Big Bike Solo on the Trans-Am Trail (TN-MS-AR-OK-NM)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Cannonshot, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    It would look more familiar oriented like this. :lol3
    [​IMG]
  2. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Rat,

That solo run on the entire route is quite an achievement and you should be very proud - especially for a guy over 60! I'd love to hear the stories some time. I hope we run into each other someday so that I get a chance to!
  3. GasMich

GasMich Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great ride report. What a neat ride. Bryan, your the king!
    Do these guys really know what they are talking about? Looks to me like they could help George W out!
  4. GasMich

GasMich Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    What a neat story about Henry following along to make sure you made it out. There are some really nice people in this world.
  5. alpiv

alpiv Sr. nOOb

Oddometer:
    Cannonshot,
    Very well done...
    I think you are the first to show NM photos...

I've got alot to look forward too :clap
  6. WaywardSon

WaywardSon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cannonshot-While my current bike is not capable of this kind of ride, a report like yours makes me want to get one that is. What a truly great and interesting way to cross this great country of ours. I know that you had to have spent a great deal of time stopping to take pics...not to mention the time involved in getting the report together and posting the report. Thank you again for doing so.

Having lived in several metropolitan areas...Boston, N.Y.C., San Francisco, Paris etc., and grown up in Kentucky...I can tell you that there are good people in any area. However, when you stick to the more remote rural areas the percentage of really great folks goes way up. Henry of course truly ROCKS and is special by any standard. I am sure however, that he thought nothing of it...he lives there and knows what it means to be stuck in the middle of nowhere without help. Leaving you alone out there never entered his mind. Huge props to all the Henry's of the world.
  7. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    Great Job Brian.:clap

You still had at least 500 miles left on that TKC. There is a lot of rubber left before you get to the cords, don't ask how I know.

Now all you need is a slick looking high fender, and the strom will really look mean.

Henry,

It's nice to know people like you are still around. You're a great man.:thumb
  8. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Yeah, NM was a big question mark for me in my planning. Hope I painted a clearer picture than what I had.

As a matter of clean up information, I think it was about 200 miles from Guymon, OK to Branson, CO. My last fuel was at Boise City, OK. From there it was about 120 miles to Branson (about 70 mi from NM-OK border). The next fuel stop that I know of (Trinidad, CO) is about 50 miles beyond that (45 miles to Kim, CO if you are going back east). Fuel margins can be tight in NM.
    [​IMG]
  9. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Well Gos, at least you guys won't have any dust to deal with. . .
    [​IMG]
  10. Seth S

Seth S Deleted

Oddometer:
    I dont remember worrying about fuel a whole lot...but then again I had about a 240 mile range on the ktm. Now when I reconsider it on my DRZ I am starting to understand the picture. but I dont remember boise city (pronounced boyce) to trinidad being all that hard. Even in the desert I was able to cruise at 50 mph which with the bikes tall gearing really sipped the gas.
  11. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    Here's what I have scheduled:
    We will meet in Morehead Kentucky at the Days Inn, it's at the head of the Daniel Boone National Forest on Sat 9/22.

SATURDAY NIGHT 9/22 Morehead Kentucky

RIDING DAY 1 - 210 MILES
    SUNDAY NIGHT 2/23 JELLICO TN

RIDING DAY 2 - 193 MILES
    MONDAY NIGHT 9/24 SPARTA TN

RIDING DAY 3 - 200 MILES
    tUES. NIGHT 9/25 LAWRENCEBURG TN

RIDING DAY 4 - 258 MILES
    WEDS NIGHT 9/26 HOLLY SPRINGS MS

RIDING DAY 5 - 215 MILES
    THURS NIGHT 9/27 CLARENDON ARK

RIDING DAY 6 - 219 MILES
    FRI NIGHT 9/28 RUSSELVILLE ARK

RIDING DAY 7 - 230 MILES
    FRI NIGHT 9/28 ARKANSAS/OKLAHOMA BORDER, SILOAM SPRINGS OK

RIDING DAY 8 - 350 miles
    SAT NIGHT 9/29 HARDTNER KANSAS/OKLAHOMA

[SIZE=-1]RIDING DAY 9 - 300 MILES
    SUNDAY NIGHT 9/30 BOISE OK. NEAR NEW MEXICO BORDER

RIDING DAY 10-160 MILES
    MONDAY NIGHT TRINADA COLORADO

APPX. TAT MILEAGE 2175

HEAD FOR HOME, ABOUT 1800 MILES.

