Big Bike Solo on the Trans-Am Trail (TN-MS-AR-OK-NM)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Cannonshot, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Earlier I mentioned that I had two books that covered camping that was free (or at least $12 or less). They covered some less visible opportunities such as Corps of Engineers or municipal sites. Had an inquiry about them so I'll post the titles here.

Don Wrights Guide to Free Campgrounds Eastern Edition - Now Includes Campgrounds 12 and Under in the 29 Eastern States (Paperback)

Don Wright's Guide to Free Campgrounds: Western Edition (12th Edition) (Paperback)

Easy to find on the internet. I'm sure there are other good books on the same subject but these are what I used.
  2. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    There are less than 20 people in the world that will be able to interpret the campfire wisdom of our mutual biologist friend. . .:lol3
  3. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Bill,

This trip is perfect for your bike and set up. Being the professional photographer that you are, we are looking forward to some higher quality pictures from you than the snapshots I got. :lol3 Don't hesitate to ask for more info if you need it.
  4. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Vin,

I'm sure it won't be long . . . but I have yet to recover from this one.:D
  5. mogwai

mogwai humorless prick

Oddometer:
    Twenty have observed it. Fewer can interpret it. :evil
  6. TheYeti

TheYeti Hard to be Humble

Oddometer:
    :clap

I loved your report, The winds in OK, Kansas,eastern Co. are fun, aren't they... NOT. On US 50 I would ride on the white line just so I'd have 8-10 feet of gust room. Semis suck too. It really wears you out fighting that wind. I got the shit scared out of me a couple of times with oncomming semi's.

I always find it truely inspiring that people come out of the woodwork
    to help a rider ,you find this again and again in ride reports

Cudos to Henry, and all the other people who helped you out of a tight
    spot. It really renewes your faith in people.

Once again Great Report :D
  7. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Doesn't look like Gos is catching too many breaks on his ride. First rain in Tennessee and now this . . . should be an interesting ride report - mud.
    [​IMG]
  8. rokklym

rokklym one man wolfpack

Oddometer:
    I observed it, can't interpret it, but I know its true. The journey for knowledge continues.:huh
  9. flyingbeard

flyingbeard Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice Job Bryan.:clap Thanks for sharing.
  10. kittycactus

kittycactus Banned

Oddometer:
    Wow, I feel tired just reading this report. Great job Bryan! Ranchers are the salt of the earth and Henry's a wonderful example. Sounds like you're into snakes and that wonderful red clay mud out west! :D
  11. leahyz

leahyz Gigantic Tool

Oddometer:
    This goes in my book as another great hread to re-read on a crappy rainy or snowy day. I am going to try to get a start on the trail later this fall (September-ish). I think I may only get the first state (will llikely be a 3-4 day weekend trip)

What would be awesome is if someone near the start of the route could allow a few of us numb-skulls setting out on the route (all of us :D) to use a garage/tools/driveway/whatever is available. I would love to be able to ride down on a set of old and nearly shot tires and haul a fresh set of TKCs with me to swap before the start. That would help keep from wearing out knobs on the paved routes to Jellico. Yeah I can change them at the hotel/campsite too, but talk and abuse... err... advice always makes the work more fun.

Anyone ever in northern indiana needs the same, I'd gladly roll up the door and loan you the tools. :freaky
  12. flyinfuzz

flyinfuzz 2 Quarts low

Oddometer:
    Said it before,you all need anything I have a 40 X 80 heated shop w/air tools cold beer BBQ and camping space just off the trail at Catoosa. Hell I have even been known to go haul in a dead BMW or two. This applies to any and all that need help.Anyone in the Eastern part needs to watch for fallen trees and road edge washouts.We had app. 4" of rain on the 5th. Some of the bridges on Catoosa still have crap on them from being underwater. :freaky
  13. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    You suck Bryan. Were the same age. I'm working like a dog and you're retired, touring the world. I should've stayed in the Navy.:D
  14. touche

touche RidAventure maniac

Oddometer:
    Thanks FlyinFuzz we will ride this section inthe week of May 21... I will pm you to get contact info.

Our thread is http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211218
  15. touche

touche RidAventure maniac

Oddometer:
    Thanks Cannonshot for all that report, I will be riding the TN, MS and AR from May 21 to May 25, your report is providing me so much info...

Hope we make a trip as satisfying as yours...

I will try to provide some ride report after my trip, but being following yours is quite a challenge :evil
  16. Bimble

Bimble In giro in moto

Oddometer:
    Fantastic trip, Bryan! I just finished soaking it in.

And thank you Henry for taking care of a friend and traveller.

:thumb
  17. skeeter

skeeter Captain Safety

Oddometer:
    Great report Cannon!

I'm only 6 pages into it so far, but it looks like you had a great adventure.
  18. SScratch

SScratch Somewhat Tolerable

Oddometer:
    Great ride and report, Bryan. Sorry we didn't hook up while you were here. How lucky you were to have met such great people like Henry along the way to step up and help when you needed it.

Regarding the TKC, I have been getting around 6k miles per set on my Dakar, doing trips out west with a lot of interstate thrown in even. I hear the heavier bikes, especially the big GS's, don't get anywhere near as much.

Regarding the mud in NM, my buddy Brendan and I hit that same stretch in the dark one night. We had been approaching a thunderstorm in the far distance all afternoon but never did catch up with it. You can see it up the road in this pic:
    [​IMG]

We did catch up with where it had been just after dark though. We had been riding about a quarter mile apart because of dust with Brendan in the lead. He hit that mud unexpectantly in the dark and crashed pretty good, tearing off a saddlebag.
    [​IMG]

When I hit it the bike got all squirrelly and I thought I had a flat at first. I stopped to check my tires and found this:
    [​IMG]

Glad I have a high fender.
    [​IMG]

Trying to ride in it was futile.
    [​IMG]

We turned around and rode back to where it was dry, threw down a plastic ground cloth and a thermarest and called it a day. Brendan is rolled up in that fancy blue plastic tarp cuz he's a bit of a yuppie.
    [​IMG]

If you have plans to finish the TAT on the DRZ, I wouldn't mind joining you. Maybe we could get those two Michiganders to to leave their comfy and familiar environs for a change too.

Again, excellent report.
  19. DualSportDad

DualSportDad Long timer

Oddometer:
    wow, i just read from page one to page 13 in one sitting and a few beers :1drink. that's a awsome ride report. i hope to do TAT one day. that looks like a dream come true.

Very nice of Henry to help you out so much. nice of that guy on the bull dozer to help you out of that ditch as well. have fun and keep riding, i'm looking forward to more ride reports from you in the future.
  20. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Good luck to you guys on your trip! I hope the weather treats you good. Take time to enjoy some of the things you happen upon along the way.

I am anxious to hear how gosling1 did on his trip as I noticed there was quite a bit of rain while they were on the trail. Hope it went well.