Big Bike Solo in the Black Hills

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Cannonshot, May 18, 2009.

1. Akunin

Akunin Neo-Vegabond

Oddometer:
    I really like that gps, it's my next upgrade from my Colorado. I just got the handlebar mount for it so it won't be long until I'll be sharing (in a different thread) tracks, waypoint and video (action camera) of some of the local sites and off the beaten path hidden gems.

Cannonshot did a great job with this thread and I'm always looking at bikes for the "ADV" sticker. My bike is almost ready for the road then I can start sharing in a thread of my own!
  2. BigKnobby

BigKnobby Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been to the Black Hills. It's an amazing and powerful place and your report takes me there again.

You posted some great pics and I love your writing style. It's very understated and matter-of-fact and I appreciate that. I believe the trip should always be the star.

Thanks so much for sharing...
  3. SJK

SJK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A huge source of info to be had here. Planning on being there the 1st week of Sept and tapped some good ideas off this RR!!! You are officially "The Man" for what you do for this site.

Cannonshot for President!!!:D
  4. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I'm glad you found the information useful.
  5. The Reverend K

The Reverend K mostly lurking Supporter

Oddometer:
    I know I'm late in the game here but thanks for another fantastic ride report! Planning a couple of trips this summer and will most likely add this to my route back from Seattle. Also plan on doing a chunk of the CDR earlier in the season, and will of course, grab your intel for that as well. Thanks for all of the hard work!
  6. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I'm glad you are finding these reports useful. I hope you have some good trips. Lots to see and enjoy out that way.
  7. award900

award900 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Cannonshot!
  8. achesley

achesley Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Stumbled on this old report and reread it again. Brought back so many memories of the places I traveled to back then. Had that ,07 Bandit in some really trashy roads at times. But, to be honest, the times I went back there on the KLR was much more fun. LOL!
    Thanks for allowing my mind to drift back to the good times, alone with my bike and traveling the roads lesser traveled.
  9. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    You are quite welcome.

Glad this brought back some pleasant memories for you Andy. What a nice place to ride and explore.
  10. stoops

stoops let's ride

Oddometer:
    Glad I found this thread, was thinking of this area for a trip for this upcoming summer. I think you've laid out a great many ideas for roads and stops for me. Thank you. And I'm thinking I'll do the trip before CADVR so we can swap some stories.
  11. moment

moment Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very good ride report. Thanks. :thumb
  12. darmahman

darmahman "Illogically Deluded" Supporter

Oddometer:
    FWIW - an update on the Cambria area ghost town talked about in this thread:
    New owners will not allow anyone but family members tour the Cambria ghost town area. A way cool treasure is now off limits. Jerks! :)
  13. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Hope you have a great trip and I'm glad you are finding this thread useful. Looking forward to chatting about it at the Central Rally! :thumb

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it. Trying to help out the next guy.

Sorry to hear they don't want visitors but I understand why they wouldn't want a bunch of strangers poking around on some remote parts of their property. I really appreciated the hospitality of the folks that took me on a tour. It was pretty interesting.
  14. darmahman

Oddometer:
    The people who used to own it were good people who chose wisely who they would let in.(you and I included) The new owner is a jerk that won't allow anyone to view the site in anyway, shape or form. He is an out of state rich guy that won't share his new toys with anyone but his immediate family.
  15. bomose

bomose Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bump for a great Cannonshot report.
    Cannonshot likes this.
  16. kitesurfer

kitesurfer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I love this RR! I'm planning a trip through there in route to yellowstone area in September. Thanks for all the hard work putting this RR together.
    Cannonshot likes this.
  17. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:

headed your way shortly, tell me more
  18. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:
    thank you @Cannonshot was already looking forward to getting out,

but now even more, a lot of info in here i'm gonna have to read it again

:clap:clap:clap
    Cannonshot likes this.
  19. PR61

PR61 old noob

Oddometer:
    I spent the first week of June riding the Black Hills gravel and dirt roads on my DR650. I rode 6 days in a row and just scratched the surface of all roads and miles there are to ride. The area has everything, single track, two track, all those gravel roads. As was written in another RR, only 2% of the roads are paved. That leaves 98% percent for dirt/DS riding. It was a wonderful week! Being from central Illinois, we just don't have that type riding available here.
  20. darmahman

Oddometer:
    SHHHHHH!
    Idahopilot likes this.