Any constructive critisim or tips Cannonshot ?
    [/SIZE]
  12. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I was comfortable gas wise as well on my DL with a 5+ gallon tank. The riding was not difficult at all (even in the DL with 6" of clearance) where it was dry so it would be easy to keep good mileage. Of course once it started to get wet, things went to hell fast - as it does in some other areas as well.

I just went back and looked up the mileage on the maps.
    Boise City to the NM border approx 40 miles.
    NM border to Branson approx 70 miles.
    Branson to Trinidad approx 50 miles.
    Total run between fuel stops without backtracking 160 miles.
  13. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Frank,

Looks you have a solid plan there that looks quite reasonable. What sometimes happens to me is that I will achieve the day's objective at about 3:00PM and then I have to weigh sitting around the rest of the day versus comfortably continuing on and knocking off some more miles. For example, I think I got to Sparta (from Jellico) at about 1:00PM. I rode on and ended up in in Columbia in the evening - a 400 mile day.

I was pretty comfortable on the DL so it was easy for spend 10-12 hours on the route each day (with plenty of stops). (Come to think of it, I sometimes do the same on my DRZ uncomfortable as it is . . .).

My advice would be that (if you can) you stay flexible and ride as far as you are comfortable early on. If you can bank some extra miles it makes it nice if something causes a delay later on and it eliminates some of the background anxiety about having to make each day's objective/mileage.

Overall, I was pretty lucky with the weather. For sure, some areas can be bad if it is too wet. There is nothing significant a rider is going to miss by going around a problem section. (The scenery repeats itself many, many times.) Don't hesitate to be conservative on making those calls. A whole trip with a few go arounds is better than a partial trip interrupted or cut short by some kind of problems.

I'm no expert on this thing - I only made one run at it. I'm sure others can offer the benefit of their experience as well.
    nowimfound likes this.
  14. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    :thumb Advise taken !
  15. Vinnie the Snake

Vinnie the Snake Long timer

Oddometer:
    Frank, is this trip in September that you are planning, If you need a place near Tulsa for a quick bike check and dry place, Let me know.

I did the Arkansas TAT a few weeks ago. Leaving on 26-May for OK, NM, and CO on my 1976 DT400C just to say I rode it on a Vintage Bike. I also rode part of NM, and Colorado last year alone. Now just trying to get it all in the books, it has been a great trip so far.

PM if you want to make Tulsa Area a Stop. about 30 miles off the TAT route.
  16. Vinnie the Snake

Vinnie the Snake Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great story and adventure, thanks for sharing. When is the next trip.
  17. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    Vinnie, Hey thanks for the offer and Ill keep that in mind for sure. I just may take you up on that. :thumb

Yea, last 2 weeks of Sept. Trying to avoid the spring rains and the brutal summer heat. Blue skies and 80 degrees is my hope. Nothing fun about changing a flat in July in the middle of Oklahoma where it's 101 in the shade........wait there is no shade ! :lol3

Trying to decide wether to book motel rooms ahead of time now. I read alot of threads here about guys not being able to get a room upon arrival on the trail.
  18. AndrewAnonymous

AndrewAnonymous Making things worse.

Oddometer:
    :thumb

you still got a few miles on that tkc.
  19. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in

Oddometer:
    when the grasshopper turns into the mole, then you know you've won

:thumb
  20. bthebert

bthebert Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great report, Bryan, per usual. Thanks for sharing.

I've taken a bit of a sabbatical and the Trans-America Trail is on my agenda for later this summer, before hockey season starts back up. The advance intelligence provided by your report will be invaluable.

Over Easter I rode some of the 1830's-vintage roads in North Carolina that were part of the Cherokee "Trail of Tears"; looks like your route hit some of that as well (albeit further West).

Can't wait to see you in Michigan.

Best,

Bill