Big Bike Solo in the Western UP

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Cannonshot, May 18, 2010.

1. Daamud

Daamud Life is like a box of Old Milwaukee

Oddometer:
    just got back from a 6 day run on the "island" as some locals call it. If anyone is thinking of doing it, get off your fanny and go! We zig zaged back and forth camping off our "dirty" bikes and loved every second off it! Only bummer was seeing all thoes towns boarded up, but when you get back in woods its all good.:clap
  2. Matt W

Matt W Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the gpx file, I leave on the 28th for the trip and it helped a lot in my planning the routes for the Delorme pn-40 :clap
  3. funkstrong

funkstrong Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just finished this from start to finish, excellent. Thanks so much for sharing.
  4. Grunt58

Grunt58 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I didnt see a link for the file.....where can I find it? This looks like an awesome trip!
  5. cleanair

cleanair Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Kingsford Charcoal is made in Parsons, W. Va..
  6. shoxroxice

shoxroxice Likes this ADV stuff

Oddometer:
    Looks like I'll need to make a trip up-state this coming riding season. :wink:
  7. RockyMtnRoadRash

RockyMtnRoadRash Useful and decorative

Oddometer:
    Interestingly, Subterra has a few such operations including a legal medical marijuana operation north of the border in a mine with similar conditions. The single entrance spiraling type mines and the massive open space types are both great for this kind of stuff.

A proprietor of a popular brand of UP hats is quite proud of his investments in the field.
  8. polarpc

polarpc Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow, amazing report. Thanks for sharing! I've been around the Keweenaw Penninsula and Porcupine Mtn. area a few times by snowmobile and it's amazing. I definitely need to make a trek through the region by bike now.....so many sites to see!
  9. oldrunner

oldrunner Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for doing all this research and presenting it in an interesting way.
    I am from Bessemer and went to school at Michigan Tech and I never knew
    a lot of this stuff or about many of these places. My mind must have been
    on other things.
    One thing you may not have known is that in Bessemer there are several
    bluffs on the north side of town. In the north west one is a large water
    cavern for the city water. The bluff was hollowed out many years ago
    and used like a water tower. We used to climb these bluffs for many
    young adventures.

Thanks again, I need to plan a ride.

Phil
  10. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Glad you enjoyed the report and riding in the UP.

Hope you enjoy your trip there. Great riding in the UP for sure.

Glad you enjoyed the UP as much as I do. Nice place to ride.

Hope you had a great trip.

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it.
    Here you go. Hope you get to ride it.
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=582473

A great product with an unusual beginning.

Hope you enjoy it when you go.

Interesting info. Thanks.

Thanks. Lots to see in the region for sure.

Thanks. That is interesting about the water cavern. Glad you enjoyed the report.

Another related tour is the Upper Peninsula Adventure Trail. Lots of history but it is oriented more toward riding off pavement.
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=627424
  11. JG55

JG55 Almost Normal

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Great ride and amazing history.
  12. BOOGIEMAN

BOOGIEMAN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great report a lot of information and outstanding pictures. Looks like a great place for a ride.:clap
  13. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys. The UP offers some great riding, scenery, and interesting places to visit whether it be on a street bike, a small dual sport, or anything in between. I really recommend a visit.
  14. yooperbikemike

yooperbikemike high, wide and handsome

Oddometer:
    Not really, even the county prosecutor is 1/2 time. BTW, I handled one end of probably 25% of those divorces.
  15. TVB

TVB n00b

Oddometer:
    I have a question about just how difficult the terrain is in the Porkies and Keewenaw. Is it possible to get around (not necessarily quickly, or the shortest route, but simply getting from A to B) on a small-engine motorcycle, or are there too many long grades? I've ridden most of the rest of Michigan, but not this part... and I'd really like to. But I also don't want to get there and find I can't get anywhere.
  16. yooperbikemike

yooperbikemike high, wide and handsome

Oddometer:
    1st of all what do you mean by small engine? There really aren't many of what I would call long grades. The road up to Mt Arvon is probably the longest I've ever been on and it wasn't that steep. Keep in mind that the highest elevation in Michigan (Mt Arvon) is only about 1800 ft. and most of the surrounding terrain isn't a lot lower than that. Now if you have a 125 and are packing 400lbs of rider and gear, some of the hills might be a problem.
  17. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Roads you have access to in the Porkies are unremarkable as far as your ability to traverse them.

The Keweenaw has a few more rugged sections in places off the beaten path. You should be able to manage them on a small engine motorcycle without much difficulty.
  18. TVB

TVB n00b

Oddometer:
    By "small engine" I mean small engine. :) I ride a 50cc from Genuine Scooter Company that's taken me to all but the 8 westernmost UP counties in Michigan. It weighs 200lbs, so do I, and my gear is pretty minimal (it's what I'd normally take backpacking but without food and stove). It's derestricted (duh) but otherwise unmodified, and holds 40mph (actual) on level terrain with no headwind, fully loaded. Up hills... not so fast.

The places I'm most anxious about (at least on the route I'm looking at) are the Porkies' South Boundary Road and access to Lake Of The Clouds, and the spine of the Keweenaw.
  19. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Steepest part of the climb is closest to Lake of the Clouds. It is paved.

Climb out on the Keweenaw is in Houghton-Hancock (ship canal) and Brockway Mountain. Also paved.

The rest is more ordinary highway travel.

I'd be more concerned about the low speed and the related potential traffic hazard on some of the major highways.
  20. TVB

TVB n00b

Oddometer:
    My suspension isn't built for dirt roads, so I've already checked for that and ruled those out.

I've been on US-2 between Manistique and St Ignace (and hated it), and I figure most of the truck traffic stays on it all the way out of state (headed for Washington), so one of my top priorities would be to stay off it. So to get to the Porkies, I'd either have to venture through the Wisconsin highland lakes area or take M-28. (I'd be approaching from Green Bay.)

I'm very conscious about getting in people's way, and try to minimize that. The traffic on most state highways I've taken in the UP has been light enough that I've done OK at 40mph, but that might not be the case if I'm at 30mph (or slower) because I lost my momentum on an up-hill and can't get it back up.