Big Bike Solo in the Western UP

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Cannonshot, May 18, 2010.

1. siyeh

siyeh unproductive Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bravo Mr. Cannonshot! You've done it again. This report brings back many fond memories of our family cabin on Golden Lake near Iron River. The stories those old miners used to tell were almost as good as yours!
  2. no

no dreaming adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the great story. There are lots of nooks and crannies I haven't seen up there, I see now.
  3. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys. I'm glad this evoked a few pleasant memories. Hopefully it put a little light on the UP as a fine destination for some great riding, scenery, and some interesting places to visit. Hopefully I was able to add a little new information for those that are already pretty familiar with the UP.
  4. MeanStreaker

MeanStreaker KLR > Pee-wee's Bike

Oddometer:
    Outstanding! Thanks for the report.
  5. barnyard

barnyard Verbal tactician Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I just bought a GPS, so I can load the tracks and explore some of this awesomeness.

Thanks for taking us along on the ride.

Tom B
  6. WIthumper

WIthumper The 610 guy

Oddometer:
    Very cool! Thanks Cannon for the great history lesson and excellent pic's. Obviously, there was a lot of effort and time to create a quality ride report like this. Thanks for sharing!
  7. Spartandude

Spartandude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the RR. It makes me miss home, but also reminded me of why I left...jobs. Sigh, maybe someday.
  8. TortfeasorRob

TortfeasorRob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fantastic! Thanks very much for some inspiration. Now if I can just get up enough nerve to cross that damn bridge!
  9. lm248

lm248 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I know how you feel,,, I sat by the lighthouse in Mackinaw for about an hour telling myself to just do it,,,,,,
    It didn't use to bother me , until that damn yugo went over.
    But,,,Next time I will.
    Les
  10. Wheezer

Wheezer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow Wow Wow!
  11. IceCreamSoldier

IceCreamSoldier suffering somewhere

Oddometer:
    Calling this a ride report is like calling Beethoven's 5th a song. Your submission is an overview of the historical, political, industrial, economic, geologic, social, natural, and paranormal activities of the UP whilst riding a motorcycle. My earliest memories begin in Houghton where my Dad was teaching at Michigan Tech. We then moved to Pa when I was 5 but would return to Houghton each summer to do repairs on the house they owned and rented out. There's an excellent chance I will get their on my moto this summer. Thank you so much for all your work and research. Thanks also to your "partner in grime" Beer Team for sending me this link. Awesome job :thumb
  12. zagger

zagger chopped & dirty

Oddometer:
    I grew up in the Houghton/Hancock area and was only somewhat aware of the history over on the iron range. Thanks for the history lesson! The work you put into your ride reports is impressive. I still view the UP as the last "free" place where you can do whatever you like without the man looking over your shoulder. The big trap says it all!
    zag
  13. av_mech

av_mech Risk Taker

Oddometer:
    One of my favorite areas of the world I've been to. I did a very similar loop on my dad's '85 Goldwing in 2006. I grew up in Wisconsin. A very good friend of mine is the school teacher in Copper Harbor. It was fantastic staying with her! Great report!!
  14. n9udl

n9udl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks much for the RR. We're visiting the area in August so hopefully we'll be able to visit a few of the sites you did.
  15. motogearhead

motogearhead Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cannon,

Finally able to finish this report...Outstanding info and pictures!!!

Motogearhead
  16. Fakie

Fakie n00b

Oddometer:
    great RR! I've been lurking for awhile and finally decided to join. This is my first post actually. I grew up in Kingsford, and now live 20 miles south of Marquette. I've visited quite a few of the places in this RR, but also learned quite a few things as well. I just picked up a 2007 drz400sm, and cant wait to start riding. I think a set of S wheels/tires is gonna be in order though. Thanks again for sharing this great area with everyone.
  17. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the encouraging replies. I'm glad that this tour and report found the people that saw it as interesting.

Ran into someone from Lake Gogebic the other day that told me that nest I photographed was indeed an Eagle's nest. It had been abandoned for a while, but now hosts a family of four I am told.

I just revisted some of these sites with a group of riders on dirt bikes that I host on a four day dirt ride that circled the UP. There are a few photos in that thread of some of these sites as well.

CannonTreks VI & VII - 1100 Mile Dual Sports

I suppose I should think about covering the history and great riding of the Eastern UP sometime soon. :lol3
  18. siyeh

siyeh unproductive Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wonderful history report Mr. Cannonshot. I just got done viewing the whole thing-I've been doing a lot of riding of late. :D You sure know how to do it up right! It seems like I visit and ride the same areas in The UP as you do.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The area around Ralph, as you know, has some great fire lanes.

Thanks again!!
  19. redneckdan

redneckdan Hold my beer & watch this

Oddometer:
    NUKED to keep things PC
  20. jonsom

jonsom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool, I just found this and am planning a trip to the UP soon. Will have to look at it more before I leave.