Big Bike Solo in the Western UP

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Cannonshot, May 18, 2010.

1. St. Louis Dave

St. Louis Dave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    South boundy road is pretty flat with no major grades. The road to Lake of the Clouds is a long climb, but nothing a scooter can't handle. Brockway Mountain has some steep climbs, but the road is so rough, I'd skip it.
  2. TVB

TVB n00b

Oddometer:
    I went through Copper Harbor ages ago (in a car) and remember Brockway Mountain; I'd definitely have to skip that. I also remember the climb out of Houghton-Hancock, and was thinking to avoid that by following the channel east out of town toward Gay instead.

I'm also considering doing a little upgrade on the bike, such as installing a pipe tuned for better performance with my 2T engine, which is supposed to increase top speed by 10%.
  3. Oldone

Oldone One day at a time!

Oddometer:
    I rode up through that whole area in June of 2011 with another guy for a week and we had lots of fun but didn't learn anything like what I've learned reading this! Thanks for taking all of the time that I know it took to do this great RR.

Gary "Oldone" :gerg

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride
    Grampa’s National Monument Ride
  4. GoingSolo

GoingSolo Fuck it, LET'S GO!

Oddometer:
    Heading out from Elkhorn WI end of July. Taking the TWAT north out of Hazel Green to Cornucopia with stops along the way. Planning on Copper Harbor and then to Escanaba before heading back south. First real motorcycle adventure for me although I've been riding all my life. Is this too ambitious? 06 DR 650
  5. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not at all. Sounds about perfect to me. You'll enjoy it.
    GoingSolo likes this.
  6. GoingSolo

GoingSolo Fuck it, LET'S GO!

Oddometer:
    Never made Escanaba. Headed south after a couple days in Copper Harbor but the trip was a blast!
  7. fatboy1214

fatboy1214 Cycle North Crew

Oddometer:
    Awesome Report! Every year our group of guys in michigan "Cycle North" inspired by the old cycle south film do a different style trip, 2014 dual sports and supermotos through the eastern UP, 2015 sport bikes and cruisers down to the east coast and this year we will be using your trip here for a guideline on pre 80's 2 stroke enduros! I have been putting together some info and your RR has helped give some great insight! thanks a ton Cannonshot!

Btw this is one of my favorite spots to stretch my legs on US 2 right after the bridge!! FB_IMG_1457371348159.jpg cyclenorth.JPG
    1994klr250 likes this.
  8. statsman

statsman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am so glad this thread has been re opened.
    I missed it the first time.
    The Michigan UP has some great rides.
    Across MI 28 from just south of the Sault and US 2 to Ironwood and Duluth.
    Through Minnesota to the border south of Winnipeg.
    Saves 12 hours on doing the all Canadian route and it's a great ride.
    My favourite part is crossing the Mississippi River in northern Minnesota where it's only about 10 feet wide.
    Cannonshot likes this.
  9. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I looked up the location from your picture on the aerial imagery. Looks like a great stop. The little turnout isn't too obvious so people will have to look for it just east of the wayside and just west of the USFS office on US2 west of St Ignace. My track for the Eastern UP Tour follows the road that is below this outcrop. Thanks for the great tip! :thumb
  10. mitchbob

mitchbob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I love your RRs !!!
    Cannonshot likes this.
  11. i4bikes

i4bikes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just found and finished this RR. As usual the reports you do are of the quality that you could sell. Thanks
    Cannonshot likes this.
  12. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys! The western UP has some great riding and interesting stuff to see. Well, I guess the entire UP does. East and back country.

I'm glad you enjoyed the report and I hope you get to experience some of this stuff first hand.
    1994klr250 and (deleted member) like this.