.

Thanks so much for the excellent report. I have also read your other ones. The research you do for these is absolutely amazing. :clap

What is the plan for the next one???
  17. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I try to write these with an eye toward helping out the next rider(s) plan a trip of their own. Nice to hear that a local that enjoyed the coverage.

Thanks! The history part is kind of fun. Nice to learn a little more about the things we run into along the way.

Thanks! I like the history part as well. Digging out some of that obscure information helps pass the Wisconsin winters. :D

Thanks! I'm glad to hear that this report will be helpful to you. Hope you have a wonderful trip!

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed this report and some of the others I have out there. I used to see things along the way and wonder about them. Now I try to dig out relevant information and share it with others who may be curious as well.

As far as the next one, I always have something cooking. :evil
  18. primate

primate Group W

Oddometer:
    Glad somebody dug this up, great history lesson. My Mom was born and raised in Terraville, their house was built into the side of a hill with a sod roof. My grandfather and uncles all worked in the Homestake mine. I can remember walking to town through an abandoned mine, as you mentioned, with my grandmother. I guess all the residents had keys, I know she did. My Mom was Ski Queen of Terry Peak, I have an old brochure with her on the cover in a bikini and skis! Probably 1950. Last time I was there was 2003, had a blast, but would really like to do some dual-sporting.
  19. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Pretty cool stuff! Thanks for sharing it. :thumb
  20. Trail bandit

Trail bandit Random adventurer

Oddometer:
    Flatistan Nebraska and Melbourne, Australia
    Hope you've got that framed or something. Great to have that history preserved. I've had too much cool stuff disappear over the years wi various moves etc.

Cannonshot. I've brought a Montana 650t and will start working with some of your gps tracks. Really interesting to follow some of the history of the pony express route. Interesting stuff just south of me in Lincoln , NE. Who'd have thought? Been to St Joseph and seen the wonderful history displayed there. Military museum was also good value. The old guys tell their war stories.